Deshawn Shead (remember him) gets another raise

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This for sure appears to be either a response to an overture from another team for Shead to sign with them or a preemptive move to attempt to secure Shead going forward.

I was surprised he cleared waivers to be added to the PS and clearly the team is interested in keeping him around going forward. I'd not be surprised to see him added to the 53 when the OLine woes are resolved. He has value as both a FS and situational nickel or dime CB and enough speed and physicality to also be a very good ST player.

The payment to him as such is a pretty good indicator the team wants him going forward.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
$28K for a PS player? Damn...I should have focused on football in school rather than academics.

Cartire

Reaction score
hawkfan68":w06lgpm8 said:
$28K for a PS player? Damn...I should have focused on football in school rather than academics.

That means that in less than two weeks, he will effectively make more then the average YEARLY salary. He probably laughs when he hears the word recession.

CHawks4L

Reaction score
My HS classmate was Shead's HS Football coach in Palmdale, CA. He raves about this kid of course, but not necessarily for his athletic/football abilities. He's got a great head on his shoulders and spends a lot of time working with kids and being a role model in his former community. Since I've been monitoring him in camp, I noticed he was one of the first three players out to practice all three times I attended.

Glad he is being rewarded for his efforts, and very glad he is showing loyalty to the Hawks!

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
CHawks4L":3j8804p9 said:
My HS classmate was Shead's HS Football coach in Palmdale, CA. He raves about this kid of course, but not necessarily for his athletic/football abilities. He's got a great head on his shoulders and spends a lot of time working with kids and being a role model in his former community. Since I've been monitoring him in camp, I noticed he was one of the first three players out to practice all three times I attended.

Glad he is being rewarded for his efforts, and very glad he is showing loyalty to the Hawks!

You're the second person in this thread to mention he's one of the first ones out practicing. That says a lot about his character and he's always looking to improve. Don't know much about the guy but I like him already

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Seems obvious. John Schneider has lost his marbles and is randomly awarding larger contracts to guys. We should replace him immediately.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Cartire":2wzxldsg said:
jlwaters1":2wzxldsg said:
Cartire":2wzxldsg said:
I'm interested in the narrative behind this. What would be the point of a raise for a practice squad guy and that much? What do that hawks have to gain from it?

I'm wondering if he needs help with something financial.

Because it's probably a preemptive strike against another team signing him away. Remember when Chris Harper was signed off the practice Squad onto the 49ers active roster, it was reported that the Seahawks tried to keep him by increasing his salary, which would indicate that the player has a say to weather he wants to stay on the practice squad or sign onto another team's active roster.

I would imagine they forsee a team making a push to sign him to their active roster and the Seahawks are giving him a raise so he'll stay on the practice squad.

I'm pretty sure Harper was claimed off waivers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, he was actually added to the practice squad and then signed a day or so later- It was also reported that the Seahawks made a strong push to keep him by giving him a raise, but he decided to take the 49ers active roster deal.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Cartire":dq60g2ky said:
hawkfan68":dq60g2ky said:

That means that in less than two weeks, he will effectively make more then the average YEARLY salary. He probably laughs when he hears the word recession.

No doubt. Shead is making more than the vet minimum as a PS player. If you project it for the year he's well over $1M. You'd pay that much for a PS player? Something doesn't seem right here. I wonder what the NFLPA would say about this or is it a non issue since he is not on the roster (per se).

SE174

Reaction score
Obviously Carroll wants to make sure he chooses to stick with us and not go somewhere else. I'm sure other teams have been interested in him.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Cartire":3w5c9v95 said:
I'm interested in the narrative behind this. What would be the point of a raise for a practice squad guy and that much? What do that hawks have to gain from it?

I'm wondering if he needs help with something financial.

If he's getting offers from other teams to sign with them, this would allow the Hawks to give hm incentive to stay on the PS.

OrFan

Reaction score
It is simple. If you want to keep your employees, you treat them well. If you want to lose them, all you have to do is be cheap. There are always other opportunities out there. This is just good basic business.

Reaction score
Kinda', sorta' off topic. But, nothing to start a thread over.
jlwaters1":kjd1b2lq said:
... Remember when Chris Harper was signed off the practice Squad onto the 49ers active roster...
When the San Francisco 49ers claimed Chris Harper off waivers from the Seattle Seahawks in early September they had big plans for him.... However, Harper, at least for now, won’t get the chance to develop in San Francisco. Harper, whom Seattle cut as a rookie despite being a fourth-round pick, was cut Thursday by the 49ers...Harper could end up on the 49ers practice squad if he is not claimed on waivers by Friday.
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francis...cut-to-make-roster-room?ex_cid=espnapi_public
Go Hawks,
BillA

Cartire

Reaction score
Bill Assumpcao":wjk22ug0 said:
Kinda', sorta' off topic. But, nothing to start a thread over.
jlwaters1":wjk22ug0 said:
... Remember when Chris Harper was signed off the practice Squad onto the 49ers active roster...
When the San Francisco 49ers claimed Chris Harper off waivers from the Seattle Seahawks in early September they had big plans for him.... However, Harper, at least for now, won’t get the chance to develop in San Francisco. Harper, whom Seattle cut as a rookie despite being a fourth-round pick, was cut Thursday by the 49ers...Harper could end up on the 49ers practice squad if he is not claimed on waivers by Friday.
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francis...cut-to-make-roster-room?ex_cid=espnapi_public
Go Hawks,
BillA

Wait, so he was claimed off waivers. Where did everyone else get their info that refuted me?

CANHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1bqu9gi4 said:

I did that. It didn't work. What I SHOULD have focused on was scoring lots of steroids and growing adamenteum ligaments!

@Cartire. I dunno what to tell you mate. I could have SWORN SF poached him off our PS, but I have nothing to support that besides my own memory; which is likely full of CTE and Tau protein at this point, so I wouldn't trust that...

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe

Latest posts