Wilson sack before half

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Wilson sack before half
Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:54 am
  • Notice Zach Miller in the seam..

If Sweezy holds off his man longer than .3 seconds.. it's an EASY touchdown.

Damn it all.

February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Re: Wilson sack before half
Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:00 am
  • Yeah Sweezy just doesn't have the experience yet. We lost and nothing can change it so i won't be to hard on him. But that cannot happen in that situation it just can't. He hardly touched the guy. He will get better next year. They are all young and will learn.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 am
  • oh he touched him plenty... enough to put a saddle on him and ride him all the way to the backfield...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:04 am
  • Another interesting thing Carroll talked about was that Wilson put the ball down on the field after the sac rather than handing it to the ref as they teach. This allowed the Falcons player to kick the ball.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:06 am
  • Yeah but Sweezy sucks, so he didn't.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:07 am
  • What did they gain from the revolving door of Sweezy and Moffitt yesterday? Whoever helps the O line play with more consistency as a unit should have been playing the whole game. I do not understand that strategy considering it was a freaking playoff game. And yea, Sweezy was absolutely pathetic on that play.

Here's hoping that Carpenter comes back healthy and locks down LG, and Paul McQuistan can slide over and hold down RG next year.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:11 am
  • Also, Wilson has to know to throw it away there. He needed to do absolutely anything to not take a sack. Even intentional grounding would have been ok. There would still be time after the ten second runoff, and a ten yard penalty still gives you a chance for a very make-able field goal.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 am
  • Good point Clink
    Aristotle22
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:50 am
  • Missing_Clink wrote:Also, Wilson has to know to throw it away there. He needed to do absolutely anything to not take a sack. Even intentional grounding would have been ok. There would still be time after the ten second runoff, and a ten yard penalty still gives you a chance for a very make-able field goal.

i agree Clink, but man i honestly don't know if he even had time to throw it away, i mean sweezy whiffed big time, that dude was back there within seconds...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:50 am
  • I don't understand why DangeRuss seems to be getting blasted today by media pundits over him "taking that sack". It seemed to me that he didn't really have much of a say in that situation. The ball was snapped and it felt like he wasn't even done dropping back before he was getting thrown to the ground.
    rsRyno
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 am
  • I'm not so sure it was an "easy touchdown". The safety was over the top and moving in.
    @SeahawkGreg

GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:56 am
  • Missing_Clink wrote:Also, Wilson has to know to throw it away there. He needed to do absolutely anything to not take a sack. Even intentional grounding would have been ok. There would still be time after the ten second runoff, and a ten yard penalty still gives you a chance for a very make-able field goal.

Wilson throwing it away wasn't possible. He hadn't hardly dropped back when he got sacked. Sweezy may have the physical skills that Cable looks for in an lineman, and maybe given a full off season, he'll become better, but that one particular play has to fall on Sweezy.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:16 am

Its easy to say when watching the video but that Falcon player was on Russell within 2 seconds. I don't care how lighting quick someone is they're not gonna be able to get that ball off in 2 seconds. No way.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:23 am

Man that block was so bad, didn't really give Wilson time to do that.

And with a grounding, they run 10 seconds off the clock then start the clock back up I believe. So it's end of half either way.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:26 am
  • No way he could have thrown that away. He was just getting set after his drop when he got hit. No Way.....
    When life slips you a Jeffery, stroke a furry wall.
    http://www.yakimamavericks.org
    Soppie
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:33 am

No way man. It would be one thing if it were an extra blitzer coming from the outside. But a guy coming untouched up the middle? No knowledgeable football fan blames that on Wilson.
    pocketprotector
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:45 am
  • I put no blame on Russell there, he had no time to do anything thanks to Sweezy's "block" or lack there of. I love JR's potential, but he has cost us more than I would have liked, really wish they had just stuck with Moffitt as he seemed to do a fine job when he was put in.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 am
  • Echoing the sentiments of the other posters here. Sweezy got dusted so quickly that Wilson never had time to get rid of the ball. His football intelligence is off the charts, I'm sure he knew he can't take a sack in that situation but the defender was on him so fast he couldn't throw it away.
    TheHawkDoc
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:04 pm
  • *sigh*

We get it.

You don't like Wilson.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 pm
  • Honestly, since there was no timeouts left at the time, the thought crossed my mind to not take a chance on a player being tackled in the field of play (since we couldn't clock it) and just take the safe FG. But I wonder how that decision would have been received at the time...ie considered chickening out?
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:19 pm
  • HawkRiderFan wrote:Honestly, since there was no timeouts left at the time, the thought crossed my mind to not take a chance on a player being tackled in the field of play (since we couldn't clock it) and just take the safe FG. But I wonder how that decision would have been received at the time...ie considered chickening out?

Being down 20-0 at the time most fans would have killed Carroll for taking a FG on 3rd down with 16 seconds left. In hindsight that would have been the better option but that's why they call it hindsight. I think the people criticizing Wilson for "taking a sack" are off-base here and should be criticizing Sweezy because he has to know that he can't give up a sack there. He was clearly beat immediately off the snap and had to know Wilson was in trouble. He should have done whatever he could to prevent it from happening, including drawing a holding penalty, as that would have been a 10 yard penalty and still given us the opportunity to kick around a 40 yard FG instead of getting nothing at all.
    TheHawkDoc
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:29 pm
  • It wouldn't have been intentional grounding. Considering the time frame of the game, the last two minutes of the half, the rules allow for spiking the ball.

I think clock management in general, and two minute drills, are going to be a big focus for this team this off season. Let's face it, this team had a lot going on this past off season and in season to be so highly focused on everything that goes into performing at a high level in all areas. There were short cuts taken because, at the time, Pete and his staff had some serious questions they needed to answer.

That's why the good news this off season, next training camp, is that the Seahawks are seriously beyond satisfied with Wilson as the QB. We all are. More good news. Russell Wilson will be also heading into next season, for the first time in his life, a one sport athlete. Think about that guys, because he is this good as a rookie with all the adversity to get the job, up to this year he was splitting reps in his own career goals, with baseball, right along with an education.
    madbohem
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:38 pm
  • Greenhell wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Also, Wilson has to know to throw it away there. He needed to do absolutely anything to not take a sack. Even intentional grounding would have been ok. There would still be time after the ten second runoff, and a ten yard penalty still gives you a chance for a very make-able field goal.

Its easy to say when watching the video but that Falcon player was on Russell within 2 seconds. I don't care how lighting quick someone is they're not gonna be able to get that ball off in 2 seconds. No way.

Exactly, and the end result could have easily been intentional grounding instead of a sack.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:42 pm
  • Isn't it 10 second runoff and clock keeps running once ball is spotted? possible but really hard to get a kicking team out there

spiking is not an option when you run a play where the qb is getting sacked. you will get intentional ground all day on that

the line didn't hold which was horrible another split second and all the things come into play including throwing away the ball. It didn't happen coaches should have expected it to happen (which they did) and RW can't get rid of the ball

sucks but you know what looking at it a few times and I just don't see anything on the execution or play calling side that should have been different. The game was lost because of the number of opportunities screwed up in the first half........
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:45 pm
  • madbohem wrote:It wouldn't have been intentional grounding. Considering the time frame of the game, the last two minutes of the half, the rules allow for spiking the ball.

I think clock management in general, and two minute drills, are going to be a big focus for this team this off season. Let's face it, this team had a lot going on this past off season and in season to be so highly focused on everything that goes into performing at a high level in all areas. There were short cuts taken because, at the time, Pete and his staff had some serious questions they needed to answer.

That's why the good news this off season, next training camp, is that the Seahawks are seriously beyond satisfied with Wilson as the QB. We all are. More good news. Russell Wilson will be also heading into next season, for the first time in his life, a one sport athlete. Think about that guys, because he is this good as a rookie with all the adversity to get the job, up to this year he was splitting reps in his own career goals, with baseball, right along with an education.

You can only take one step back then spike the ball for it to be spiking to stop the clock. Once you take more than one step it would be intentional grounding.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:47 pm
  • AF_Hawk wrote:
    madbohem wrote:It wouldn't have been intentional grounding. Considering the time frame of the game, the last two minutes of the half, the rules allow for spiking the ball.

You can only take one step back then spike the ball for it to be spiking to stop the clock. Once you take more than one step it would be intentional grounding.

True. But maybe I should say that I would have hoped they would have come out to spike the ball.
    madbohem
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:40 pm
  • I think the blown 4th and 1 play was worse than this. Next time, 3rd and 1 ... just let your QB get 1 yard.
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:30 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information