Benefit of the short week?

Sac

Reaction score
Thursday games should come after a bye week only. Every team should get two bye weeks.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I took the liberty of looking up our prime time record under Pete Carroll. It's lookin' mighty fine.

Seahawks prime time games under Pete Carroll:
2010:
Week 17, Sunday Night Football vs. Rams, W

2011:
Week 13, Thursday Night Football vs. Eagles, W
Week 14, Monday Night Football vs. Rams, W

2012:
Week 3, Monday Night Football vs. Packers, W
Week 7, Thursday Night Football @ 49ers, L
Week 16, Sunday Night Football vs. 49ers, W

2013:
Week 2, Sunday Night Football vs. 49ers, W

6-1. Also, we've been getting one additional prime time game each year under Carroll, lol. We have a total of four this year, assuming we don't get another one flexed in.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I think the fact that we won our last game while the Cards lost theirs could play in our favor in a short week like this.

I personally like the Thursday games. They give those of us that have to work weekends and Monday evenings a chance to see live NFL football.

HawkWow

Reaction score
blkhwk":22d08o1r said:
Perfundle":22d08o1r said:
blkhwk":22d08o1r said:
Looking at the Thursday night results, the short week seems to benefit the "better" team.
I think being the better team benefits the better team. It'd be a different matter if the short week seemed to benefit the worse team, but right now the short week isn't really influencing the results.

Exactly, so the "short week" argument should not be made if the 'Hawks do not win.

I think the short week argument is pertinent to the road team, regardless of the outcome. Nobody loves football more than I. I live and breathe the sport but I would sacrifice these Thurs games in a second. Every game is as important as another. There is no way either team can properly prepare for their opponent and the road team at an even bigger disadvantage. The least they could do is move the game to Fridays. In the unlikely event we lose this game, I will definitely invoke my right to (at least partially) blame the short week. ; )

therealsm

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":6zkp63db said:
They can't move the games to Fridays, just FYI. They have a deal with Congress not to play on Friday nights to protect high school football attendance.
Good. I wanna be able to see my high school team AND the Seahawks.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1pb71q7o said:
They can't move the games to Fridays, just FYI. They have a deal with Congress not to play on Friday nights to protect high school football attendance.

Interesting and considerate. I understand a Sat game would likely interfere with the NCAA, which to me isn't the case. Two very different deals. I wouldn't not watch college in order to watch the pros. In fact, that's probably more the case. The NFL would lose viewers, IMO, more so than the NCAA.

Perhaps a better idea would be to play the NFL on Sundays. ; )

It's too easy to say "I want HS football on Friday and my Hawks on Thurs". Sure you do, because we are currently, relatively healthy. What if RW and ML were listed as day to day....and their respective injuries forced them to miss Thursday's game and we lost. But if the game was on Sunday, they would have been ready to play?

NFL football is just too physical and demanding for so little rest, IMO. I think this whole thing should come down to a vote by coaches and players... with fans and networks not having a say in the matter.

RiverDog

Reaction score
HawkWow":st502kv2 said:
blkhwk":st502kv2 said:
Perfundle":st502kv2 said:
blkhwk":st502kv2 said:
Looking at the Thursday night results, the short week seems to benefit the "better" team.
I think being the better team benefits the better team. It'd be a different matter if the short week seemed to benefit the worse team, but right now the short week isn't really influencing the results.

Exactly, so the "short week" argument should not be made if the 'Hawks do not win.

I think the short week argument is pertinent to the road team, regardless of the outcome. Nobody loves football more than I. I live and breathe the sport but I would sacrifice these Thurs games in a second. Every game is as important as another. There is no way either team can properly prepare for their opponent and the road team at an even bigger disadvantage. The least they could do is move the game to Fridays. In the unlikely event we lose this game, I will definitely invoke my right to (at least partially) blame the short week. ; )

There's an unwritten rule about Fridays in that they're reserved it for the high schools.

HawkWow

Reaction score
RiverDog":1al5mukw said:
There's an unwritten rule about Fridays in that they're reserved it for the high schools.

Understood RD (I remember you from the PI forum...I was your favorite poster...by a long shot. j/k).

I am all about furthering the brand, but not at the expense of individual teams and certainly not at the risk of player's health and safety. Goodell has all but put skirts on the players, but he thinks playing on such short rest is somehow OK? The guy is a hypocrite, IMO. And I suppose I am too. If we win Thursday, I will be happy we got that prime time slot. IF we lose, I'll be livid.

There is no question the road team is being penalized. To make up for that, how about taking this potential loss into consideration when putting the schedule together? As in: "OK, Seattle is one of the road teams on a Thurs night. Instead of giving them 5 east coast early starts, let's move 2 of those games to the afternoon." Did they do any of that? No. Hell no.

RiverDog

Reaction score
HawkWow":39rlfhkr said:
RiverDog":39rlfhkr said:

Understood RD (I remember you from the PI forum...I was your favorite poster...by a long shot. j/k).

I am all about furthering the brand, but not at the expense of individual teams and certainly not at the risk of player's health and safety. Goodell has all but put skirts on the players, but he thinks playing on such short rest is somehow OK? The guy is a hypocrite, IMO. And I suppose I am too. If we win Thursday, I will be happy we got that prime time slot. IF we lose, I'll be livid.

There is no question the road team is being penalized. To make up for that, how about taking this potential loss into consideration when putting the schedule together? As in: "OK, Seattle is one of the road teams on a Thurs night. Instead of giving them 5 east coast early starts, let's move 2 of those games to the afternoon." Did they do any of that? No. Hell no.

I had a lot of favorites at the PI. All but one or two are left, and they don't post very often, hence my move here.

Sure, the road team is penalized in the Thursday games, although we're coming off a home game while Arizona is coming off a road game, which helps even things a bit. If we played this game after a trip to New York or Florida, then I'd be more inclined to beetch. I'm a lot more concerned about the early starts. IMO if they can adjust the entire schedule to accommodate teams like the Steelers and Giants on games played on the west coast, the least they can do is accommodate the 4 west coast teams so they can play in the afternoon time slot.

The Radish

Reaction score
The only advantage I see was said earlier, we get to see the team play twice in 4 days.

For the team its a joke. They need mondays off to give the players a bit of rest. So they have to do mostly walk throughs and no contact tuesdays and for Arizona probably wednesday morning. Then fly to Zone weds afternoon/early evening, have a walk through thursday morning and game that night.

Then I'd wager they get an extra day or 3 to relax to get ready for the monday night game.

:les:

Reaneypark

Reaction score
JonRud":1hmkxkle said:
I hate Thursday night games, especially on the road.

A 1-pt. win by the Seahawks would be a FANTASTIC result on Thursday. no bitching and moaning from the peanut gallery after the game, just get the win and get the hell out of there.

Indeed. The W is all that matters this week.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
bestfightstory":jgzd00hu said:
JonRud":jgzd00hu said:
no bitching and moaning from the peanut gallery after the game, just get the win and get the hell out of there.

Yeah, right!

I know right. Kleenex should give 'Hawks fans special discounts.

Latest posts