5 reasons the Superbowl will be easy for the Seahawks

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I saw this article on yardbarker. 1) Schedule is brutal 2) No expectations will remain 3) Percy Harvin and Russell Okung 4) Seattle's offense will get hot and 5) The Bronco defense is not that good

I agree with #1, #4, and #5. The Bronco defense showed it's vulnerability against the Cowboys last Sunday.
#3 remains to be seen for me. Harvin hasn't played a down in a game and Okung is oft-injured. I don't agree with #2. Expectations are high.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...ill_be_easy_for_the_seattle_seahawks/14743262

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I just want an offensive line that can pass protect, giving RW more than a milisecond to make a read. Then let's go from there.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Aros":26lrpg6s said:
I just want an offensive line that can pass protect, giving RW more than a milisecond to make a read. Then let's go from there.

Exactly. I was actually gonna start a thread on this obvious concern, but this'll do. If the starters on our paper-thin O-line can't stay healthy, we're dead in the water. We can't have Wilson running for his life on every play. Ain't gonna work. It's like we have no second string there. It goes from first to third sting, and that ain't good. It makes me very nervous. Hopefully we can trade for another guy or two before the deadline. Turbin as trade bait? :242735: Christine Michael can take his place...

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
BlueThunder":m2kwcmws said:
Aros":m2kwcmws said:

Exactly. I was actually gonna start a thread on this obvious concern, but this'll do. If the starters on our paper-thin O-line can't stay healthy, we're dead in the water. We can't have Wilson running for his life on every play. Ain't gonna work. It's like we have no second string there. It goes from first to third sting, and that ain't good. It makes me very nervous. Hopefully we can trade for another guy or two before the deadline. Turbin as trade bait? :242735:

What lineman would be available for a trade? At this point, Turbin offers the Seahawks more value by being on the team. If Lynch should get injured, there would be a huge void. McMichael is still a rookie and hasn't gotten any game time yet.

Jared Gaither is a proven vet and pro-bowler at LT. He is a FA. I think the could be a temporary fix. At least he would be an upgrade over McQ. Bryant McKinnie is rumored to want out of Baltimore, maybe that is a trade possibility. I know the strip joints in the area would love for the Seahawks to bring him in :). I'm surprised the Seahawks have not brought in O-lineman for tryouts. That's the most perlpexing thing. The OL has been inconsistent and weak all season yet no moves to fix the issues.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Tom Cable is also the Assistant Head Coach, so he carries a lot of "weight" with Pete Carroll in discussion of this protection issue. No one wants to admit that they made a mistake while "on the job". This game at home with the Titans will be key in evaluating our OL giving RW enough time to make passing plays work. If Russell is "running for his life" once again, I think that there will be major changes coming soon.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well Monroe was available from Jax, but we sat on our hands for that one. And he was a borderline top 15 LT.

At this point, I have just accepted that our line sucks, that is the big weakness we have that impacts our entire offense and that if we fail to reach the prize we can probably point to that one as the reason.

Last year it seemed that if you got anywhere near the end zone, Russell could get you in there, by run or pass. This year it seems that we get a few incompletes and kick the FG more often than I would like.

I have to believe the big change is the line.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I wasn't saying give away Turbin for crap, I guess I should have said trading Turbin for a quality lineman that could actually replace one of our starters (guards) with a better player, then it would be worth the loss. I love Turbin and would hate to lose him, but our need for O-linemen is greater than our need at RB when we have a stud at 3rd string that wouldn't be much of a drop-off. This is THE season, and we should leave NOTHING off the table, as much as it might hurt to get us to the promised land. That's another thing that winning teams do.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I think we should take a wait and see approach on this to see what effect getting Unger back has on the overall competence of our oline. I don't recall Sweezy being as big of a turnstile last year as we've seen this year. Maybe with Unger setting protections like the PB vet he is, we see an uptick in protection this week. Let's not mortgage the future of the franchise for guys who don't know our playbook or our system in the hopes that, by the playoffs, we become magically competent at keeping RW upright again. We're 4-1. Deep breathes. In JC PC, we must trust.

Hendo66

Reaction score
Monroe would have been a great move for the price, 4th or 5th? Okung's toe is a big ? mark for the rest of the season. McQ is not going to cut it. I'm sure the brass is looking into options.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Since I expect us to actually play in the Super Bowl this year, and probably win it, I feel it's time to start spelling it correctly; doesn't everyone else agree?

It's Super Bowl. Two words, both capitalized. Say it with me:

Super Bowl.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick, but if it's not acceptable to spell Seahawks, or Wilson, or Unger, or Pete Carroll, or whatever incorrectly; then Super Bowl shouldn't be some big exception, considering it's the holy grail of the NFL. If anything, it's the one thing we should always spell correctly.

Hate away...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Personally, I'm starting to cringe when I hear the "Super Bowl is a Given" talk. Whether it's fans, local or national media. As of right now, unless our OL DRASTICALLY improves - and I'm not saying it won't - I simply cannot see any championships with Russell Wilson running for his life on 99% of his passing plays. As good as he is, even he can only do so much with his legs. We need protection for him in passing downs or I see our division title chances slipping let alone Super Bowl hopes.

Not being a Debbie Downer here, simply stating what I believe is the obvious.

OlyHawk

Reaction score
I know it's too early in the season to think about the SB, but we are fans, so we can.
I still have concerns about:
A healthy offensive line.
Will Percy Harvin come back healthy and will he be the electric player we hope for.
If the Saints have homefield, can we win in their dome.
If this is Peyton Manning's year, will he be crowned before playing, just like Jerome Bettis.
When the Seahawks overcome these and other obstacles to win it all this year, this will be the greatest season ever.
Go Hawks!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Different lineman are going to produce the same results. The problem we are running into is a lack of a quick release game and that the first few games we went up against some of the best D-lines in the league. Having to over achieve as a blocker on every play is unsustainable and creates a combination of issues. D-line will see success the longer you hold the ball and that success is a momentum driver causing them to put more effort in on each play. Your lineman will get tired more easily due to working to hard and that causes fatigue which tends to build up over the season. We are now seeing the results of that fatigue in injury form and instead of changing our game plan to quick dump offs, slants and screens we are asking our backups to do what are starters couldn't.

Believe it or not Harvin could be the key to making our O-line successful because he is suppose to create that relief valve. RW will need to use it though and not try to go through 5 progressions on every read. I don't know how much of our short/quick game is RW and how much is Bevell but the only way we are going to see success on the O-line is if we can get our guys into a rhythm that doesn't over fatigue them or ask them to block all over the field for 5 or more seconds on every down. Take away some of the success the defenses are having by getting rid of the ball before they can get to Wilson and they lose momentum.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
We're 4-1 (which is great, but we did not look by any means dominant in any game outside of the Jags and Niners). Got a tough schedule ahead of us. Broncos, Indy, and Saints all playing extremely well. I'm not going to be talking about the SB anytime soon. Let's get there first, then have the opposing team lose half of their starters due to injury, then MAYBE I'll say..the SB will be easy.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
A tough schedule ahead of us, Zag? We just finished the tough part of our schedule. @ 49ers and vs. Saints are all we have to worry about for the rest of the year as far as games we very well might lose, and we've only played 5 games thus far.

JCBRAVE

Reaction score
Talking about the Super Bowl in October is a great way not to play in the Super Bowl, just saying.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2z09q1c1 said:
A tough schedule ahead of us, Zag? We just finished the tough part of our schedule. @ 49ers and vs. Saints are all we have to worry about for the rest of the year as far as games we very well might lose, and we've only played 5 games thus far.

Not worried about any team in our house, and most road games don't scare me anymore either. Go Hawks!

C-Dub

Reaction score
Aros":2myuw3ds said:
Personally, I'm starting to cringe when I hear the "Super Bowl is a Given" talk. Whether it's fans, local or national media. As of right now, unless our OL DRASTICALLY improves - and I'm not saying it won't - I simply cannot see any championships with Russell Wilson running for his life on 99% of his passing plays. As good as he is, even he can only do so much with his legs. We need protection for him in passing downs or I see our division title chances slipping let alone Super Bowl hopes.

Not being a Debbie Downer here, simply stating what I believe is the obvious.
Even with the shit-show on the O-line, there's not a team that can that I feel can beat us at home in the NFC.

There's only one team that really worries me on the road, and that's San Fran. They're a lot better than their record suggests.

I don't think the Saints are elite, just lucky to be where they are (much like the Chiefs). Both those teams are too one dimensional; Saints are all offense and Chiefs are all defense. I've rewatched some Saints games, and they don't look good on defense IMO. Then there's the Falcons, who seem shell-shocked and have dug too big a hole to compete for HFA.

The Packers are the other scary team, but their defense is not that great. Though, the offense can carry that team much like the Broncos and Saints can.

We should get Max back this week, and hopefully Bobby and Breno Thursday or the following week. By then Percy should be back. I think 4/5 starters on the O-line will be enough to keep Wilson from getting killed. He'll still be pressured, but there's not a whole lot we can do about that mid-season. If we can beat the Saints and take the NFCW (which probably means beating SF in SF), we should get HFA as long as we take care of the cupcakes on the schedule.

C-Dub

Reaction score
ZagHawk":ql53mxfh said:
Got a tough schedule ahead of us.
Really?

Because it looks like we have one of the easiest remaining schedules in the NFL.

drdiags

Reaction score
The following point is the current nagging item hidden in the back of my mind when looking forward to how things will work out:

Few seem to notice how choppy Seattle’s offense has been this season. America saw the Seahawks blow out the Niners in Week 2 and was ready to crown them in the NFC. Seattle’s ensuing, and much-expected, thumping of lowly Jacksonville in Week 3 only reaffirmed the coronation. But look at this offense’s other three games: 12 points at Carolina in Week 1, 13 points at Houston in Week 4 and an ugly 26 points at Indy in Week 5.

If you don’t think a 26-point performance on the road can be ugly, watch the film. Seattle’s receivers were unable to separate from Indy’s man-to-man corners; all that kept the chains moving was Russell Wilson’s scrambling. Wilson finished just 15 of 31 passing, which was the third time this year he’s been held to under-55 percent completion rate.

This isn’t to say Wilson and the Seahawks are overrated. They were playing with three backup linemen last week, and it showed. There’s no reason to think their passing game won’t iron things out. But as of right now, it’s not near where they want to be. That could be a problem this week with a red-hot Titans defense coming to town.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/11/nfl-week-6-tv-schedule/