Tony Kornheiser - class act

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Tony Kornheiser - class act
Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:03 am

In case you missed it, the title of this post is ironic.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Re: Tony Kornheiser - class act
Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:05 am
  • In life you expect POS people to say POS things. No surprise.

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:07 am
  • Aros wrote:In life you expect POS people to say POS things. No surprise.

Yeah, I don't expect anything from the "worldwide leader".
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:09 am
  • I absolutely LOVE both Wilbon and Kornheiser. Best show on TV by a mile. Sometimes they say stupid things. Its their job to be entertaining and to make people pay attention and tune in. Classless and stupid statement? yes. Do i care? Nope.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:12 am
  • Totally uncalled for. You should never "joke" about wanting someone else injured.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:17 am
  • Kornhole is an idiot. I would love to see the Hawks smash his Redskins in the first round
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:17 am
  • That doesn't sound like something he would say. I need more proof.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:20 am
  • Someone should break Kornwholes jaw.. of course in response to the crap he spews.
    Bobblehead
    NET Starter

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:22 am
  • Never been a fan of these two. They couldn't care any less about Seattle. There was a game years ago where we were on Sunday Night Football, the next day I watched their show and when it came up to talk about Sunday Night Football, they both said they didn't watch it because there was better stuff on prime time television.

This is two people whose job it is to discuss sports, who chose not to watch the only national game of the day, to instead, watch some prime time television. Then talk about those shows on a sports talk program in lieu of talking about the game that actually took place.

Seahawks or anyone else, this is ridiculous and I've not wasted one minute on these two since that day.

As for the OP here, Assuming it's legit, that was a STUPID remark and shows his ignorance. Whether it was right or not to call that fake punt, you don't call for a player to get hurt because of it. This is a classless punk move, that should never have been said and shouldn't be tolerated.
    Last edited by kidhawk on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 am
  • Couple years ago when I was younger, loved PTI and had to watch it everyday. Now (given I actually know what goes on in games and create my own opinions) I fret even switching to it when on.

Wilbon when at the Wash Post was definitely a very good sports journalist, however ever since he's been on TV all I get is the impression that he thinks he's a celebrity right up there with "his boy" Magic Johnson. And anyone who ever dares to disagree with him is a baffoon. (Look at his feud with Dan Steinberg & Bram Weinstein earlier this year).
    As for TK, and I say this with all due respect to his career...just go home man. The only time I really hear of him anymore is when he makes outlandish remarks (Hannah Storm comment) and this may take the cake...Wow. Really Dude?

Anyways (not that I care what they do say) but this is baffling.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:32 am
  • What did Russell Wilson have to do with a fake punt?

Wishing harm on a player is bad enough, but wishing harm on a player that had nothing to do with a play or the decision to run it is just classless and stupid.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:33 am
  • I actually heard that bit on Kornheiser's radio program this morning here in DC. He had Michael Wilbon on the phone. I'm not sure that's how I heard that comment at all, though. They were talking about the last couple of weeks (the 4th down pass and the fake punt) and that Seattle should be careful or one of its players (Wilson might have been the example) is going to get targeted and hurt. I don't remember it as a "should" comment at all.

Incidentally, Wilbon RAVED about the Seahawks for about two minutes. It was kind of funny, because he said Carroll is the kind of coach that's insufferable when he has a powerhouse...and that Seattle was now a team that had EVERYTHING. And he went down and listed all the parts (defense, QB, young WRs, running game). Then, he talked about how Harbaugh and Carroll are both big characters, and that that's probably good for the NFL. He can't wait for the SNF game.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:39 am
  • ^.....Well that makes a little more sense. (I still think their way 'round the bend though)
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:43 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Image

In case you missed it, the title of this post is ironic.

If he actually said that...he is an ASS! :death2:

(Actually...your title is sarcastic. Ironic would be my avatar that is actually a campaign pin for Woodrow Wilson.)
    "Make good teams look bad and make bad teams look terrible!" -Michael Robinson
    BlueTalons
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:46 am
  • Yes, I agree, more sarcasm than irony in the title. Still a giant douche. Can't say you wouldn't see half the nation screaming if he'd said this regarding RGIII and his injury.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:55 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Yes, I agree, more sarcasm than irony in the title. Still a giant douche. Can't say you wouldn't see half the nation screaming if he'd said this regarding RGIII and his injury.

Well apparently, according to somebody who heard it, he didnt even say it but is being misquoted.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 am
  • His actual quote was something along the lines of:

"You know how you get back at a guy like Pete Carroll? You take Wilson out of the game. You don't run for 3 TDs if his leg is broken."
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:08 am
  • Its not just because of this bone headed comment do I not listen to the guy. Its generally because he is kind of an annoying character with a bitchy voice. I just hate watching guys all giddy when the cameras are rolling. But in saying that I hope he gets tea-bagged by an african bull elephant.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:09 am
  • Wow.

ESPN should be embarrassed. They should make him apologize for saying something like that. I get it's all about ratings and what not that but that is crossing a line and completely unprofessional
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:10 am
  • I wonder what would happen if he said that about Tom Brady and the Patriots. I'm only guessing, but I bet it would garner much more negative attention for Kornheiser. Typical East Coast Elitists...When one of the teams out East runs up the score in a game, it's GREAT offense. When a West Coast team does it to an East Coast team, it's poor sportsmanship. I am definitely looking forward to the Seahawks becoming ESPN's most hated team.

This all started when the Seahawks hired Pete Carroll. Pete was already hated in the East for beating every team the East put in front of him. Now, he's doing the same thing in the NFL for a West coast team. Had Pete and John done what they are doing in Seattle for the Jets, John would be the most talked about for executive of the year. Pete would definitely be the most talked about for COY and Russell Wilson would be RUNNING AWAY with ROY talk.

Oh well. I'm loving it.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:23 am
  • Navyhawkfan187 wrote:His actual quote was something along the lines of:

"You know how you get back at a guy like Pete Carroll? You take Wilson out of the game. You don't run for 3 TDs if his leg is broken."

Yea, 'cause that's classier. Any doubt whether he'd have some serious apologies to give, and probably be either suspended from his job or let go if he'd said, "You know how you lessen RGIII's chances for OROY? You take him out of the game. He can't put up good numbers if he's out for the season with a torn ACL."
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:27 am
  • Kornheiser's just jealous cause the tide's starting to turn on his beloved RG3's hype machine, as more people are now talking about Wilson.

Between him peeing all over Washington Sports, and Wilbon honking all over Chicago sports.....I have no idea why anyone watches PTI. It's basically like watching your two grandpas argue over why they lowered the mound in 1969.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 am
  • rideaducati wrote:Had Pete and John done what they are doing in Seattle for the Jets, John would be the most talked about for executive of the year. Pete would definitely be the most talked about for COY and Russell Wilson would be RUNNING AWAY with ROY talk.

I've said this many many times. That is a fact without doubt.
    I know kornheiser doesn't call games, but man would i like to see a Russell Wilson/Kornhole incident ala Deion Sanders/Tim McCarver post game locker room bucket shower(s).

Absolutely douche the douche.

Of course Russell would have too much class.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:37 am
  • http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8756473

If anyone wants to hear what he has to say (can't recommend it, but saw this link and thought I'd share for context here). Seahawk starts about 3:00 in

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:44 am
  • kidhawk wrote:http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8756473

If anyone wants to hear what he has to say (can't recommend it, but saw this link and thought I'd share for context here). Seahawk starts about 3:00 in

I didn't know they had a similar conversation on PTI. The conversation on Kornheiser's local radio program actually had a much longer segment on the Seahawks. Wilbon LOVES Wilson ever since seeing him beat his Bears, so one dimension of Kornheiser's comment is actually throwing that love affair back at Wilbon.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:51 am
  • Jac wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8756473

I didn't know they had a similar conversation on PTI. The conversation on Kornheiser's local radio program actually had a much longer segment on the Seahawks. Wilbon LOVES Wilson ever since seeing him beat his Bears, so one dimension of Kornheiser's comment is actually throwing that love affair back at Wilbon.

So he actually used the Wilson broken leg example TWICE? I can almost (still not quite, but almost) understand if it were just him saying it off the cuff and not having time to consider the words, but if he actually said it once, then repeated it again, there is no excuse for it at all.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:57 am
  • Wow....stay classy Tony.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:09 pm
  • If Kornheiser gets hit in the mouth by a stray baseball (or some other projectile), and it breaks his jaw, I'll consider it poetic justice.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:11 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Jac wrote:

So he actually used the Wilson broken leg example TWICE? I can almost (still not quite, but almost) understand if it were just him saying it off the cuff and not having time to consider the words, but if he actually said it once, then repeated it again, there is no excuse for it at all.

No, that's why I was a little wishy-washy in my first post (i.e., when I said I don't remember it being said quite like that). The Twitter post is clearly referencing that PTI bit, not the radio conversation this morning. On the radio, I don't think Wilson was even specifically called out in the context of that conversation. It was more along the lines that Carroll needs to be careful with that kind of stuff or his players are eventually going to get targeted. The main thrust of the radio program was Wilbon gushing about the Seahawks.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:13 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8756473

Thanks for the proof. Just one more show on ESPN I won't watch again. I'm down to only watching E60, 30 for 30, Outside The Lines, College Football Live, and games. ESPN has really gone down hill.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:32 pm
  • He didn't say someone SHOULD break Wilsons leg. He said running up the score may cause a player to BREAK Wilsons leg.

Wowee Hawks fans are a touchy and insecure bunch.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:33 pm
  • Wow what an effin joke. A classless pos, I've never watched PTI, and I never will now.
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:39 pm
  • For real - are we as fans THIS delusional? He said some coach MAY order hurt Wilson. Kinda like Forrest Gregg did to Jim McMahon while coaching the Packers (I'm adding real life context for those who OBVIOUSLY haven't watched football long enough to understand his statement).

Reactions like this, to what is a real topic and discussion point, will forever keep Seattle a second-rate, chicken little, insecure, laughable sports town. Wow, pathetic, for real.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:42 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Jac wrote:

Jac wrote:
    No, that's why I was a little wishy-washy in my first post (i.e., when I said I don't remember it being said quite like that). The Twitter post is clearly referencing that PTI bit, not the radio conversation this morning. On the radio, I don't think Wilson was even specifically called out in the context of that conversation. It was more along the lines that Carroll needs to be careful with that kind of stuff or his players are eventually going to get targeted. The main thrust of the radio program was Wilbon gushing about the Seahawks.

Thanks for the clarification.

I still say that talking about having any player purposely targeted is pretty classless on his part. He may not be literally calling for someone to break his leg, but he's talking about it as if it's the norm and SHOULD be expected. This sort of thing (intentionally attempting a major injury to a player) should not be either accepted nor should it be talked about as the "norm". Kornheiser really should think before he speaks.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:54 pm
  • This is embarrassing, truly.

So, now we went from making up a statement on Kornheiser's behalf to make us all feel insecure, to understanding the actual statement and chastising a person for his speech. Chastising him for his speech, even though the idea of "retaliation" for such scenarios is as old as sports. And, probably occurred as recent as the World Series.

Maybe all of you should draft a letter and tell the PTI guys what and how to speak about our Seahawks so they dont hurt your feelings. Or, just start watching Dancing With the Stars, because obviously we dont understand sports as a fanbase.

Kriminee - what a whiny bunch of fans we are. "Waaaahhh, waaaahhh"
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:55 pm
  • I used to listen to Kornheiser on the road when they were just on the radio. I've always thought he was a complete idiot and couldn't imagine anyone listening to him.

Wilborn who used to be a decent sports reporter and Tony baby have become TV hacks and are only worried about promoting themselves rather than what got them there.

Agree that any sportscaster that suggests someone hurt one of our players should be pulled off the air immediately.

Has no one else heard about what happened in NO this year?

:141847_bnono:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:58 pm
  • you guys need to chill out! lol and stop being so butt hurt about the media. who cares? you cant control what others are going to say... :les:
    blue 22
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:01 pm
  • blue 22 wrote:no kidding... you guys need to chill out and stop being so butt hurt about the media. who cares? you cant control what others are going to say... y'all stop whining! :les:

They're whining over a comment NEVER SAID! That's the part that gets me. It's amazing! It makes me think there's something to this cities and sports teams not being taken seriously.

What a bunch of menopausal women we are as a fanbase.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:01 pm
  • I think pretty much any fan base would react like this. It's a lousy thing to say and in poor taste. He didn't say "someone should break his leg" but its just a road that no one needs to go down, its bad form.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:03 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:I think pretty much any fan base would react like this. It's a lousy thing to say and in poor taste. He didn't say "someone should break his leg" but its just a road that no one needs to go down, its bad form.

He was insinuating that someone may retaliate. I doubt it would ever occur, and its a reach to assume it could happen in todays NFL, but they're job is to discuss sports, its a legit angle to take. And, it occurs in EVERY other sport.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    blue 22 wrote:no kidding... you guys need to chill out and stop being so butt hurt about the media. who cares? you cant control what others are going to say... y'all stop whining! :les:

They're whining over a comment NEVER SAID! That's the part that gets me. It's amazing! It makes me think there's something to this cities and sports teams not being taken seriously.

What a bunch of menopausal women we are as a fanbase.

Completely agree. Its a shame you cant see the greatness in LaMichael, otherwise you're a pretty smart dude, sometimes.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:18 pm
  • I think he was great in his KR role. I think that's his future. He's Eric Metcalf, if Metcalf was a pro athlete since 18, like LaMichael.

The show's also to entertain. The topic was "is Carroll running up the score?". Kornheiser and Wilbons job is to discuss that topic, cause and effect, and make it relevant and entertaining to fans who DONT care about the Seahawks as well.

In the 70's, this type of retaliation would be a REAL and LEGIT threat to running up the score. It was part of the game. Before Goodell. The same Goodell drawing criticism for pussifying the game. Hmmm....
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:21 pm
  • Aw Pe. You truly are our Rock during turbulent times. A calmer of raging seas. An anchor for reason.

Thus i'd like to retract my whole bucket shower idea and settle for golden ones instead.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:29 pm
  • If you watch or listen to the idiot then you have coming exactly what you deserve....More Bullshit.
    Last edited by Largent80 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:29 pm
  • 400WattHPSHawk wrote:Aw Pe. You truly are our Rock during turbulent times. A calmer of raging seas. An anchor for reason.

Thus i'd like to retract my whole bucket shower idea and settle for golden ones instead.

If I become the voice of reason, calming influence and/or a voice of reason we're screwed.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:35 pm
  • this coming from a guy who is afraid to fly. read the espn biography to see how big of a pussy this clown-haired asshole is.
    Slick
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:35 pm
  • 52 seconds in is WHAT Kornheiser feared. I remember watching this when I was a kid. Thought I'd provide it since none of you grew up watching football.

@ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:03 pm
  • kornheiser's shctick is old, tired. MNF is still reeling from his stint while there. I fully understand the value of shock entertainment, it sells (see Howard Stern) but kornheiser constantly misses the mark. More appropriate would have been (if he said any of this at all); You know how you retataliate against Pete Carroll? The next punting situation, you break his punter's leg.

That would have made more sense, achieved the same level of shock and awe, while not damaging the show's, or network's credibility for going after RW, one of the great stories and yong men of this league. Perhaps Goodel should see this as another example of bounty-gate. No name player, about to be cut, breaks Wilson's leg and achieves instant media / notoriety.

Of course I am being facitious but ESPN needs to give the dude a talking to. I'll say it again, RW is what is right about this league, you don't target him with such adolescent BS.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:10 pm
  • Navyhawkfan187 wrote:His actual quote was something along the lines of:

That pretty much says he endorses breaking RW leg.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:15 pm
  • v1rotv2 wrote:
    Navyhawkfan187 wrote:That pretty much says he endorses breaking RW leg.

Sure sounds like it to me. Never liked the guy
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:03 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information