"The Harvin Effect" by Dave Wyman

ivotuk

Reaction score
"These six plays accounted for a little over 200 yards – some tangible, some intangible. Whether Harvin touches the ball, draws a defender, throws a block or forces an opponent to adjust to him, he's having a significant effect on the game that is unique. Not bad for just 16 plays. If this is any indication of what the Seahawks can expect from him, this team has yet another valuable playmaker on the roster."

http://mynorthwest.com/384/2397260/Dave-Wyman-The-Percy-Harvin-Effect

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Yeah, and that was only a taste. The vikings knew he wouldn't get much action, so they didn't play/gameplam him too aggressively. The saints are in the same boat, they dont know how we are gonna use him and can only go back to old Minnesota tapes to get an idea of how we could, but the advantage there is definitely on our side. Here in 3-4 weeks or whatever, we'll get a much better idea on how defenses react/gameplan for harvin.

sutz

Reaction score
Most importantly, Harvin fits in whether he gets the ball or not. He's willing to do the dirty work of blocking, attracting a defender or forcing a kickoff away from him. On a team with great chemistry that is already winning, that is the most vital effect he can have.

Gotta love that quote. Apparently he's not a diva WR out for personal glory, but interested in helping the team win any way he can. After some of the 'star' WRs we've brought in and sent packing, that's kind of refreshing.

:th2thumbs:

JonRud

Reaction score
Reading this article made me very happy.

plyka

Reaction score
sutz":2sxe2nt8 said:
Most importantly, Harvin fits in whether he gets the ball or not. He's willing to do the dirty work of blocking, attracting a defender or forcing a kickoff away from him. On a team with great chemistry that is already winning, that is the most vital effect he can have.

Gotta love that quote. Apparently he's not a diva WR out for personal glory, but interested in helping the team win any way he can. After some of the 'star' WRs we've brought in and sent packing, that's kind of refreshing.

He is a Diva WR, they are all Diva WRs, especially Percy. Don't give him a break because he is your guy, so he has to be perfect in each and every way. Percy is a diva, he is also one of the best WRs in the league, it's a nice mix and I'd take it day in day out.

sutz

Reaction score
plyka":3154paa9 said:
sutz":3154paa9 said:

He is a Diva WR, they are all Diva WRs, especially Percy. Don't give him a break because he is your guy, so he has to be perfect in each and every way. Percy is a diva, he is also one of the best WRs in the league, it's a nice mix and I'd take it day in day out.
We've had divas in here. TO comes to mind. IMHO the term applies to players who take plays off, don't participate in the running game, don't block because it's 'beneath' them and whine about not getting more touches. They don't last long with Pete in charge.

From the article, it sounds like Percy is showing the right attitude to survive on our roster. And he's not "my guy." I was actually a little iffy with the whole deal. Thought we spent too much, and hope what he showed Sunday continues.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
I think people are confusing Percy's 'I want to win/succeed' attitude with being a diva. Percy is more of a 'I demand success' kind of guy than he is a 'throw me the damn ball even if I'm covered' t.o type of guy. All in all, he holds people accountable.

Being a life long gator fan and percy being my all time fav gator, it was a blast watching him. I'm sure there is a *small* element of diva to him, but not to the extent that butthurt Vikings fans make him out to be. He just demands success and holds people accountable.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I see your point but I think you are making some erroneous assumptions there Plyka. Your definition of a diva is probably a lot different than others. But I would agree with sutz that Percy is not a diva wide receiver, he doesn't clammer for the microphone and camera, he doesn't draw attention to himself when he makes a great catch or return, (he gets excited but doesn't stop to do a dance), but he does have an attitude and that attitude is what makes him great.

Percy loves to feel "dissed" because it motivates him and that attitude, starting prior to college, has made him the success that he is. He has a fire in him that drives him to be the best and he is emotional. Admittedly, he has matured since Florida but even there he wasn't a diva.

I have been pleasantly surprised at his maturity, especially his public and vocal appreciation of the Vikings organization and everything they did for him. I never saw any indication that this was a revenge game for him but instead was a prove it game to his fellow Seahawks and Seahawks fans. He wanted to show everyone that he was worth the draft picks and the big contract, and I believe he did that.

I posted a while back about Harvin being our Desmond Howard, i.e. the player that gets us over the hump and wins the Superbowl. Mike Holmgren attributed some of the success in Green Bay's Superbowl win to having Desmond on the team and the boost that he gave them. Percy Harvin is a much better player than Desmond and if you want an example of a diva, Desmond Howard is your man.

At one point, Howard was late getting out on the field because he didn't like to be seen in a dirty jersey and was still in the locker room putting on a clean jersey. However, he was the Superbowl MVP that day and the difference in the game.

I for one am really glad we traded for him and paid him all that money. I am especially proud of our team and our organization for showing the patience they did with bringing him back. You never once heard any complaining coming from the Seahawks about a guy being paid so much but not playing. I don't remember ever hearing it from a fan either.

Pete and John invested a lot in Percy Harvin and if he is the engine that gets us to a Superbowl win, he will be worth every penny. Taking in to account that he's only 25, I think John stole him from Minnesota for a 1st, 3rd and a 7th. A known quantity for those picks? I'll take it.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
This is what I have been waiting to see since we signed him. You had to know that it wasn't ever going to just be "get the ball to Percy and stand back". It is the intangibles that he forces into the mix that will make our offense so much more dynamic. His just being on the field has to open things up for the other receivers. I can't say for certain but I suspect the "Harvin Efffect" was partly responsible for Wilson being able to hit 8 different targets that day! I think that alone opens the playbook up a bit. Now lets see what Bevell can do with it!

mrinsatiable

Reaction score
Harvin..bring a lot of positive things for the team..but the seahawks success is based of the team's multiple weapons and not just one person. The strength of the bunch is always stronger than the single individual. Great article by DW

formido

Reaction score
It should be clear after one game that we're going to use Harvin more dynamically than Minnesota did. Minnesota, perhaps due to Ponder, and perhaps before Ponder due to Favre having more receiving threats, hardly ever threw deep to Harvin. Having to play Harvin across the whole field, like on that 50 yard PI last game, is going to make him, and us, SO much more dangerous.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
akscoundrel":2bm0ihkg said:
I think people are confusing Percy's 'I want to win/succeed' attitude with being a diva. Percy is more of a 'I demand success' kind of guy than he is a 'throw me the damn ball even if I'm covered' t.o type of guy. All in all, he holds people accountable.

He just demands success and holds people accountable.

having been in MN during his fall out here this is also very accurate. He wanted to win so bad that he berated the coach for leaving in an ineffective QB.

The funny thing, MN radio has been debating all week whether "Percy was right"... and almost all agree.

he went about it poorly, and hopefully learned from it. but he's no diva in the sense of others. (and honestly TO was similar early in his career with SF and Philly. dude wanted to win)

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1uuj6qko said:
akscoundrel":1uuj6qko said:

He just demands success and holds people accountable.

having been in MN during his fall out here this is also very accurate. He wanted to win so bad that he berated the coach for leaving in an ineffective QB.

The funny thing, MN radio has been debating all week whether "Percy was right"... and almost all agree.

he went about it poorly, and hopefully learned from it. but he's no diva in the sense of others. (and honestly TO was similar early in his career with SF and Philly. dude wanted to win)

I'm curious with you being over there in the thick of it, what were there thoughts about the migraines. Do they realize they were legit, or do they just think he was bluffing and just didn't want to play/have an attitude problem?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Mitch Levy said he saw Harvin sort of blow up on the sideline after Pete decided to put Turbin in on a kick return. Said Baldwin had to calm him down. Again, they also pointed to his ultra-competitiveness as being the driving force. I can appreciate that, but there's certainly a fine line here. These kind of things can also be a distraction, even if they're coming from a good place.

But I'm not worried about it. I can understand where Percy was coming from since it was an emotional return from him.