Tough roster choices looming

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The final 53 this year is going to be rough. Not so much the WHO as the NUMBERS we keep of each position, which is going to influence who stays.

-- Do we keep 4 or 5 RB? This will determine if Ware makes it.

-- Do we keep 6 WR? This will probably decide if Harper makes the team.

-- 9 or 10 DL? Mayowa is a fringe guy...he doesn't have a spot if they only keep 9.

-- LB... if we keep 6 it's "most likely": Wagner, Wright, Smith, Farwell, Schofield, Bradford or Lotulelei. And that's only until Irvin returns from suspension after Week 4, which means another move will have to be made here.

A lot of intriguing moves coming.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":214nwb92 said:
-- LB... if we keep 6 it's "most likely": Wagner, Wright, Smith, Farwell, Schofield, Bradford or Lotulelei. And that's only until Irvin returns from suspension after Week 4, which means another move will have to be made here.

I really like Farwell. Dude's a fantastic special teamer and solid backup. But he's 31 and slated to make $1.7 mil this year and next. If Bradford and Lotulelei keep bringing it, I can see him being an unfortunate cut.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SeaTown81":uoy2sp4f said:
FlyingGreg":uoy2sp4f said:

I really like Farwell. Dude's a fantastic special teamer and solid backup. But he's 31 and slated to make $1.7 mil this year and next. If Bradford and Lotulelei keep bringing it, I can see him being an unfortunate cut.

Good possibility. But I did notice him coaching up the special teamers at the practice I attended, even though he wasn't suited up. I think they really value his professionalism and value.

A lot of inter-connected decisions this year.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Ware didn't impress me much. Coleman looked better. I would rather go with an additional DB or LB. it is easier to find a decent RB than DB or LB. guys like Beanie Wells are still unsigned and could be picked up in an emergency. Cut down will be painful regardless.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Yea, Harper vs Williams might be a cut, as might be Ware vs Harper or Williams. Given the emphasis on the run game and being physical in the run game, I just don't see Ware getting cut, but would there even be carries for him?

We are gonna lose some good talent in the secondary, thats for sure.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Ware looked slow, indecisive, and couldn't break any tackles. Ware was a bit better in space but downright awful between the tackles. Was not impressed at all.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
This is how it should be EVERY year on a team with championship aspirations and high expectations. Thank you, John Schneider and Pete Carroll. Though the cuts may look tough on the outside looking in (and perhaps they are), we should be delighted this is the case.

Of course it's still early on making calls on locked roster spots. It's one game. There's lots of considerations. For example, while Chris Harper may not have flashed as some did in last nights pre-season game, did anyone watch his blocking from the position? In that bubble screen to Arceto Clark, Harper was a factor in that yardage. He's a big body at WR and if he can move bodies out of the way for the emphasized running game, that adds value in the 53.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":b5kn0ndq said:
This is how it should be EVERY year on a team with championship aspirations and high expectations. Thank you, John Schneider and Pete Carroll. Though the cuts may look tough on the outside looking in (and perhaps they are), we should be delighted this is the case.

Of course it's still early on making calls on locked roster spots. It's one game. There's lots of considerations. For example, while Chris Harper may not have flashed as some did in last nights pre-season game, did anyone watch his blocking from the position? In that bubble screen to Arceto Clark, Harper was a factor in that yardage. He's a big body at WR and if he can move bodies out of the way for the emphasized running game, that adds value in the 53.

Truth.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SeaTown81":k6o7dmqc said:
FlyingGreg":k6o7dmqc said:

Bradford is having the strongest preseason out of the bubble guys.

SDHawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3aupdzqy said:

Speaking of blocking... Tate is maaaaaan

Tate reminds me so much of Hines Ward. Here's to hoping Tate has a similar season to Ward's 2002.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SDHawk":2pra4nwt said:
TeamoftheCentury":2pra4nwt said:

Speaking of blocking... Tate is maaaaaan

Tate reminds me so much of Hines Ward. Here's to hoping Tate has a similar season to Ward's 2002.

I love how he actively seeks out people to block. Of course the best example of that was the Sean Lee de-cleater last season..but I notice it a lot with Golden, he's always looking to put a hat on a bad guy.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":jarahpbd said:
Yea, Harper vs Williams might be a cut, as might be Ware vs Harper or Williams. Given the emphasis on the run game and being physical in the run game, I just don't see Ware getting cut, but would there even be carries for him?

You might have to change your avatar or risk getting the Seahawks a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike hulking. :lol: No joke though, if anyone didn't hear the recent No Fun League rule additions. No saluting, No Hulking, none of that. It was on NFL network this morning. I can't find a link. Chad Johnson couldn't function even if he could get into the endzone.

hawker232

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":15hoyama said:
Missing_Clink":15hoyama said:

You might have to change your avatar or risk getting the Seahawks a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike hulking. :lol: No joke though, if anyone didn't hear the recent No Fun League rule additions. No saluting, No Hulking, none of that. It was on NFL network this morning. I can't find a link. Chad Johnson couldn't function even if he could get into the endzone.

I heard about that... They even took out spinning the ball on the ground after a TD/catch. Looks like Sidney Rice needs to find a new celebration. :(

McGruff

Reaction score
Bradford and Lotulelie make it and Farwell gets cut. Too much money for an over the hill special teasers when we have good to great guys like Lane and Coleman who are younger, cheaper and more versatile.

Coleman will make the team over Ware. Ware will make the PS.

Rice, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, Williams and Harper all make the team.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seafan":12mhjg3c said:
No way they cut Ware.

Why not? It's only one game, but if Coleman continues to outplay him, he ought to get the fifth RB spot.

There is no question in my mind that Coleman did better last night as a blocker, receiver and on special teams.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SeaTown81":3khtrnke said:
FlyingGreg":3khtrnke said:

I really like Farwell too, and you really can't understate the importance of really good ST players. That said, Coleman and Bradford both play ST and are pretty good at it, so I can see him losing his spot right there. Both of those players can fill in and play when needed on the field...Farwelll is marginal as a LB.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Harper and Williams will both make the team. I think Harvin winds up on IR (remember they can come off that list early now).

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawks46":b1owwgz8 said:
SeaTown81":b1owwgz8 said:
FlyingGreg":b1owwgz8 said:

I really like Farwell too, and you really can't understate the importance of really good ST players. That said, Coleman and Bradford both play ST and are pretty good at it, so I can see him losing his spot right there. Both of those players can fill in and play when needed on the field...Farwelll is marginal as a LB.

Lane outplayed Farwell on ST's last year, Maxwell is a helluva gunner, plus Coleman and Bradford. We're not lacking STers, and Farwell has no upside on defense.

Bipolar

Reaction score
Ware was alright.

But if you think about it, if we carry Lynch, Turbin and Michael, there is practically zero chance Ware gets any playing time anyway (even if BeastMode gets injured). May be we can stash him away in the training squad and hold him as a backup for Robinson instead...