Benefit of the short week?

drcool

Reaction score
Personally I hate the Thursday games. They always seem sloppy and the teams just come out tired.

But in this case I think a short week could be an advantage. For the past few weeks I think the coaching staff has been over-thinking everything. Too much scheming, too much game planning. With the short week and less time to plan I hope the coaches just let the talent we have on the field go out there and make plays on both sides of the ball. Let Wilson be Wilson, let Big Red be Big Red, let the Legion of Boom be the Legion of Boom.

We have better players than the Cardinals. Don't over think the scheme and let these guys play!

JonRud

Reaction score
I hate Thursday night games, especially on the road.

A 1-pt. win by the Seahawks would be a FANTASTIC result on Thursday. no bitching and moaning from the peanut gallery after the game, just get the win and get the hell out of there.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
JonRud":3cosrdf0 said:
no bitching and moaning from the peanut gallery after the game, just get the win and get the hell out of there.

Yeah, right!

Sparkchaser737

Reaction score
I thought that game was a toss up until the vacuum (fitz) got pounded by Willis and fumbled. If they score on that drive, who knows.

Seahawk Mike

Reaction score
Just win baby...I don't care how it looks and what happens to get it done...

Regroup on our mini bye week and get all the mojo going again!!!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
JonRud":2n37c38c said:
I hate Thursday night games, especially on the road.

A 1-pt. win by the Seahawks would be a FANTASTIC result on Thursday. no bitching and moaning from the peanut gallery after the game, just get the win and get the hell out of there.

This is how i feel about the next two games.

Doesn't matter how good you are, division rivals on the road is tough.

just win the games. I don't care how.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":jjszosb3 said:
This week, it also helps that the Niners beat the Cardinals up pretty bad yesterday.

This is a fair point. SF is a lot more physical of a team than the Titans, on the offense as well as the defense. I don't applaud injuries by/for anyone, but Campbell might not play on a short week, Fitz might not play on a short week, and I'm not sure who else. They are pretty beat up, but then again so are we. We're just more used to it at the positions we're hurt.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The only benefit of a short week is injuries, and both teams have big ones to overcome. Doesn't look like Clem is going to go, and Fitzgerald might not go for the Cards.

I'd say Fitz is the bigger injury, so at this point we have the advantage if he can't go. He's a baller, so my guess is he's going go, even if he's only 75%, thhis game means too much to Arizona.

firebee

Reaction score
I said it last week... If we looked sloppy against Tennessee, I'm going to be worried about us heading into AZ on the short week. Well... We looked sloppy against Tennessee and I'm worried about the W in AZ.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The benefit is that we are playing the Cardinals and not a top 10 team.

Their defense isn't embarrassing and one day Arians will smarten up and run Ellington 100% of the time. It's also a road divisional matchup. I'm happy with any kind of win.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Looking at the Thursday night results, the short week seems to benefit the "better" team.

Here are the results so far this year:

Patriots beat the jets (ugly)
Chiefs beat the Eagles
49ers beat the Rams
Browns beat the Bills (I would call this one pretty much a toss up regarding who is better, also both QB's leave with injuries)
Bears beat the Giants.

Even looking at last year's results, it looks like there may have been 2 upsets, based on final records for last year.

Seattle has better players, have been in their system longer, this should favor the 'Hawks.

But who knows???

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Interesting observation of the last 6 Thursday Night games:
W1 - Home team won
W2 - Home team won
W3 - Road team won
W4 - Road team won
W5 - Home team won
W6 - Home team won
W7 - ???

Perfundle

Reaction score
blkhwk":1pzuvkyo said:
Looking at the Thursday night results, the short week seems to benefit the "better" team.
I think being the better team benefits the better team. It'd be a different matter if the short week seemed to benefit the worse team, but right now the short week isn't really influencing the results.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
BlueTalons":31o9ydtd said:
W1 - Home team won
W2 - Home team won
W3 - Road team won
W4 - Road team won
W5 - Home team won
W6 - Home team won
W7 - ???

Great, the same "logic" used by 49ers fans about how Harbaugh has never lost two in a row; until it happened. :)

BlueTalons

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2zyqci8q said:
BlueTalons":2zyqci8q said:
W1 - Home team won
W2 - Home team won
W3 - Road team won
W4 - Road team won
W5 - Home team won
W6 - Home team won
W7 - ???

Great, the same "logic" used by 49ers fans about how Harbaugh has never lost two in a row; until it happened. :)
Did I try to give it "logic"? Just an observation... :mrgreen:

GO HAWKS!!!

blkhwk

Reaction score
Perfundle":18agmiby said:
blkhwk":18agmiby said:
I think being the better team benefits the better team. It'd be a different matter if the short week seemed to benefit the worse team, but right now the short week isn't really influencing the results.

Exactly, so the "short week" argument should not be made if the 'Hawks do not win.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I was rooting for Arizona yesterday for many reasons, but the biggest reason is now they're Desperate, with a capital "D." This is their Superbowl game thus far this season. If they lose, they fall behind us by three full games and lose an important conference home game.

We should win because we're more talented, but this game scares the hell out of me for the reason I listed above. I guarantee you if we come out flat like most of our first halves this year and/or make stupid mistakes like we have the past two games with special teams or dumb fumbles then we lose.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Thursday night games statistically favor the home team more than Sunday games do.

We have enough pass rushers that having Clem out isn't a huge deal, it just means a few more snaps each for everyone else... it's not like missing Red Bryant or Mebane where we don't have any quality depth behind them in terms of raw run stopping power.

I have to assume that while losing Calais Campbell is not good for AZ, they presumably have a DE rotation and have someone who can quasi replace him, just like we can do with Clem.

Fitz on the other hand is irreplaceable on any roster.