Matt Flynn...

skater18000

Reaction score
For those who said that flynn was only worth a 4th round pick at best, please tell me that this offseason we're not getting better than a 4th round pick now after how he played.

Great throw to Jermaine Kearse on 4th and 23 on Arizona's 25 yard line (dropped)

4th and 20, he makes a great throw for the first down to Sidney rice (penalty for the Hit on Sidney Rice gave him the extra yardage needed for the 1st down)

Also from memory, he made a nice play by throwing a db off him and making nice throw.

5 for 9, 55.6 completion percentage, 68 yards, 7.56 ypa, 27 long, 79.9 QB rating

Stats are skewed by a few drops and limited opportunities but not a bad preformance

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Stats be damned, the guy looked good. But temper it with the knowledge that the Cards D had basically quit by the time he got in th game. That said, I do believe he would have a chance to help us win if he was needed.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Missed an easy TD throw...but I am in complete agreement with you. We'd be stupid to let him go for a 4th. Stupid.

sturg78

Reaction score
I feel very good with him as a back up. I think he could pull a game or two out in place of Russ...in garbage time of coarse, not injury.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I didn't think Flynn really showed a whole lot, "almost" plays against a completely defeated team is not going to get us an early round pick.

bingotown

Reaction score
Really? Seriously? I was a Flynn supporter at the beginning of the season. I didn't think Wilson wold develop into an NFL caliber QB this season. I learned something that apparently you didn't. A QB needs time to develop. Judging him by his performance in a quarter and a half of waste time with back ups is purely asinine.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
bingotown":eteu4ee7 said:
Really? Seriously? I was a Flynn supporter at the beginning of the season. I didn't think Wilson wold develop into an NFL caliber QB this season. I learned something that apparently you didn't. A QB needs time to develop. Judging him by his performance in a quarter and a half of waste time with back ups is purely asinine.

You're joking right... must not have watch Matt Flynn vs the lions and @ patriots... he showed me what i've already seen...

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
He played garbage time in a 58-0 beat down.

I'm one of those people who thinks we'll do well to get more than a 4th rounder for him. There was barely any interest when he was available as a free agent, his old coach was lukewarm at best about signing him and the only other interested party was Seattle. He's since not won the job here. And while some new teams have emerged needing a quarterback this season, there's hardly a laundry list of obvious suitors. Try selling Matt Flynn as the answer to the fans and owners in Kansas City or New York.

And he'll be 28 years old at the start of next season too. It's not old, but it's likely too old to give up significant draft stock for a physically unspectacular career backup.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2h5iu0bp said:

I'm one of those people who thinks we'll do well to get more than a 4th rounder for him. There was barely any interest when he was available as a free agent, his old coach was lukewarm at best about signing him and the only other interested party was Seattle. He's since not won the job here. And while some new teams have emerged needing a quarterback this season, there's hardly a laundry list of obvious suitors. Try selling Matt Flynn as the answer to the fans and owners in Kansas City or New York.

And he'll be 28 years old at the start of next season too. It's not old, but it's likely too old to give up significant draft stock for a physically unspectacular career backup.

Why? Just why? Is that 4th rounder so coveted that we trade our back up plan? I'm not saying that you want to trade him English, trust me I want to believe you are smarter then that and I think you are. Flynn doesn't make that much and if you combine what he and RW3 makes its peanuts compared to what other starters make. Why are some people so hell bent on trading him? Screw the god damn 3rd at best and more likely 4th or worst, I want a capable back up. My god!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2hldrkys said:

The reason he didn't get other suitors is because their were only 6 QB needy teams (Colts, Redskins, Dolphins, Browns, Broncos, and the Seahawks of course) so all the teams had their eyes on better quarterbacks than Flynn (except for maybe Brandon Weeden) so... this year the quarterbacks out their shouldn't be as good... probably 3 first round quarterbacks and maybe a few later guys (Landry Jones and Aaron Murray) and Matt Flynn is better than any of the free agents (besides Joe Flacco) So... a 2nd round pick for the 3rd or 4th best available quarterback... other teams will agree...

run and shoot

Reaction score
Trade him because it's the right thing to do. The guy wants to be a starter in the NFL and if you can get a decent trade for him and give him his opportunity to start then let him go. If he wants to stay and is content being the backup then so be it.
I personally don't feel there will be much trade value for him though, just like when he walked in the door here, he has done nothing to separate himself from the crowd since arriving other then his ability to call tails.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
SEC FAN":rgjk26yo said:
theENGLISHseahawk":rgjk26yo said:

Why? Just why? Is that 4th rounder so coveted that we trade our back up plan? I'm not saying that you want to trade him English, trust me I want to believe you are smarter then that and I think you are. Flynn doesn't make that much and if you combine what he and RW3 makes its peanuts compared to what other starters make. Why are some people so hell bent on trading him? Screw the god damn 3rd at best and more likely 4th or worst, I want a capable back up. My god!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he was just commenting on a hypothetical someone else brought up...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SEC FAN":9py8vq56 said:

You're making too much sense SEC, everybody knows that we could find a good or a so so backup in the 7th round, or maybe even trade for another backup away from say,eh, the Arizona Tards QB pool or somebodys cast off around the League somewhere.
Good QB's are a dime a dozen.

pinksheets

Reaction score
skater18000":33ujbmkg said:
theENGLISHseahawk":33ujbmkg said:

The reason he didn't get other suitors is because their were only 6 QB needy teams (Colts, Redskins, Dolphins, Browns, Broncos, and the Seahawks of course) so all the teams had their eyes on better quarterbacks than Flynn (except for maybe Brandon Weeden) so... this year the quarterbacks out their shouldn't be as good... probably 3 first round quarterbacks and maybe a few later guys (Landry Jones and Aaron Murray) and Matt Flynn is better than any of the free agents (besides Joe Flacco) So... a 2nd round pick for the 3rd or 4th best available quarterback... other teams will agree...
That's a dream. Nobody is giving a 2nd for Flynn. He's not going from zero market to early pick worthy because of this game, which wasn't notable, when had 2 crazy stat starts. Doesn't make sense.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
pinksheets":1yohavki said:
skater18000":1yohavki said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1yohavki said:

That's a dream. Nobody is giving a 2nd for Flynn. He's not going from zero market to early pick worthy because of this game, which wasn't notable, when had 2 crazy stat starts. Doesn't make sense.

We'll see...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
run and shoot":1lja1ee3 said:
Trade him because it's the right thing to do. The guy wants to be a starter in the NFL and if you can get a decent trade for him and give him his opportunity to start then let him go. If he wants to stay and is content being the backup then so be it.
I personally don't feel there will be much trade value for him though, just like when he walked in the door here, he has done nothing to separate himself from the crowd since arriving other then his ability to call tails.
Call a coin toss, AND, beat out Tarvaris Jackson, whome everyone thought would be a GREAT--BACK-UP eh?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
SEC FAN":2e2ihi49 said:

I made no reference to whether I'd trade him for a fourth rounder. I said I couldn't see a team offering much more than that.

skater18000":2e2ihi49 said:

This seems incredibly wishful. I expect three quarterbacks to go in round one of the draft as things stand today (Matt Barkley, Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson) and there's another QB out there that not many people are talking about who could get into the mix (David Fales at San Jose State). Plus, there are other logical options who could go in round two or three (Aaron Murray, Mike Glennon and Landry Jones). So really, while there's no Andrew Luck or RGIII in this class, there are still plenty of options.

I'm not sure who these teams are you think might be willing to trade a second rounder. Kansas City's second rounder is going to be the #33 or #34 overall pick. They are not trading that for Matt Flynn. They are also unlikely to go for a 28-year-old career backup after years of 'getting by' at QB. Buffalo have just wasted a lot of money on Ryan Fitzpatrick - a player not completely unlike Flynn. The New York Jets have millions tied into Sanchez and good luck selling Matt Flynn as the answer to that fan base. Jacksonville's owner appears to like flashy statement-type moves. I see him trading for Tebow (ticket sales) before Flynn. Philly might as well go with Foles. Arizona and Seattle aren't going to do this trade as division rivals.

So who's trading a second rounder for Flynn?

razgriz737

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see him go, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay, honestly. But, whatever happens, in PC/JS I trust.

Latest posts