Russell Wilson on 60 Minutes Sports

pehawk

Reaction score
So, there's a show on Showtime called 60 Sports. It's a rebroadcast of sports stories aired on CBS's 60 minutes. Ususally the pieces are a year or two old.

Anyways, they're reshowing a piece on the history of black QB's in the league. And, at the beginning they sit down with Russell Wilson to ask his take on it. They don't go back and add interviews to these pieces, and I highly doubt they'd fly out to Seattle to interview Wilson for a 45 second about race. So, I'm betting our Wilson will have a segment on CBS's 60 minutes, soon.

Wasn't there a member here who told you Wilson will become THE most marketable name in the league?

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I believe I said something to that effect some months back. Feels good to be right.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":39ba17gx said:
I believe I said something to that effect some months back. Feels good to be right.

You and I both, hermano. He's a Madison Avenue DREAM. Dedicated, married, Christian, hard-working, successful, EVERYTHING. I know last year there was skepticism that a Seahawks QB could ever be the leagues anointed one, but Wilson will shatter that "perception" as well.

dbmack

Reaction score
pehawk":kmgo07to said:
SmokinHawk":kmgo07to said:

You and I both, hermano. He's a Madison Avenue DREAM. Dedicated, married, Christian, hard-working, successful, EVERYTHING. I know last year there was skepticism that a Seahawks QB could ever be the leagues anointed one, but Wilson will shatter that "perception" as well.

rjdriver

Reaction score
pehawk":2m594vj3 said:
SmokinHawk":2m594vj3 said:

He's way too short to be successful in marketing

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
dbmack":3p2ut7b7 said:
pehawk":3p2ut7b7 said:
SmokinHawk":3p2ut7b7 said:

Uh, yes he is, not that it really matters.

dbmack

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":31wdmrj1 said:
Russell and his dad:

Wilsondad zps611cb47d

Russell and his wife, mom and siblings

Wilsonfamily zpsb5e9b826

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
dbmack":372h85tc said:
Seahwkgal":372h85tc said:
Russell and his dad:

Wilsondad zps611cb47d

Russell and his wife, mom and siblings

Wilsonfamily zpsb5e9b826

Its interesting that Russell got about the same skin tone as his dad when his mom is clearly much darker. Genetics are random that way

dbmack

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2mi1a2m8 said:
Its interesting that Russell got about the same skin tone as his dad when his mom is clearly much darker. Genetics are random that way
- I have seen pictures of both his parents. I am a Genealogy buff so I tend to look up stuff but I'm not going to post the pictures here.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
dbmack":3i4lcksm said:
therealjohncarlson":3i4lcksm said:
Well not that it matters at all but his dad is clearly bi-racial. Its interesting that Russell got about the same skin tone as his dad when his mom is clearly much darker. Genetics are random that way
I have seen pictures of both his parents. I am a Genealogy buff so I tend to look up stuff but I'm not going to post the pictures here.

Welll... ummm the skin tone of both Russell and his father seems to suggest they are bi-racial...

dbmack

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2e84vtfg said:
dbmack":2e84vtfg said:
therealjohncarlson":2e84vtfg said:
Well not that it matters at all but his dad is clearly bi-racial. Its interesting that Russell got about the same skin tone as his dad when his mom is clearly much darker. Genetics are random that way
- I have seen pictures of both his parents. I am a Genealogy buff so I tend to look up stuff but I'm not going to post the pictures here.

Welll... ummm the skin tone of both Russell and his father seems to suggest they are bi-racial...
Like you said ... genetics can be random that way. There is probably some mix if one were to look further back in their tree, possibly on his grandmother's side based on the picture I've seen of her. I'm not going to go as far as to research Russell's family tree though. I have enough trouble finding time to work on mine and mr. dbmack's.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Don't really care whether Russell is biracial or not as it isn't germane to the discussion.

mikeak

Reaction score
RW's kid will be bi-racial..........leave it at that :)
blame his dad for his height or thank him since that made him fall to the 3rd round......

to the list of why he will be valuable is the fact that he doesn't call a press conference every other day unlike Tebow / RG3. He doesn't create controversy like those guys which honestly reminds me more of TO doing pushups in the driveway in the mediawhore attention seeking behavior vs the I will sit down and say non controversial things but focus on the football game that RW AND many other players in this league has.

Eamon696

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Russell Wilson said to Doug Baldwin on his video series that he was black, with a little native american thrown in.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Wow. For some reason my memory recalls a video I saw of his wife and his mother, or who I thought was his mother. Maybe it was his mother-in-law? Oops. But it really doesn't matter. He sure does look like his dad though. His sister looks very light too. Genetics is weird. True Story: My son, who IS Bi-racial has relatives on his father's side that are a mixed bunch too. His father's 1st cousin is whiter than me. When his cousin was born, the parents almost got a divorce because they are both black and out comes a white baby. The dude even has straight and fine hair that is reddish blonde. The only thing that looks sorta african about him is his nose a little bit. They ended up getting a blood test and it was their child. I keep ribbing my son that like it or not, he does have some Irish genes in his blood and it's not from me. lol. Damn Irish dilute everything.

dbmack

Reaction score
His mom and sister were shown in the audience with Ashton at one of the games. I don't remember which game it was though.

fsmassey

Reaction score
Just gonna go pop in here and remind everyone in here that skin tone is not an accurate way to presume somebody's ethnicity. :141847_bnono:
All ethnic groups, everywhere, are mixed with something

"Race" isn't scientifically, or logically correct as a concept. Saying someone is "bi-racial" is an even more ludicrous statement to how genetics and ethnicity actually are.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Eamon696":3jrp0suf said:
If I remember correctly, Russell Wilson said to Doug Baldwin on his video series that he was black, with a little native american thrown in.
This makes sense. In fact, one time when looking at Russ on TV, I said to my husband that his hair texture looked very Native American. I have friends and relatives that are part black/White/Native American. The hair is a dead give-away to that. My son gets Native American through his dad and his hair is a lot like that when he has it cut very short. It's not nappy but kind of wavy and thick. It's had to explain but when you see it you know it.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
fsmassey":bckq9nnq said:
Just gonna go pop in here and remind everyone in here that skin tone is not an accurate way to presume somebody's ethnicity. :141847_bnono:
All ethnic groups, everywhere, are mixed with something

"Race" isn't scientifically, or logically correct as a concept. Saying someone is "bi-racial" is an even more ludicrous statement to how genetics and ethnicity actually are.
Very true. In fact, there is no such thing as a hybrid in the human race. It exists in horses(mules, etc), felines(Ligers) but not in humans. Our species is much more pure genetically than animals are.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
"I'm mixed, man. I got a little bit of everything. But mostly African-American. Got some Native American in me. I have some distant, distant relatives in far far places." -- Russell Wilson

He and Baldwin, who has also stated his multi-ethnic background, share a laugh about it.

Take it from the man himself and move along, peeps.

[youtube]rKlLSuKxhZ4[/youtube]

Latest posts