Instant Reaction: Rate the Harvin trade

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

I feel the Harvin trade was:

A masterstroke: Harvin is easily worth the price
39%
It's very expensive, but Harvin makes good sense
47%
Given the high cost, this deal should probably "break even" overall.
8%
Why not Revis or maybe Suh instead? Harumph!
1%
This is the Deion Branch trade all over again.
5%

Total votes : 304

Instant Reaction: Rate the Harvin trade
Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:14 pm
  • Fire away.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• They took what they knew was a great player with their first pick and a few more. I'm so excited over this. Harvin and Wilson are going to be incredible.

I am STOKED.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• It's expensive, but if they think he is the missing piece for the offense it is worth it.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Who is the maroon that voted for Deon Branch all over again?
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• I want to see what the contract looks like first.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Well worth the price, In my opinion.

A very young, VERY talented, multi-faceted player, who seems to me to just need a change of scenery.

Also, who knows how our first pick would have panned out? Could have been a bust, could have taken years to develop. Atleast we know what we have here, and it's worth it to me.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• He is a playmaker. Bubble screens , pistol with him and kickoffs. Can't wait for camp to see these guys
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Like it has been pointed out a few times in the main thread, what we gave up is essentially for an early 20's pick. At this point in his career as he moves into his prime, there is no way he lasts that long in said hypothetical draft. Money talks are going to happen and it may mean cutting some loose ends and trimming the fat off others, but we have a top 10 'talent' on the offensive side of the ball who can change the outcome of a game in one play.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• I like adding Harvin for Wilson to use now and hopefully Harvin/Wilson stay together for many years. Pete and John are going all in for Wilson now, Harvin is young and adding him now gives Seattle more options at WR. In terms of value, if Harvin is healthy enough to play in the play-offs and puts our passing game over the top in terms of defeating anything San Fran comes up with then win/win.

No other WR we could have added from trades or FA offers the age upside along with home run threat each time the ball is in his hands.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• Given not only the picks, contract cost,(which affects who we are able to resign) injury history, and attitude issues(attacking and berating your coaches is not a non issue) I feel its hopefully a break even type deal. I feel he is ideal for this offense( I was really hoping Tavon would fall to us, probably unrealistically, and be used in this role). I think Bevell will be able to make great use of him and our offense will be much harder to stop. I understand it from that point and I'm sure once the season starts and he is making plays everyone will be I told you so about it but I think this team will have serious cap issues when we are trying to resign our secondary and especially when we start contract negotiations with Wilson in 2 years.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• He also has worked with Darrel Bevell. Should be a great feature. Working with Sidney again. We are going to have a powerful offense. Hoping the D-line gets a boost
    Aristotle22
    NET Starter

• Looking at the draft chart, it's like trading the 21st pick overall. It seems a fair trade. However, I really have to say that this answer is incomplete - if the contract is bad, the trade is bad.

I think they'll go high on the overall dollar amount and lower on the guaranteed money. Maybe something like 5/75 but only 14-17M of that is guaranteed.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• It was a coup. We got a proven top tier talent for the price of a couple prospects. Easy peasy.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Even this contrarian would be a churl to ignore Harvin's talent.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• I give it an A++. If i could pick any players from the league to put onto the Seahawks to help them get better Harvin would have been in the top 10 of that list.

I couldnt care less about the price tag. There's always ways to manage and massage the cap to get done what you need to get done.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I think it may be a possibility that Rice is gone, this year or more likely next, thus the re-signing of the young players would be significantly less of a problem. I'd expect the Seahawks to draft a tall/fast WR in the mid-late rounds this year as a potential replacement for Rice - this year & possibly next year as well. Just my opinion.
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• I voted for the idea of "why not Revis or Suh instead", but not the actual players... well Suh I'd be happy with, not so much Revis - I'm just not convinced WR is the position of need we thought it was even in October - yes there were times Wilson struggled to find an open man, but he also finished the season with 22 TD passes in 11 games (including playoffs) as a rookie, where he faced not 1, not 2, not 3 or 4 but FIVE top 10 pass defenses (seven that finished in the top 10 (11 really, as the 10th placed teams tied) in receiving TDs allowed - even more impressive when you consider we finished third).

It's reasonable to believe that number would have increased without Harvin anyway, a 35-40 passing TD season not unreasonable to imagine.

I would much rather have spent that pick and salary beefing up our real areas of weakness (the defensive line and Leroy Hill replacement) than on Harvin.
    There's not a single game from the road 49ers game onwards that I thought we lost because of our offense.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Wanted this guy ever since Pete talked him up so much. I couldn't be happier right NOW and we still have free agency tomorrow and the draft after that. This thing is really taking shape.
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

• I'll let the FO worry about the price. I love this move!
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I hate it. The contract will hamstring our defense. If we lose any of our DBs because of this it will be an absolute disaster. Our defense is the one with the major issues, not the offense. Why are we throwing draft picks and money at it?
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• ivotuk wrote:I hate it. The contract will hamstring our defense. If we lose any of our DBs because of this it will be an absolute disaster. Our defense is the one with the major issues, not the offense. Why are we throwing draft picks and money at it?

You dont even know what the contract is yet and its already disastrous and hamstringing our defense? If we lose DB's because of it, we'll draft new ones. If there's any area where you should trust Pete and John its in that.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• So does Harvin still want Calvin Johnson's contract?
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:I hate it. The contract will hamstring our defense. If we lose any of our DBs because of this it will be an absolute disaster. Our defense is the one with the major issues, not the offense. Why are we throwing draft picks and money at it?

You dont even know what the contract is yet and its already disastrous and hamstringing our defense? If we lose DB's because of it, we'll draft new ones. If there's any area where you should trust Pete and John its in that.

we know what he wants. we don't know what he'll get.

But don't rely on PC and JS drafting new ones. Sometimes they bust sometimes they don't.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:I hate it. The contract will hamstring our defense. If we lose any of our DBs because of this it will be an absolute disaster. Our defense is the one with the major issues, not the offense. Why are we throwing draft picks and money at it?

Wow, you have no idea what the contract is yet...besides it was naive to think our entire was going to stay intact anyway. The acquisition of Percy Harvin is not going to undue the team even if you think so. The blinders some of you have on are incredibly big.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Carmon1274 wrote:

we know what he wants. we don't know what he'll get.

But don't rely on PC and JS drafting new ones. Sometimes they bust sometimes they don't.

Don't rely on the draft? Really?

Woooooooow... :shock:
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• This is an amazing moment to be a seahawks fan. Our defense will improve for the sheer fact our offense will be playing with the lead the majority of the time. They will do whatever is best for the team, if Sherm or Kam want to be overpaid they will walk but we will still have RW and his army of WR's
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

• Might of been a bit of a gamble long term, but hard to argue that this doesn't make us significantly better for 2013!
    DannyMcGwire
    NET Bench Warmer

• Also, I love that San Fran fans are crapping all over themselves about this trade.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• Went with expensive but makes sense. Almost dead even between the first 2 options. We're going to be one exciting team to watch, that's for sure.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm glad we did it, but it is expensive. Combination of picks and salary make it spendy, but I am very confident it will be worth it.

As far as Branch, he was not the talent that Harvin is.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

• 12th_Bob wrote:Also, I love that San Fran fans are crapping all over themselves about this trade.

That, and their signing of Boldin right away, indicates to me that there were high hopes that Harvin would be a Niner.

And the rule of life is: Anything that makes a Niner fan sad = Something that makes me happy
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

• Harvin is 24 years old and is an All-Pro talent.

His injury history is overstated. It wasn't his knee last year (just a high ankle sprain) and previously he only missed 3 games in 3 seasons.

He may not have prolific receiving numbers but he has averaged around 2000 all-purpose yards per year in his first 4 years - (even with an injury shortened season this year) - which is elite.

We traded our first round pick for this year, which is 25th overall, AFTER we had the chance to assess all of the talent in this year's draft. This is important as this isn't a blind first rounder. We know what we would have got at 25 and feel Harvin is worth more.

Regardless, Harvin is worth more than just about every 25th pick overall who has ever existed.

He is a special talent that improves our offense by adding dimensions it never had and special teams.

This is a fantastic trade.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• Last 16 games for Percy Harvin

112 receptions
    1496 offensive yards
    11 offensive TDs
    Kickoff Return TD

Not too shabby
    fridayfrenzy
    NET Rookie

• fridayfrenzy wrote:Last 16 games for Percy Harvin

112 receptions
    1496 offensive yards
    11 offensive TDs
    Kickoff Return TD

Not too shabby

With Christian Ponder as his QB.

He's the best of Joey Galloway, Leon Washington and Golden Tate all wrapped into one.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I dislike the price with what we gave up and what it twill take to sign him. I hope we didn't hamstring our defense our ability to re-sgn Sherman, Thomas, ect.

That said, I think San Francisco wanted him and may have driven up the price. If so, we are also keeping it away from a divisional opponent, all the better.

In the end, I think this shows where we are and that Pete and John are ready to win NOW. And the best way to do that may be to make RW and the offense all the more dangerous. And that may be the best way to help the D, especially if we put up 7 more points a game.
    hawkmanj
    NET Starter

• Think the draft price is a steal. I worry that we're going to lean on the offense to set up the defense, but if the gambit works, we'll see a lot more INTs next year.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Those that said Branch identify yourselves.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• By the time the guys who won't be back/can't be back are factored in, this
    contract will hardly feel like armageddon.

The fans have to wait a decent interval until "sticker shock" is absorbed,
    then they can feel o.k. about the trade as just a trade.

You would not get anybody this good in the first round this year.
    The 7th rounder will already be a memory by the time the draft arrives.

Next year's traded pick (the Viks board is saying a 3rd?) will probably
    have been recouped by JS by the time that draft arrives.
    He's done it before.
    two dog
    NET Veteran

• I don't get all the I don't like the price talk, franchise type players who are in the prime of their careers don't come for backup qbs and borderline 2nd round picks alone and they cost money. Most would argue he's a top 5 wr but if you're really wanting to put up a fight about it he's a lock for top 10, cant argue that...with this years first and next yrs 3rd or 4th you're hoping to land a stud, take the risk out of it go straight after the known stud, no guesswork needed. Some of you talk as if 2 picks guarantees 2 quality starters and we just lost 2 top end talents but we've seen plenty of busts through the years. We'll see where the contract lands but if he signs in line of Bowe this trade is a win win and I don't think we came close to overpaying for the added dimension he brings to this team.
    flmmkrz
    NET Practice Squad

• CamanoIslandJQ wrote:I think it may be a possibility that Rice is gone, this year or more likely next, thus the re-signing of the young players would be significantly less of a problem. I'd expect the Seahawks to draft a tall/fast WR in the mid-late rounds this year as a potential replacement for Rice - this year & possibly next year as well. Just my opinion.

Yep!!
    I'm foolish I know, but that's why I still want to go after Ryan Swope, the kid is really fast, and if indeed Rice does go bye bye after 13, we would have his replacement being fitted and groomed to take the field in his place.
    We still have to address the "Pass Rush", but I TRUST THAT P.C. & J.S. will take care of that issue in short order.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:
    fridayfrenzy wrote:Last 16 games for Percy Harvin

112 receptions
    1496 offensive yards
    11 offensive TDs
    Kickoff Return TD

Not too shabby

With Christian Ponder as his QB.

He's the best of Joey Galloway, Leon Washington and Golden Tate all wrapped into one.

Yup! And with the way RW spreads the ball around, Percy will feel less of a need to press, which lessens the potential for injury. In contrast, AP will be pressing to the max next season.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• A couple of concerns I have on this addition essentially boil down to Russell Wilson. I love Wilson and marked hard when we drafted him, however there are a couple of things that he does not excel at that are to Harvin's strengths. Even going back to his NC State days, Wilson does not throw well to the short middle and one of the best areas to get Harvin the ball is underneath the LB's and allow him to create in that area. Harvin is also a huge run after the catch guy where hitting him in stride is the best thing for him, but Wilson has always (again back to his NC State days) been a little high and away from receivers (probably to avoid the possibility of interceptions) to hit them in full stride.

I know that Wilson and Harvin will both put in the work to improve on these things and I hope that I am way overstating these concerns.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• Harvin being compared to Branch is silly imho. Branch came from a team with arguably one of the best to ever play. Brady elevates his receivers with his talent and turns mediocre players into good players, good players into great players (God that hurt as I can't stand Brady but I have to be honest). Harvin comes from a team with an aging vet in Favre and Christian Ponder.
    Rose City Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Who is it that said "the best defense is a good offense"?

I'm not too concerned about the defense when our offense just took a huge step forward. From what I'm reading around the inter webs, our O is now looking like the gold standard of the league with the Harvin signing. Can't wait to see the scoreboard light up this year.

With the 25+ million in guaranteed money, it means the FO now must finish-out by making all the right moves following this huge deal. It changes the "plan" significantly. The really good news being guys that are not so much about the money and more about winning a championship will want to play for this team. How long has it been (or have we ever been) a team marquis players want to play for?

To me, it is all about the moves that follow this one.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine

Remembering "The Radish" :les:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• I voted expensive, but good sense. I like how PH adds insurance both ways. If Lynch gets hurt/suspended from the DUI and misses games. We got it covered. Similarly if an injury happens in the WR corps and we have to start an inferior player, PH still adds his unpredictability and explosiveness to the passing game to mask the dropoff in talent.

Well worth the $11m as Lynch approaching 30 insurance + I'd say good for 800 yards directly in the passing game + just the thought of him on the field with multiple offensive weapons and RW is a defensive laxative.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• What you have to ask yourself is where would he go in the draft this year. Percy Harvin is a top 5 pick at the least top 10. It would take our 1st and more likely next years 1st or this years 2nd and a handful of other picks to move up to get him. We got a great deal on this. Minnesota also came out feeling good on this as well. The catch phrase they keep saying is this is a win-win trade which is exactly what you want.
    BallHawker
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• I voted break even. Watching the Harvin highlight reels, he's an explosive player.

However, his injuries and the big contract worries me. He will improve the explosiveness of our offense tremendously, and it's cool to look at it from the standpoint that
    we basically drafted him with a 1st round pick.

But if he's unhealthy for stretches of the season, the trade will be a flop.
    No autographs please
    Jerhawk
    NET Starter

• I voted masterstroke. I can't even remember how many times I watched Russ run around, buying time and waiting for someone to get open last year. At times, that was in vain. Harvin makes the entire WR corps better as he will take coverage away from the other guys. If he's in the slot does anyone think they'll cover him with a nickel? Not likely so then one of our other guys gets the nickel and gets open. Dynamic player that will add points on the scoreboard and help put opposing teams in catch up mode meaning they'll become one dimensional by having to throw a lot thus making pass rushing easier for our defense. If he stays healthy this is one of the best moves the Hawks have ever made IMO.

EDIT to add: The Hawks were near the bottom of all the receiving catagories last year. Some of that was of course due to the shackles not being taken off RW until around the Shitcago game. But the YAC stat is not related to that and I believe out team was 30th in that catagory. All of that will change with Percy onboard, especially YAC.

GO ZAGS!!
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• mods should put whoever voted for Branch in time out- couple day ban!
    largenutz
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information