Excellent Point on Russell Wilson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
"One little-discussed factor to take into consideration when debating whether or not Wilson will suffer from the dreaded sophomore slump is that this is the first offseason in three years in which Wilson has had the same playbook and coordinator as the year prior. In other words, this is the first time in three years in which we'll get to see what Wilson can do with an entire offseason of study and collaboration with the same offensive coordinator, playbook, language, and terminology"

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/27/4 ... redictions

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Not only that but it works the other way too. This is the first time the team and coaching staff has gone from one season to the next knowing exactly who their QB for the forseeable future is.

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
Add that consistency with the O-coordinator to a new explosive target in Harvin, and Wilson is going to possibly be the best QB in the league.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
This fact is scary for the rest of the league.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
Even better to the Ops point is that somewhat by chance in the way the chips fell last year, this organization has surrounded Wilson with talent and a host of offensive weapons. I think potentially Wilson could accomplish the most productive most successful performance that any QB has had in NFL history. Of course there are tons of factors involved, but is it too much to expect Wilson to break some records this season?

Shaz

Reaction score
Stephen SeaHawking":3h7d2wau said:
Add that consistency with the O-coordinator to a new explosive target in Harvin, and Wilson is going to possibly be the best QB in the league.

Love Wilson to death and I think he could be that one day but please don't get too homeristic

Aaron Rodgers is the best in the league right now and I don't see him falling off that perch for at least another 3 years

NFL_Football2013

Reaction score
Stephen SeaHawking":5zwskcxc said:

this might be a tad ambitious, dont want to see people dissapointed

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I think we proved with our draft that wilson probably won't have the stats to prove to be the 'best qb in the league'.

All i care about are W's.

I don't care if wilson throws for 180 yards and 1 TD every game, if it's a W then it's a W.

NFL_Football2013

Reaction score
dbsn2420":2jgq2f3e said:
Even better to the Ops point is that somewhat by chance in the way the chips fell last year, this organization has surrounded Wilson with talent and a host of offensive weapons. I think potentially Wilson could accomplish the most productive most successful performance that any QB has had in NFL history. Of course there are tons of factors involved, but is it too much to expect Wilson to break some records this season?

Record breaking? lets pump the brakes a little bit here
lets not see people dissapointed

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
dbsn2420":ch7uonpf said:
I think potentially Wilson could accomplish the most productive most successful performance that any QB has had in NFL history. Of course there are tons of factors involved, but is it too much to expect Wilson to break some records this season?
Hahaha, and I'M getting to homeristic? I said he could "possibly" be the best QB in the league; I don't think that's too outlandish when you consider the consistency with the program, the new offensive weapon in Harvin, the fact that Harvin ALSO played with the Hawks offensive coordinator, our stellar running game that throws defenses off-balance, and the continued improvement of a former rookie QB. It's possible, maybe not likely, but possible.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
I know my last statement leaked of homerism, and of course I don't want anyone to feel disappointed, but I think when you look at how Wilson prepares, the fact that we have a stout running game, some nice shifty receivers, the addition of Harvin, a whole off season for the organization knowing Wilson will be the #1, and a good O-line, I think it is likely Wilson and this Offense will have a top 10, maybe top 5 season productivity wise. Of course that is assuming those unknown factors fall our way.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
dbsn2420":318s2y3h said:
I know my last statement leaked of homerism, and of course I don't want anyone to feel disappointed, but I think when you look at how Wilson prepares, the fact that we have a stout running game, some nice shifty receivers, the addition of Harvin, a whole off season for the organization knowing Wilson will be the #1, and a good O-line, I think it is likely Wilson and this Offense will have a top 10, maybe top 5 season productivity wise. Of course that is assuming those unknown factors fall our way.

well. he already finished one season with a 100 even QB rating.

That's pretty good especially when you consider some of the games that were in there from the beginning of the year.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
I know it's probably better to pull back on the expectations (pump the brakes), but Damn..... it's hard not to be overly pumped up for this season to get rolling! :th2thumbs:

kearly

Reaction score
Shaz":38q8d4ou said:
Aaron Rodgers is the best in the league right now and I don't see him falling off that perch for at least another 3 years

Well, Wilson was statistically the better QB of the two since week 8 of last season. Given Wilson's insane trajectory and the addition of Harvin, I don't think you need to be a Hawk's homer to see that Wilson has a real shot to be 2013's #1 QB.

NFL_Football2013":38q8d4ou said:
Record breaking? lets pump the brakes a little bit here
lets not see people dissapointed

I wouldn't worry about that. If Wilson does break records this year, he'll be breaking records that only stat nerds will know about. I don't know if he'll ever break records for the classic counting stats (total yards, total TDs, etc), but if that day ever comes, it probably won't be with Pete Carroll here. Every year that Pete is here I will expect Seattle to lead the league in rushing percentage.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
If he projects like Troy Aikman I for one would be very satisfied. Not much on the statistics but a winner and a Superbowl winner also.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Shaz":37ovug64 said:

Rodgers also can't do anything about somebody else rising above him. It's not like Rodgers has to be physically removed from some perch so someone else can take his place.

Marvin49

Reaction score
As a Niner fan I would really love him to have a slump....

...but I don't expect one. Not only do I like him as a player, but he is very protected in the offense he runs. Before you guys jump on me, I mean that as a compliment to the OC. That run game makes Wilson LETHAL on Play Action Passes and his legs slow down the pass rush. This is in NO WAY me trying to diminish Wilson as Kaep is in a very similar boat. I'm just saying that he's in a good spot not to suffer a sophmore slump.

I don't see that run game disappearing anytime soon, so Wilson has time to perfect his craft while in that protected environment.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Shaz":2p7d0qmm said:
Stephen SeaHawking":2p7d0qmm said:

Love Wilson to death and I think he could be that one day but please don't get too homeristic

If everyone stays healthy, and you have the same rapport (Wilson/Miller, Wilson/Tate, Wilson/Rice), and get the same production as the last 10 games of the season, and Harvin fits in successfully, I can see this happening. Bevell is familiar with Rice, Harvin and the rest of our offense, so it should be pretty seamless.

Rodgers may indeed have more passing yardage and TD's through the air, but that's due to him not being as athletic as Wilson, he doesn't have the run game Wilson has, and I still see Wilson having more rushing yards and total TD's. So, yea, Rodgers might have better passing stats, but it's not far fetched at all to see Wilson have a better year.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Marvin49":3129m1xm said:
As a Niner fan I would really love him to have a slump....

...but I don't expect one. Not only do I like him as a player, but he is very protected in the offense he runs. Before you guys jump on me, I mean that as a compliment to the OC. That run game makes Wilson LETHAL on Play Action Passes and his legs slow down the pass rush. This is in NO WAY me trying to diminish Wilson as Kaep is in a very similar boat. I'm just saying that he's in a good spot not to suffer a sophmore slump.

I don't see that run game disappearing anytime soon, so Wilson has time to perfect his craft while in that protected environment.
I say the reverse about Keapernick so yeah I see many epic battles in the next 5-10 years between them.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SNDavidson":33crp2x1 said:
"One little-discussed factor to take into consideration when debating whether or not Wilson will suffer from the dreaded sophomore slump is that this is the first offseason in three years in which Wilson has had the same playbook and coordinator as the year prior. In other words, this is the first time in three years in which we'll get to see what Wilson can do with an entire offseason of study and collaboration with the same offensive coordinator, playbook, language, and terminology"

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/27/4 ... redictions

But wouldn't that make him 3 x a freshman? J/K.

I have no concerns over the dreaded slump, in large part because of his surrounding cast. Kaep and Griffin? Even with good teams around them, I anticipate both men trying to do too much. That's probably the biggest culprit behind sophomore slumps right there.

Luck? I think Luck will show that he was deserving of the #1 pick in last year's draft. Much will be expected of him (like every NFL QB) as well, but he reminds me of a guy that will handle and keep everything in front of him. Much like our own RW. IMO, these two are the best young QBs in the NFL...hands down.

Latest posts