What do you want? Kick Off or Receive First?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • And why?
    seahawksfan4ever
    NET Bench Warmer

• Kick off. Give our D a chance to start hitting those receivers. Plus, get the ball to start the 2nd half.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• D. Knock them in the mouth AND we get the ball after half time.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• I want to kick off, always. Let your defense set the tone earlier. A three-and-out is a huge mental advantage. Even if they fail to stop them from scoring on the opening drive, we still get the ball first in the second half, which is always, always a good thing.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Agree with everyone, we are a great second half adjusting team.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• I always want the ball to start the 2nd half. In case things go to sh*t in the 1st half, it's a great opportunity to change the momentum coming out of the gates in the 2nd half.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• I want the ball and I want to score.

On the road in the playoffs, for me, the biggest battle is containing early home crowd momentum. Just look what happened last week in DC. This Atlanta crowd wants to party as fast as possible. Delay that as long as you can and take the lead on them first, and all their worries about another playoff choke will creep right to the forefront. The Hawks are going to have to put up points to win this game. Might as well get a quick start on it.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• I ALWAYS want to kickoff. Except in this game. RECEIVE.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• I'd like to receive the ball first. Early games can prove troublesome if you don't start fast. I would rather take it to them with Lynch as soon as possible. I have faith in the D, but again, those early games, seems like teams just come out flat often times. If Atlanta were to score on the first possession, could get ugly.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• bestfightstory wrote:I ALWAYS want to kickoff. Except in this game. RECEIVE.

I'm leaning exactly this way. While I almost always want to defer to the second half, I think a fast start against the Falcons makes all the difference in the world.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Normally I would say kick to them first. In this game however I think it would be the ultimate punch in the mouth to get the ball first, and sustain about a 9 minute drive and run the ball down their throat!
    Beast Mode 05 Sep 12 - "And then with our defense playing the way that they've been playing, we don't even need an offense."
    dbsn2420
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:I want to kick off, always. Let your defense set the tone earlier. A three-and-out is a huge mental advantage. Even if they fail to stop them from scoring on the opening drive, we still get the ball first in the second half, which is always, always a good thing.

I agree with this whole heartedly. It means if we can go through the first half and keep the game close or tied (like the Washington game) it gives us a chance to set the tone to finish by starting off the second half. Pete is all about finishing and I fully endorse taking the ball first for the second half.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Receiving. Falcons have been great all year in opening drives.
    Dirty Bird
    NET Rookie

• Kick. We kick the majority of time why change it now. Defense needs to start strong unlike last week, so this is a statement for them.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Dirty Bird wrote:Receiving. Falcons have been great all year in opening drives.

Works for us. If you're team likes the ball to start the game and we like it to start the 2nd half, we don't even need a coin toss :)

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Kick-off so that the offense can come on the field already up 7-0.........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• dbsn2420 wrote:Normally I would say kick to them first. In this game however I think it would be the ultimate punch in the mouth to get the ball first, and sustain about a 9 minute drive and run the ball down their throat!

great point may sway my choice.
    Wolf grey all day every day.
    VHawk
    NET Veteran

• And what if you go three and out on your first drive in a hostile environment. Now, you didn't score, they have HUGE momentum, and you don't get the ball to start the next half.

Kicking off was the right choice last week and it will be again. It is much easier to know what's working on offense after you've had a half to make adjustments.

Possessions later in games are always worth more than possessions earlier in games.
    formido
    NET Starter

• kidhawk wrote:
    Dirty Bird wrote:Receiving. Falcons have been great all year in opening drives.

Works for us. If you're team likes the ball to start the game and we like it to start the 2nd half, we don't even need a coin toss :)

:13:
    Dirty Bird
    NET Rookie

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:I ALWAYS want to kickoff. Except in this game. RECEIVE.

I'm leaning exactly this way. While I almost always want to defer to the second half, I think a fast start against the Falcons makes all the difference in the world.

I want a blowout. I want it early. I want the parking lot near empty when the game is over.
    AVL
    NET Starter

• Kick Off -- better to get the ball in the 2nd half in my opinion.
    Seahawks_FanMan
    NET Bench Warmer

• I always want to kick. We make great half-time adjustments, an extra offensive possession in the 2nd half helps our overall game.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Softy and Hugh Millen were just talking about this. They both agreed that if we receive and score then we can play with a lead and when playing with a lead against the falcons, doubt will soon start to creep into their minds. Tons of pressure on the falcons. Maybe receiving and scoring on a long opening drive wouldn't be so bad.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:I always want to kick. We make great half-time adjustments, an extra offensive possession in the 2nd half helps our overall game.

what if the adjustments are needed on the defensive side and not the offensive side?..........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I always want to kick. We make great half-time adjustments, an extra offensive possession in the 2nd half helps our overall game.

what if the adjustments are needed on the defensive side and not the offensive side?..........

Doesn't matter. Like he said, more possessions in the 2nd half is never a bad thing.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I always want to kick. We make great half-time adjustments, an extra offensive possession in the 2nd half helps our overall game.

Wouldn't an extra offensive possession in the 2nd half also help the defense?

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• kidhawk wrote:Wouldn't an extra offensive possession in the 2nd half also help the defense?

Yep.

It's win-win for us. We're not a team that needs a strong start to win games.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:I ALWAYS want to kickoff. Except in this game. RECEIVE.

This is the way I am leaning too. However, I certainly wouldn't be upset if we kicked first.
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Honestly, I think the first team with the ball is going to score.

I would like that to be us. If we take the lead into the locker room, I don't see us relinquishing it.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• Kick off.

If we don't there is always the chance that the Falcons score to end the first half and then score to begin the 2nd half. A potential 14 point swing without even touching the ball.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• formido wrote:And what if you go three and out on your first drive in a hostile environment. Now, you didn't score, they have HUGE momentum, and you don't get the ball to start the next half.

Kicking off was the right choice last week and it will be again. It is much easier to know what's working on offense after you've had a half to make adjustments.

Possessions later in games are always worth more than possessions earlier in games.

This man is speaking the truth. You should praise him whole heartily. Any other option is false and should defer to this response quoted above.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan77 wrote:Softy and Hugh Millen were just talking about this.

How can Millen be talking with his mouth full of microphone?
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Receive. I want to set the tone of them playing from behind
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• I want us to kick to them because I need to see our D set the tone early. We hold them and it makes a huge statement early, sets up field position and gives us the ball first in the second half. Even if they score first it will give Pete & Gus something to look at right away. I think that plan has worked best for us so far, no?
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

• Kick it! To three and out ATL on their opening drive and then score would put the crowd on Mute instantly.
    SoCalSeahawk
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• kidhawk wrote:
    mikeak wrote:

Wouldn't an extra offensive possession in the 2nd half also help the defense?

If your defense is behind in the first half and need halftime adjustments then you would want to minimize the opponents possessions right?

In my book we have made more halftime adjustments for defense compared to offense...
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• A lot of great points for both options. Normally I would say kick. Based on the fact that the Falcons have lost the last three and have all the pressure, our team seems loose, and everyone says if we get up on them they may start to pack it in I say receive. Sure our offense could come out and go three and out, if they do it's another lesson for DangeRuss and he will learn from it. If we score though and run it down their throat like the Skins did to us does anyone here think the Falcons are as mentally tough as we are and will feel like they can come back and make adjustments? The reward for us could be huge esp with all the self doubt this team already has.

Either way go hawks!!
    Timberhawk
    NET Rookie

• I would normally say kick off first but not with the Falcons. I want to receive first. If we get up on the Falcons early they will wilt. It will force them out of their game plan early and the pressure will mount as the crowd grows quiet.
    SeaWolv
    NET Starter

• Aros wrote:I want to kick off, always. Let your defense set the tone earlier. A three-and-out is a huge mental advantage. Even if they fail to stop them from scoring on the opening drive, we still get the ball first in the second half, which is always, always a good thing.

Agreed. Especially on the road in a noisy house.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information