Top 10 QB's of the 80's on NFLN... Guess who's at #8?

A

Anonymous

Our own Ring of Honor member...

Dave Krieg.

Is it me, or are a lot of our Seahawks (past and present) appearing on a good amount of "lists" lately?

pehawk

Reaction score
Dude should be higher than that. While pillow-biters like Marino and Montana we're playing behind all-pro OL w/innovative offensive systems, Krieg was running for his life.

Biased? Yes, damn straight. But, Mudbone fricking rules.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

He definitely rules.

They are quick to point out that no QB had more fumbles, and/or his hands were too small, but he had an incredible touch on his passes.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1ys9avwz said:
He definitely rules.

They are quick to point out that no QB had more fumbles, and/or his hands were too small, but he had an incredible touch on his passes.
He pointed out that just MAYBE it was because he got hit alot. (And running for his life).

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I never met the guy myself so I can't really sure how valid these stories are, but I've heard from people who've met Krieg who said he is definitely NOT a nice guy. One guy told me he met him while fishing and when he introduced himself he responded nastily with something along the lines of having to meet another fan who probably has been telling all the latest "Dave Krieg jokes".

Maybe he was just having a bad day...

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Krieg I think people can forget how good he could be at times. What really hurt and sadly what I remember the most were the fumbles. In the 80s the Seahawks had some great physical teams.

drdiags

Reaction score
There was a love/hate relationship with Krieg. Besides replacing one of the Franchise's first named players in Zorn, he could be so hot and cold as a passer. Those soap-dish hands had you pulling your hair out of your head. His animosity toward the treatment he felt from the fans and coaches could have fueled his not so nice attitude toward folks? He was a lightening rod and Knox was always trying to replace him. Maybe Krieg has come to grips with the past and how he felt back then?

When he was on, the man was very good. To me, I just could never trust him to not pull some bonehead move that would leave me shaking my head. The epitome of Dave Krieg to me was the huge win in Miami only to fall apart against the Raiders in the AFC Championship game (after beating them twice during the regular season). He was either on a high or on a low point. He put up pretty good numbers over the years and I probably didn't respect him as much as he deserved.

Loved his underdog story but just like the Seahawks of Knox's day, just could not get over the hump. Glad to see he is getting his props from observers of the game.

oldschlhwkfn

Reaction score
fenderbender123":102kawwt said:
I never met the guy myself so I can't really sure how valid these stories are, but I've heard from people who've met Krieg who said he is definitely NOT a nice guy. One guy told me he met him while fishing and when he introduced himself he responded nastily with something along the lines of having to meet another fan who probably has been telling all the latest "Dave Krieg jokes".

Maybe he was just having a bad day...

Krieg was a great QB, and I hate to rain on the parade here, but I've had the displeasure of meeting Mr. Krieg in Spokane
back in 96. He was part of the Kenny Easley golf tourney. Him and several players were staying at the hotel I was working at.
Found him to be arrogant, full of himself and rather demanding as in "drive me out to the Coeur d'alene resort immediately
because I missed the bus because I was hungover or I'll get you fired" kind of attitude. Maybe he was having a bad week.

taz291819

Reaction score
I met him when I was in the sixth grade at a meet and greet in Germany (not sure if it was a USO thing or not). There was a big table with quite a few NFL players, and people were in lines to get autographs. The only line I got in was Krieg's, was wearing a Seahawks sweatshirt, and was the only person there wearing anything Seahawks related.

Anyway, when I got to the front of the line, he shook my hand, asked my name, age, etc. He then took his nameplate, signed it, and handed it to me.

Still have it in storage somewhere to this day.

pehawk

Reaction score
I sent the dude a football card in 5th grade, basically arguing how he's better than most realize, and he signed and return a bunch of isht to me.

Only other player who answered was Doug Williams from the Skins; he sent me a t-shirt.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Mr. Krieg does not appear to have any fun at "mandatory" Seahawk Reunions. His demeanor toward fans is less than cordial.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":269otluj said:
Mr. Krieg does not appear to have any fun at "mandatory" Seahawk Reunions. His demeanor toward fans is less than cordial.

See I am actually surprised to read that. Man comes to freaking Cheney in the middle of summer just to retire a Seahawk. Interesting that he doesn't care that much.

Actually now that I think of it, that was around a lot of discussion about his potential for going into the Hall of Fame, so I guess it could be self-serving? :229031_shrug:

pehawk

Reaction score
Krieg has Hall of Fame numbers, despite shitty circumstances.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I remember watching all those contests in the '80s and I knew by the second series whether or not we had a chance to win a particular game. Hot and cold indeed. But when he was on, it was thing of beauty

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
What in the world is a "Mandatory Seahawk Reunion"? He never even finished his career with them.

That being said, Kreig is one of my all time favorites. Seahawk or otherwise.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":3t57zklz said:
I remember watching all those contests in the '80s and I knew by the second series whether or not we had a chance to win a particular game. Hot and cold indeed. But when he was on, it was thing of beauty

You are "dead on"!! When he was "clicking on all eight cylinders", there wasn't a better QB in the NFL! Those games were so much fun to watch. However, it was simply painful to watch him struggle. It would just ruin my Sundays!

pehawk

Reaction score
Because I dont see color, I enjoy Bigpumpkin's posts.

I'm sure others DONT enjoy his posts...racists.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
the 'top 10' lists, at least some of them, were made a while ago... not sure if they edit and revise them but as far as I can tell they don't, so I don't neccessarily think krieg is on the list just because of recent hawks hype.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I remember being upset when they let Dave go. I was young (14). I had the sense though that maybe his time was up and we had to move on. He went on to play for seven more years and in that time period we had nothing but turds as quarterbacks. Disappointing to hear that hes kind of a tool to his fans.