Focus on: Kam Chancellor

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Is he our new version of Kenny Easley? When was the last time we had such a physically-imposing safety? They actually have some interesting ties that go back some years.

Now, about that Easley comparison. Chancellor is from Norfolk, Va., and Easley lives in Chesapeake, but now lives in Norfolk. In fact, Chancellor dated Easley’s daughter while in high school.

“I visited their house and actually met him,” Chancellor said. “I didn’t know who it was at first.”

He does now. A huge banner of Easley hangs above the hallway that separates the locker room from the indoor practice facility at VMAC. Easley’s name is included among those in the Ring of Honor at CenturyLink Field. Easley was NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1984, when he intercepted 10 passes; and AFC Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1981, when he made 107 tackles. He was voted to five Pro Bowls in his seven-season career that was cut short by a kidney ailment.

“I hear only good things about him, so why not look up to a guy like that?” Chancellor said. “He was a force to be reckoned with. So it’s a big compliment to be compared to a player like him.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...ancellor/a646bcc5-1e40-4620-863c-b8c7d9140768

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I saw that a few days ago. It's kind of ironic that we have a couple players here with ties to former Seahawk greatness in Red and Kam. And then Russell being from the same place as Fran Tarkenton. Come to think of it, the state of Virginia has been pretty good to us football wise.

YaktownHawK

Reaction score
Pretty cool article, Carlos from Yakima is my friend I took to the game. This article made his day. We had just talked about the comparisons as we were watching some old Easley highlights the night before the game. Then when Carlos walked into the stadium in his Kam jersey Clare came right up to him to ask the questions in this article. But we had no idea we would see his name in this article, so yeah pretty cool.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
YaktownHawK":8vj3z5yl said:
Pretty cool article, Carlos from Yakima is my friend I took to the game. This article made his day. We had just talked about the comparisons as we were watching some old Easley highlights the night before the game. Then when Carlos walked into the stadium in his Kam jersey Clare came right up to him to ask the questions in this article. But we had no idea we would see his name in this article, so yeah pretty cool.
Awesome! :th2thumbs:

drdiags

Reaction score
Easley could have played Free Safety, that really being the position he wanted to play. The Seahawks had John Harris there so they stuck with the wily veteran. Kam's coverage on TEs can be exploited. Easley had CB coverage skills. They both were big hitters, though Kam has Kenny in that regards. I am happy for Kam and glad he is on the Seahawks. As my .Net persona suggests, I am biased toward Kenny. Kam is not too shabby.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
drdiags":sj172lvb said:
Easley could have played Free Safety, that really being the position he wanted to play. The Seahawks had John Harris there so they stuck with the wily veteran. Kam's coverage on TEs can be exploited. Easley had CB coverage skills. They both were big hitters, though Kam has Kenny in that regards. I am happy for Kam and glad he is on the Seahawks. As my .Net persona suggests, I am biased toward Kenny. Kam is not too shabby.

Kenny was indeed a premier safety. I think he was in fact the best I ever saw . I would rank him even higher then the great Ronnie Lott. He was faster , covered better and hit as hard

It would take a pretty big step for Chancellor as much as I like him to take that next step; to get in the same class as Kenny. He was that good in his day

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I should've made myself more clear. In no way, shape, or form do I think Kam is as good as Easley. I'm mainly comparing their hard-hitting, physically imposing styles. I've made many a posts on here about Kam's liability in coverage at times. He looks to be much better so far this year, and that has a lot to do with his health

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":9dfqetv3 said:
Lott has been quoted saying Easley was better then he was.
And Lott was tellin' the truth.
Just ask John Elway what he thought about "The Enforcer"
They use to have wall posters of KE that depicted him as a one man tornado.
Kenny Easley is one of my all time favorite Seahawk, and I'm still doubtful that anyone will surpass.

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Carmon1274":2vrznjwl said:

Yup. Because he hits so hard. And we all know that's the only thing to gauge a Safety on :sarcasm off:

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Bump...with the new quote praising Kam by Lott, figured it was appropriate