"The Harvin Effect" by Dave Wyman

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3s8y8xb6 said:
akscoundrel":3s8y8xb6 said:
I think people are confusing Percy's 'I want to win/succeed' attitude with being a diva. Percy is more of a 'I demand success' kind of guy than he is a 'throw me the damn ball even if I'm covered' t.o type of guy. All in all, he holds people accountable.

He just demands success and holds people accountable.

having been in MN during his fall out here this is also very accurate. He wanted to win so bad that he berated the coach for leaving in an ineffective QB.

The funny thing, MN radio has been debating all week whether "Percy was right"... and almost all agree.

he went about it poorly, and hopefully learned from it. but he's no diva in the sense of others. (and honestly TO was similar early in his career with SF and Philly. dude wanted to win)

Probably several factors in play with Percy. You have a guy that is literally a best of the best world class track & field athlete that probably could have been an Olympian, combined with a competitive inner fire that burns red hot, combined with possibly a little immaturity... for people who are that incredibly gifted and naturally good at something, they can find it quite frustrating that those around them can't keep up with them, so to speak.

With maturity Percy's figuring IT out and the seahawks are probably the perfect place for him right now... he's got a athletically talented team aournd him and he's got an incredibly, beyond his years, mature QB that he won't be able to out work.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Ninety percent of this game is half mental.

This reminds me of those pesky word problems.

So........If Ninety percent of the game is half mental............what percentage of the game is mental?

:lol:

Laloosh

Reaction score
1) With 1:29 left in the first quarter, Harvin lined up in a slot formation with Doug Baldwin flanking him on his right. The Vikings were playing man defense with a single safety over the top. Although quarterback Russell Wilson did a great job of looking the safety off to his left, it was Harvin beating his man-to-man coverage cleanly that caught the safety's attention. Once he bit on Harvin's route, Baldwin was able to get open more easily on the outside and beat the defender for a 44-yard reception.

Harvin safety sm zps1a7619c4

And that is a BIG deal. Really helps the rest of the offense when you have a guy who can put the fear of God into a safety and force them to help their corners and backers, leaving your other receivers in a 1:1 situation.

Laloosh

Reaction score
seedhawk":s1quh03t said:
It also really helped Baldwin that the CB slipped and fell.

Granted. Still nice to have 1:1 on the outside (you know, in case a CB slips) w/ no help.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
sutz":27ewnvmz said:
Most importantly, Harvin fits in whether he gets the ball or not. He's willing to do the dirty work of blocking, attracting a defender or forcing a kickoff away from him. On a team with great chemistry that is already winning, that is the most vital effect he can have.

Gotta love that quote. Apparently he's not a diva WR out for personal glory, but interested in helping the team win any way he can. After some of the 'star' WRs we've brought in and sent packing, that's kind of refreshing.

:th2thumbs:
Demanding the same level of excellence from others that he does from himself is not diva behavior in the accepted sense.He has NEVER been accused of taking plays off like Randy Moss for example.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
ivotuk":15rmdn8c said:
I see your point but I think you are making some erroneous assumptions there Plyka. Your definition of a diva is probably a lot different than others. But I would agree with sutz that Percy is not a diva wide receiver, he doesn't clammer for the microphone and camera, he doesn't draw attention to himself when he makes a great catch or return, (he gets excited but doesn't stop to do a dance), but he does have an attitude and that attitude is what makes him great.

Percy loves to feel "dissed" because it motivates him and that attitude, starting prior to college, has made him the success that he is. He has a fire in him that drives him to be the best and he is emotional. Admittedly, he has matured since Florida but even there he wasn't a diva.

I have been pleasantly surprised at his maturity, especially his public and vocal appreciation of the Vikings organization and everything they did for him. I never saw any indication that this was a revenge game for him but instead was a prove it game to his fellow Seahawks and Seahawks fans. He wanted to show everyone that he was worth the draft picks and the big contract, and I believe he did that.

I posted a while back about Harvin being our Desmond Howard, i.e. the player that gets us over the hump and wins the Superbowl. Mike Holmgren attributed some of the success in Green Bay's Superbowl win to having Desmond on the team and the boost that he gave them. Percy Harvin is a much better player than Desmond and if you want an example of a diva, Desmond Howard is your man.

At one point, Howard was late getting out on the field because he didn't like to be seen in a dirty jersey and was still in the locker room putting on a clean jersey. However, he was the Superbowl MVP that day and the difference in the game.

I for one am really glad we traded for him and paid him all that money. I am especially proud of our team and our organization for showing the patience they did with bringing him back. You never once heard any complaining coming from the Seahawks about a guy being paid so much but not playing. I don't remember ever hearing it from a fan either.

Pete and John invested a lot in Percy Harvin and if he is the engine that gets us to a Superbowl win, he will be worth every penny. Taking in to account that he's only 25, I think John stole him from Minnesota for a 1st, 3rd and a 7th. A known quantity for those picks? I'll take it.
I would agree with you a lot if the guy could play a reasonable number of games, but if he's missing 10 games a year then I feel a bit ripped off. It still remains to be seen. He's only a year older than Wilson--those two could be ripping off big plays together for years to come--you're talking Montana/Rice if it works out (sorry about the Niners reference).

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
akscoundrel":1lnrfbld said:
I think people are confusing Percy's 'I want to win/succeed' attitude with being a diva. Percy is more of a 'I demand success' kind of guy than he is a 'throw me the damn ball even if I'm covered' t.o type of guy. All in all, he holds people accountable.

Being a life long gator fan and percy being my all time fav gator, it was a blast watching him. I'm sure there is a *small* element of diva to him, but not to the extent that butthurt Vikings fans make him out to be. He just demands success and holds people accountable.
Oh hell yeah Percy's a diva! TOTALLY. What he is NOT is a prima-donna. Oh christ no.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Before this season he missed 4 games in 4 years. He is not injury prone in the sense of missing games like a Danny Amendola for example.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
sutz":h0pwruys said:
Most importantly, Harvin fits in whether he gets the ball or not. He's willing to do the dirty work of blocking, attracting a defender or forcing a kickoff away from him. On a team with great chemistry that is already winning, that is the most vital effect he can have.

Gotta love that quote. Apparently he's not a diva WR out for personal glory, but interested in helping the team win any way he can. After some of the 'star' WRs we've brought in and sent packing, that's kind of refreshing.

:th2thumbs:
:Demanding the same level of excellence from others that he does from himself is not diva behavior in the accepted sense.He has NEVER been accused of taking plays off like Randy Moss for example.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
formido":2m15xvrh said:

Having to play Harvin across the whole field, like on that 50 yard PI last game, is going to make him, and us, SO much more dangerous.

....you mean "DangeRuss"? ;)

HawkWow

Reaction score
akscoundrel":1g5m7d6d said:

Being a life long gator fan and percy being my all time fav gator, it was a blast watching him. I'm sure there is a *small* element of diva to him, but not to the extent that butthurt Vikings fans make him out to be. He just demands success and holds people accountable.

OMG. You are accurate. More accurate than you realize. Harvin to date, has definitely been all about "I want to succeed" and "I want success". No mention of team in that. "Butthurt Viking fans"? That's pretty chilly, all things considered. As a close follower of Harvin's, you are likely familiar with what really went down in Minnesota (and Florida). If you forgot, let me remind you.

Harvin had 3 problems with the Vikes. In order:

1) Upon learning his former teammate Aaron Hernandez got a lucrative extension from the Pats, Harvin said he'd "sit out the year" if he didn't get the same deal. He didn't, but had no leverage... but coincidently, that's when the migraines began. Along with virus', missed practices, missed camp, missed games, missed rookie symposium, etc. Some say he missed more practices than he attended. I don't see anything resembling "a demand for excellence" in any of that.

2) The Vikes, needing to bring in a #1 WR, were negotiating a deal to bring in Mike Wallace. Harvin, aware of Wallace's expected salary, told the Vike FO that he'd "sit the year" (again) if they brought in Wallace. He then threw a barbell at Childress and challenged him to a fistfight. Harvin clearly didn't give a damn about the team.

3) Ponder was not Favre. Harvin melted down on National TV and launched a profanity laced tirade against Leslie Frazier because Ponder sucked. This is the game Harvin sprained his ankle. The initial prognosis for the ankle was 2-3 weeks. But instead of rehabbing with the team, he took off elsewhere and wouldn't say where. This is when the FO decided to put "the most dangerous man in football", also on pace for MVP honors, on IR, with 2 months of football left. They decided right then, they were finished with Harvin. I applaud those "butt hurt Vikes" for that.

As a Gator fan, you recall him grabbing an assistant coach by the throat and throwing him to the ground. You likely recall Urban Meyer covering for both he and Hernandez over their pot smoking. This was later substantiated when Harvin pissed dirty at the combine. This is all public knowledge. Google for validation.

I am just glad we have a championship team without Harvin. If we were building a team around him, I'd be nervous. Have we already been stung by Harvin? Did the team docs clear him to play, but he chose to have the surgery now, instead of following their recommendation he do so in the off-season?

Let's not get carried away because Harvin is now a Hawk. In reality, this deal is what's wrong with Pro sports. Act up, be a cancer and be rewarded handsomely when you're shipped off elsewhere. In signing Harvin, we perpetuated this madness. Had Harvin signed with SF, this forum would loathe him for his past. Instead, he was just "demanding excellence" and "holding people accountable". C'mon people. That's just vomit inducing.

I fully expect to get flamed for not falling in line and sugarcoating the story of Percy Harvin. Doing so will say more about you, than me. You want to flame someone? flame Harvin. He wrote the story, I'm just reporting it.

I will say here that despite his numerous transgressions, I am STOKED he's a Seahawk. I will also say here.... that makes me a hypocrite. So be it. I'm a hypocrite that needs a championship.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
HawkWow":3tsfwx6t said:
akscoundrel":3tsfwx6t said:

OMG. You are accurate. More accurate than you realize. Harvin to date, has definitely been all about "I want to succeed" and "I want success". No mention of team in that. "Butthurt Viking fans"? That's pretty chilly, all things considered. As a close follower of Harvin's, you are likely familiar with what really went down in Minnesota (and Florida). If you forgot, let me remind you.

1) Upon learning his former teammate Aaron Hernandez got a lucrative extension from the Pats, Harvin said he'd "sit out the year" if he didn't get the same deal. He didn't, but had no leverage... but coincidently, that's when the migraines began. Along with virus', missed practices, missed camp, missed games, missed rookie symposium, etc. Some say he missed more practices than he attended. I don't see anything resembling "a demand for excellence" in any of that.

2) The Vikes, needing to bring in a #1 WR, were negotiating a deal to bring in Mike Wallace. Harvin, aware of Wallace's expected salary, told the Vike FO that he'd "sit the year" (again) if they brought in Wallace. He then threw a barbell at Childress and challenged him to a fistfight. Harvin clearly didn't give a damn about the team.

3) Ponder was not Favre. Harvin melted down on National TV and launched a profanity laced tirade against Leslie Frazier because Ponder sucked. This is the game Harvin sprained his ankle. The initial prognosis for the ankle was 2-3 weeks. But instead of rehabbing with the team, he took off elsewhere and wouldn't say where. This is when the FO decided to put "the most dangerous man in football", also on pace for MVP honors, on IR, with 2 months of football left. They decided right then, they were finished with Harvin. I applaud those "butt hurt Vikes" for that.

As a Gator fan, you recall him grabbing an assistant coach by the throat and throwing him to the ground. You likely recall Urban Meyer covering for both he and Hernandez over their pot smoking. This was later substantiated when Harvin pissed dirty at the combine. This is all public knowledge. Google for validation.

I am just glad we have a championship team without Harvin. If we were building a team around him, I'd be nervous. Have we already been stung by Harvin? Did the team docs clear him to play, but he chose to have the surgery now, instead of following their recommendation he do so in the off-season?

Let's not get carried away because Harvin is now a Hawk. In reality, this deal is what's wrong with Pro sports. Act up, be a cancer and be rewarded handsomely when you're shipped off elsewhere. In signing Harvin, we perpetuated this madness. Had Harvin signed with SF, this forum would loathe him for his past. Instead, he was just "demanding excellence" and "holding people accountable". C'mon people. That's just vomit inducing.

I fully expect to get flamed for not falling in line and sugarcoating the story of Percy Harvin. Doing so will say more about you, than me. You want to flame someone? flame Harvin. He wrote the story, I'm just reporting it.

I will say here that despite his numerous transgressions, I am STOKED he's a Seahawk. I will also say here.... that makes me a hypocrite. So be it. I'm a hypocrite that needs a championship.

So I guess we will conveniently forget/ignore the fact that percy has been suffering from migraines from day one? All through college, and into the pros. The vikings knew about them when drafting him, and the Vikings confirmed them through their own testing. They didn't just pop up out of nowhere.

And yeah, he's not perfect. As always, there is an element of truth, and an element of the media stretching the truth. As far as his pot smoking, yes. He tested positive. The vikings still drafted him. Coincidently, weed happens to be very medicinal/therapeutic to somebody who suffers from migraines. You can google that if you like. All in all, its ridiculous imo that weed is even an issue in this country.

Ultimately, did he have some maturing to do coming out of college? Yes. Does he have more to do? Yes. Is he in a good place with people to help him through the process? Hell yes.

I also want to say.......its about time some viking player or fan threw a barbell at childress!

Note: I realize I was a little to brash with the term 'butthurt'. They were certainly hurt, and now they are the lover scorned.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":2ux4xumd said:
akscoundrel":2ux4xumd said:

3) Ponder was not Favre. Harvin melted down on National TV and launched a profanity laced tirade against Leslie Frazier because Ponder sucked. This is the gname Harvin sprained his ankle. The initial prognosis for the ankle was 2-3 weeks. But instead of rehabbing with the team, he took off elsewhere and wouldn't say where. This is when the FO decided to put "the most dangerous man in football", also on pace for MVP honors, on IR, with 2 months of football left. They decided right then, they were finished with Harvin. I applaud those "butt hurt Vikes" for that.

There seems to be a lot of inaccuracies with your post as well. I'm on a phone here so I'll just point out one. You say Harvin's migraines coincidentally started after Aaron Hernandez got his contract extension? Hernandez received his extension the August before the start of the 2012 season. Harvin's migraine issues were an issue all the way back to his rookie year, and hadn't had one for two years as of April 2013, so you are completely wrong on that one (Google for validation). You're right, you could get flamed for your post, but it will probably be because you're putting things together that don't even belong together. It just comes off as "witch hunt" type post.

Wee-Bey

Reaction score
HawkWow":1q3k40wo said:
akscoundrel":1q3k40wo said:

This post is littered with so many inaccuracies it isn't even worth addressing. I'd go as far as to say you fabricated a good portion of it.

Latest posts