Is it time to ditch Thurmond?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I don't mean ditch him now...but after the season.

He's talented....but the dude just CANNOT stay healthy. He's out this week AGAIN and Pete said today probably out for the first playoff game as well. He's been active for only 22 of 48 games since he turned pro. I like him, but this is getting really, really old.

Lane looks like a great slot cover/depth guy. Trufant will probably be released after the season. Perhaps we should draft some more CB depth.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Competition, baby. He'll have to earn his way on the team next year. I have a feeling he will.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1f7kwmt2 said:
Competition, baby. He'll have to earn his way on the team next year. I have a feeling he will.

Talent wise, I agree. But he's taking up a roster spot right now...and I'm not sure his talent will keep trumping that.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Not our call.

I'm sure that Pete and John will do the best thing for the team.

NYCoug

Reaction score
If you listened to this board, twitter, most other avenues you'd probably have to say yes.

I'm with Hawkstorian. It doesn't hurt to have him on the team in camp next season, competing for a spot. There is no harm in that. We know he's got the talent, we see it every time he plays no matter how rare we actually see him play. He'll have to earn it next season like 'Storian says, but I agree that he will.

I'm pulling for him but he's fighting an uphill battle. Either way, we'll have some good DB's on the roster again next season, that I'm sure of.

themunn

Reaction score
Nah, I give him until the end of his contract

We just sent a LT to the pro bowl that only played 22 out of 34 games in his first two seasons that people were claiming was injury prone.

Yes, Thurmond has missed even more games, but he's suffered from really bad injuries that can take a few years to really get over - tearing knee ligaments, breaking his leg and then again damaged his knee in the offseason, but with the correct physio and nursing it's possible to salvage him.

People were saying the same about Sidney Rice but I bet nobody is ready to dump him now...

kobebryant

Reaction score
Nope, no point.

If he can't get healthy guys will just pass him on the depth chart. His contract is by no means a burden. Never like to call for another mans job.

Its not like "shoot, we need to ditch Thurmond so that we could keep Ron Parker on the team"

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thurmond is a really good corner and I think the best option we have to cover the slot. I have faith in him getting healthy and when he does, opposing offenses will have nowhere to throw to except the check down.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
themunn":2i7dzoyt said:
Nah, I give him until the end of his contract

We just sent a LT to the pro bowl that only played 22 out of 34 games in his first two seasons that people were claiming was injury prone.

Yes, Thurmond has missed even more games, but he's suffered from really bad injuries that can take a few years to really get over - tearing knee ligaments, breaking his leg and then again damaged his knee in the offseason, but with the correct physio and nursing it's possible to salvage him.

People were saying the same about Sidney Rice but I bet nobody is ready to dump him now...

22 out of 34 is a lot different than 22 out of 48. The difference is 64% to 45%, which is significant.

But good point on the severity of Thurmond's injuries.

ensett

Reaction score
Thurmond missed just as much time in college, too. To say hes made out of glass would actually be better than he really is.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3hvd06nn said:
FlyingGreg":3hvd06nn said:
but the dude just CANNOT stay healthy.

Neither could "glass ankles" Okung.

To be fair Okung had a history of good health missing only one game in college ironically for a high ankle sprain that he only missed one game for. Thurmond was consistently banged up in college.

Someone said it best, he's still on his rookie contract, it doesn't hurt the Seahawks to bring him to camp next year. I figure Trufant won't be back.

Looking down the road I think the Hawks are going to have to make a decision to keep Browner OR Sherman and that's an easy call, I could see them drafting one in the next two years in the first four rounds.

JKent82

Reaction score
Nope. If he's healthy going into training camp and is healthy come roster cut downs I sure hope he's on the roster. I see no reason to dump him now, were not that crunched for spots on the roster. Let him compete and if he's healthy I'm sure he'll earn a spot.

And honestly not that much of a surprise he had a muscle pull in his first game back.

kearly

Reaction score
I'll trust Pete on this one. I expect that he will continue to add corners in the 2013 draft- or possibly with UDFA selections.

When healthy Thurmond is (IMO) our 2nd best corner. He is terrific at timing his jump on routes much like Sherman is. Someone used Okung as an analogy. I think that's spot on- other than the obvious difference between the two- Okung did not have an obvious replacement and wasn't a small investment to acquire like Thurmond was. I think it's a good analogy though because teams will always give a lot of injury leeway to players with obvious talent.

But maybe Seattle drafts a stud CB in round 4 and/or 5 this year, and it looks like a really tight race for the last few CB spots next year. In a best case scenario (Seattle strikes it rich with two more corners in the 2013 draft), I could see Seattle very reluctantly parting ways with Thurmond, but I think it would take a lot to knock him off this roster, especially at a position where teams tend to carry so many that usually at least one of them is inactive every week anyway (teams can only have 45 active players).

JSeahawks

Reaction score
ensett":13x52xcf said:
Thurmond missed just as much time in college, too. To say hes made out of glass would actually be better than he really is.

This is not true.

Before his season ending injury as a senior he started 41 of 43 games, then the 4th game of his senior season he blew out his knee on a kick return and missed the rest of the season.

I'm with most of the others, there's no reason not to bring him to camp next season. Hopefully he can get his body right and stay healthy because I believe he's the 2nd best cornerback on our roster.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NYCoug":81zpr26j said:
It doesn't hurt to have him on the team in camp next season...

No, but it would probably hurt him.

All joking aside, it says something about Thurmond's talent that PC/JS have kept him around for this long through all the ridiculous DB churn. Hawkblogger, in a moment of hyperbole, called him "as good as Sherman" today. He's not that good, but it says something that he even draws those comparisons.

Thurmond could be one of the final turning points that leads to our epic 2013 season.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Don't think we really need Thurmond this week.. Lane should handle whatever Rams WR isn't named "Amendola" pretty well. We get Browner back for the WC game.. which is big.

Having Thurmond at 100% (or whatever 100% for him is) for a possible match-up with Atlanta would be awesome. Atlanta has the best WR's in the NFC right now by a long shot.. we will need our secondary for that one.

Latest posts