Deshawn Shead (remember him) gets another raise

-The Glove-

Reaction score
to a ridiculous amount for a practice squad player. I don't know what it means other than PC and JS seem to really like the guy and giving him sort of a good-faith pay raise.

Late last month, the Seattle Seahawks increased the practice squad salary of versatile defensive back DeShawn Shead to $8,500 per week, well above the $6,000 per week minimum stipulated in the league's collective bargaining agreement.

The Seahawks gave Shead another raise this week, a league source confirmed, increasing his practice squad salary from $8,500 per week to $28,235, which is the same amount that Shead would earn if he were on the Seattle's 53-man roster.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2013/10/seahawks-paying-practice-squad.html?m=1

CANHawk

Reaction score
I like Shead.

With BB now starting to look a little vulnerable (plus being an RFA after this year) and Thurmond's injury history, things start looking a little thin at corner with only Lane and Maxwell left in the stable. Shead is potentially a really good corner and a known commodity. If a few extra bucks keeps him in the fold to compete for a roster spot next year, then it's money well spent IMO. Not like it goes against the cap or anything, so who cares...

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
CAN: BB's a UFA, actually. His season with the Broncos counted. I thought the same thing about him being a RFA, but the helpful posters here clued me in with a few citations from people in the know. So yeah, keeping Shead around is even MORE important.

I wonder how Tharold Simon is doing with his studying as well, on that note. I have high hopes for him to be able to step in for Browner next year.

Cartire

Reaction score
I'm interested in the narrative behind this. What would be the point of a raise for a practice squad guy and that much? What do that hawks have to gain from it?

I'm wondering if he needs help with something financial.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Cartire":rwppurtg said:
I'm interested in the narrative behind this. What would be the point of a raise for a practice squad guy and that much? What do that hawks have to gain from it?

Maybe he's getting promoted to the squad soon? Maybe a trade in the works?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Cartire":3rr7w43g said:

Can't another team poach from the practice squad, but the player has a choice in going to that team's roster?

So, my understanding is that if, say, Detroit wanted help with their secondary play, they could sign Shead and he would get at least three weeks on their roster at full pay.

So, maybe Shead was pursued by another team, and Schneider/Carroll envision him being on this team in an important role next year, so they gave him a raise to earn the same amount of game pay he would get if he signed with another team's roster in order to get him to stay.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I'm wondering that same thing Smelly. It seems like that would be the only reason for the raise, IMO.

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
Fairly good chance he's either been offered a contract or has had contact made by another team to bring him onto a 53 man roster. He'd prefer to stay with the Seahawks knowing it will be better for his development long term (maybe) and has probably declined the contract offer and been rewarded by the Seahawks for loyalty.. Or, he's gone to the Seahawks, said "I've been offered a minimum salary to be on the 53 of xxxx, I'll need to leave but I'd like to stay, can you match this?" and we have.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Trrrroy":56fck6lf said:
Is a practice squad player able to refuse being put on another team's 53?

Yes. They pass through waivers when they are first cut so all teams have a chance to sign them. If they are grabbed off waivers they don't have a choice.

Cartire

Reaction score
Trrrroy":ap7u1lci said:
I'm wondering that same thing Smelly. It seems like that would be the only reason for the raise, IMO.

From what I have read, yes they can refuse. But I don't have a legit source, so I could be wrong.

A team can counter an opposing teams request though by moving the player to their own 53.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Cartire":3lfuswru said:

Because it's probably a preemptive strike against another team signing him away. Remember when Chris Harper was signed off the practice Squad onto the 49ers active roster, it was reported that the Seahawks tried to keep him by increasing his salary, which would indicate that the player has a say to weather he wants to stay on the practice squad or sign onto another team's active roster.

I would imagine they forsee a team making a push to sign him to their active roster and the Seahawks are giving him a raise so he'll stay on the practice squad.

Cartire

Reaction score
jlwaters1":36csjhw0 said:
Cartire":36csjhw0 said:

Because it's probably a preemptive strike against another team signing him away. Remember when Chris Harper was signed off the practice Squad onto the 49ers active roster, it was reported that the Seahawks tried to keep him by increasing his salary, which would indicate that the player has a say to weather he wants to stay on the practice squad or sign onto another team's active roster.

I would imagine they forsee a team making a push to sign him to their active roster and the Seahawks are giving him a raise so he'll stay on the practice squad.

I'm pretty sure Harper was claimed off waivers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Cartire":2hdnarkm said:
jlwaters1":2hdnarkm said:
Cartire":2hdnarkm said:

Nope. He made it through.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Yes, the player has a choice. But it would make no sense for a practice squad player to turn down the chance of going on a 53 man roster and the money that would bring. So in my opinion they sat Shead and his agent down and made a deal with money and promises. If they see something in him it makes all the sense in the world. Remember that the Hawks aren't going to be able to pay this secondary on their next contracts as a group. So if you have a player that you think is a keeper with a lower salary by all means set it up.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
This is a pre-emptive (though perhaps reactive) strike to help minimize the chances of Shead accepting an active roster offer from another team by giving him a PS salary comparable to an active roster minimum salary, thereby reducing the short-term financial incentive for him to make the move elsewhere (again, if offered by another team). PS players do not have to accept another team's offer to be signed to their active roster, they are free to stay right where there are. So monetarily, this gives Shead a bit more reason to remain on Seattle's PS as a de facto '54th man' rather than moving to another team's 53-man active roster. This is likely also a good faith gesture by Seattle that Shead could be promoted to their active roster at some point later this season, as well as a reward for a job well done as a PS player thus far. Bottom line: it's indicative of Seattle's view of Shead as a long-term 'keeper.'

Tical21

Reaction score
Every practice I went to, he was one of the first ones out, went right to work, and one of the last ones back in. Like this kid.

Cartire

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":20a9wldt said:
This is a pre-emptive (though perhaps reactive) strike to help minimize the chances of Shead accepting an active roster offer from another team by giving him a PS salary comparable to an active roster minimum salary, thereby reducing the short-term financial incentive for him to make the move elsewhere (again, if offered by another team). PS players do not have to accept another team's offer to be signed to their active roster, they are free to stay right where there are. So monetarily, this gives Shead a bit more reason to remain on Seattle's PS as a de facto '54th man' rather than moving to another team's 53-man active roster. This is likely also a good faith gesture by Seattle that Shead could be promoted to their active roster at some point later this season, as well as a reward for a job well done as a PS player thus far. Bottom line: it's indicative of Seattle's view of Shead as a long-term 'keeper.'

Makes sense. I can buy that.

drdiags

Reaction score
Cartire":o6mvtfy8 said:

Harper was claimed off the Seahawks Practice Squad. He could have turned them down, thus the Seahawks trying to sweeten the pot. Last year Ricardo Lockette and a few other 9ers rejected advances by other teams to sign up for their 53-man roster. I think the details of the Practice Squad has been posted before. Will go see if there is a brief description and post it for all of us to check out.

EDIT: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/31/4677982/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility

The above link doesn't speak to the fact that players on the PS can reject any attempts by other teams to sign them off another team's PS roster. But it is known to happen as mentioned with the 9ers example. Usually it happens more like when the Packers tried to sign the Broncos WR which forced the Broncos to elevate him to the 53-man roster to keep him. Win-Win for the player on the PS being courted.

Latest posts