Florio speculates Sidney Rice may be released

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• I don't see it.

But we shall see.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Florio was also speculating that Percy Harvin's migraines were all fake earlier today.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Nope, would be a dumb move.
    Skittles - The candy of champions.
    Seahawksfan425
    NET Veteran

• Mark my word. Write it down. This is not happening.

Most of these "experts" don't realize that we are not spending that much money at our QB position.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• Irresponsible to speculate on this without knowing Harvin's cap hit.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Notice that the "source" only gives details about Rice's contract and doesn't suggest anything about the team's thinking on it. Florio's trying to drum up drama.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• with bevell i just don't see us cutting rice.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• That seems kind of reactionary. I think Sidney will be gone eventually, but I would expect him to be here next year. Unless they need to free up money for another big time FA(defense)
    misfit
    NET Starter

• Hmm. Makes sense from the cap number and one had to figure Rice and Miller's numbers were pretty substantial, such that they would be needing to adjust or leave next season. This season seems a bit pre-mature until they know that Tate can put back to back solid seasons up.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• man i hope not... i have faith in the FO
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• This article is completely idiotic and baseless. just a waste of bandwidth. Rice is not getting cut.

Win Forever!
    JonRud
    NET Veteran

• Absolutely ridiculous. The only reason Rice's stats are lower is that we were breaking in a rookie QB and we like to move the ball around to other pieces of the offense.

If we targeted Sidney 10-12 times a game, he'd be a 1000 yard, 10 TD guy easily.

Stupid.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• yeah well this guy can go screw himself. Rice isn't going anywhere and if you think have Vanilla the offense was the first half of the season you can see why. PLUS RW likes to spread the ball around. It was Rice's first year playing fully healthy with a ROOKIE QUARTERBACK.
    ***In Carroll We Trust***
    kthebestwayw
    NET Veteran

• This is why Florio is not taken seriously. He passes on his pure speculation are rumors...just terrible
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• A year or two down the road? Maybe. Now? Not going to happen.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• JSeahawks wrote:I don't see it.

But we shall see.

Sadly, I do. He's getting paid a lot of money for middling production. He's good for stretching the field but his play style makes him an injury risk (he falls down hard after almost every catch), and Golden Tate is establishing himself as the bigger threat. Much as I'd love to see Harvin, Rice, and Golden on the field together, it seems likely that Rice is the odd man out.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Florio also said Seattle should drop Flynn because he cost to much money against the cap....

so yeah...Florio....
    DericLee
    NET Veteran

• SmokinHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:I don't see it.

But we shall see.

Sadly, I do. He's getting paid a lot of money for middling production. He's good for stretching the field but his play style makes him an injury risk (he falls down hard after almost every catch), and Golden Tate is establishing himself as the bigger threat. Much as I'd love to see Harvin, Rice, and Golden on the field together, it seems likely that Rice is the odd man out.

Except we're not in a salary cup crunch (especially if we move flynn), so there's no reason to do it. Maybe in a year or two, but not now.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I speculate that..... hmmmm..... Florio is an idiot. Yeah that sounds good.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• You can't justify the Harvin trade if they cut Rice, which means that guy has no idea what he's talking about. That would mean Seattle essentially gave up a 1st, 7th, 2014 mid-round pick, Leon Washington and Sidney Rice to acquire Percy Harvin. They can't possibly be that stupid.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• The only way we get rid of Sidney is if we draft a big WR and he outplays Rice either in TC or during the year and he makes Rice expendable
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Like Missing_Clink said, it's hard to speculate cap ramifications without knowing how much we're paying Harvin, and how it's structured.

I can see us needing to restructure Rice or Miller after next year, but we don't have a ton of FA needing to be signed, lots of our draft picks probably won't make the team, and we're saving a TON of money at certain positions, as has also been mentioned.

If we're paying Harvin what he wants though, then yeah, it's logical speculation. That's just too much money tied up in Harvin, Rice, and Miller.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Florio is a complete Douche!! I deleted the PFT because I couldn't stand his speculatory crap. Plus, when he has an agenda, he is relentless about it in every post.
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Remember - cap now rolls over so cutting Rice today gives us room under the salary cap NEXT YEAR

I still don't think it happens and agree with DavidSeven then we gave up a first, fourth, seven and Rice for Harvin. There is trade value in Rice (I think :) )
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:Notice that the "source" only gives details about Rice's contract and doesn't suggest anything about the team's thinking on it. Florio's trying to drum up drama.

East Coast "Drama Queens" have nothing better to do than irresponsible speculation.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Not this year. Some other year where we have to worry about some of our current rookie deals.
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

• I think that Sidney may be asked to restructure his deal but even if he says no, he may be able to survive for this season w/o facing the possibility of being cut.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken. The OLine still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Rice wouldn't even be the first guy to get approached about his contract anyway. Thankfully, this is just empty speculation by Florio. No smoke, no fire.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• pinksheets wrote:Florio was also speculating that Percy Harvin's migraines were all fake earlier today.

Beat me to it. Florio's a schmuck. What he doesn't seem to care about is they have cap room THIS year. Rice and Miller's deals are much more cap friendly this year. If we're going all in to win now, it would be ridiculous to cut Rice. Look at his numbers with harvin and favre in minnesota.
    "If I were Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn, I'd be leery of this kid because if you give him a chance, if you give him a chance and look past his 5 foot 11 or 5-10 and a half or whatever it is, if you give this kid a legitimate chance to win the job, he'll win it" - John Gruden
    mjwhitay
    NET Rookie

• pete just said (on siriusXM) they are adding, not moving anyone around or out
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

• Having 2 small starting receivers would be against the Carroll philosophy on offense. We have no big guy to take Rice's place if released, if he was you'd have to figure they already have another big guy targeted somewhere.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

• Why release him this season? What do we need the money for? Next off season re-evaluate maybe to resign Earl and Sherm but there's no point this year

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

• From AgentDib's post:

PK: Speculation people may be let go for salary, ripple effect.

PC: He's not taking anybody's spot, we're just adding guys in to get as many good players. We love what golden and sydney are doing for us, and those will be our top 4 and that is good news for us.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• bryantology79 wrote:pete just said (on siriusXM) they are adding, not moving anyone around or out

Here's the quote:

PC: One of our put out transcripts and I was raving about trying to stop him. He gets the ball so many ways and he is such a dangerous runner after the catch. They got it to him in a multitude of ways and one of the great things is that Bevell coached him into the league and respects the hell out of him. We're going to fit him and we have a really nice group with Sidney Rice, Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin. He does have some qualities - he carries the ball out of the backfield like a tailback and

Interviewer: Speculation people may be let go for salary, ripple effect.

PC: He's not taking anybody's spot, we're just adding guys in to get as many good players. We love what Golden and Sidney are doing for us, and those will be our top 4 and that is good news for us.

I guess we can lock this up now.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• The Yugoslavian wrote:Why release him this season? What do we need the money for? Next off season re-evaluate maybe to resign Earl and Sherm but there's no point this year

I guess it doesn't matter how many times it is said as people don't seem to get the concept. THE CAP SPACE ROLLS OVER TO NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

that would be what we need the money for.

With that said - PC stated today what we all think. Rice isn't going anywhere but this doesn't change the fact that every dollar saved today is available tomorrow
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• bryantology79 wrote:pete just said (on siriusXM) they are adding, not moving anyone around or out

Leon Washington must feel pretty confused by that statement
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Missing_Clink wrote:
    bryantology79 wrote:pete just said (on siriusXM) they are adding, not moving anyone around or out

I don't think he said it like that.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Missing_Clink wrote:
    bryantology79 wrote:pete just said (on siriusXM) they are adding, not moving anyone around or out

This interview took place after Leon was cut. The statement about not moving anyone else around came within the context of him discussing the top four receivers.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Missing_Clink wrote:

sorry, pete meant receiver-wise. i had a sandwich in one hand and cheetos debris on the other when i was typing.
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

• FargoHawk wrote:Florio is a complete Douche!! I deleted the PFT because I couldn't stand his speculatory crap. Plus, when he has an agenda, he is relentless about it in every post.

Yep, he was so incensed about the "Fail Mary" that was all he talked about last season, to the point where he's got a post all about "The Impact of the Fail Mary" less than two hours after our 42-13 beatdown of the Niners.

His latest agenda is pushing for the Redskins to change their team name.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• bryantology79 wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:

sorry, pete meant receiver-wise. i had a sandwich in one hand and cheetos debris on the other when i was typing.

Oh geez, there must be some interesting things growing on that keyboard!
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Florio is an idiot. Why would we do that when, in his last full season across from Harvin, Sidney had 1300 yards receiving. God, Florio is an idiot.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Horseshit.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Florio is a dolt. Couldn't carry Adam Schefter's BlackBerry...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Florio is either an idiot or a hater.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• If we release Rice, who would be one of our few big receivers that produces, then this trade starts to veer in the the stupid/foolish category.

I don't want this to be like the Vin Baker trade where we get some guy that we feel is a star with just a few problems, but that the cost of keeping means gutting a few players - players that turn out to be important. Any Seattle fans of any sport are probably conditioned to listen for the sound of the other shoe dropping...so maybe this is that.

But getting rid of Rice so that we can have a squadron of 4ft tall receivers does not sound wise.

I am already bothered we lost Leon, this would just grind it in.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• People talking about cuts in reaction to the Harvin trade don't take into account that trading Flynn and installing a decent backup QB at a backup's salary gives the Hawks a lot of bang for very few bucks at QB...

Makes sense to use a little of the cap space freed up by the QB bargain to give RW the best receiver corps they can get.

JMO/YMMV
    BadgerVid
    NET Bench Warmer

• I don't see that happening at all. Harvin likes him some Sid. This will be a reunion if anything and I'm looking forward to it.
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

• Pete and Percy discussed how much they were looking forward to having Rice, Tate and Harvin out on the field at the same time next season, so I don't think he's going anywhere (not that I ever did think he was)

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Next

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information