Thurmond 3 > Browner

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Thurmond 3 > Browner
Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:17 pm
  • I know the Arizona QB's are garbage but I truely believe that if Thurmond stays healthy, which unfortunably is a big if, then Browner will not be a starting CB in Seattle again. The kid has always just been a playmaker going back to his days at UO.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Thurmond 3 > Browner
Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:18 pm
  • Yeah but Thurmond cant be counted on to stay healthy.

And Browner is a play making machine as well. And a very tough SOB.
    VancitySeahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:19 pm
  • Your Duck homerism is showing through J. There was no pressure on our DBs or anyone else on our defense after the middle of the 2nd quarter today. We'll see how it plays out over the next 3 games. It would be nice if he played really well though. I certainly believe it's possible.
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:19 pm
  • We were hearing trade rumblings involving Browner before the trade deadline... Maybe they pull the trigger during the off season.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:20 pm
  • He had a great game and hey may be better, but he needs to be tested more then what happened today. Browner is a fire tested play making beast machine. WT3 will be amazing in the slot though.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:20 pm
  • rideaducati wrote:We were hearing trade rumblings involving Browner before the trade deadline... Maybe they pull the trigger during the off season.

I didnt hear anything like this at all
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:21 pm
  • cant wait to see all 3 of them (wt3 on the slot guys) on the field. opposing qb's, pick your poison.
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

• Thurmond is good, but do you put a crystal glass on a contruction sight and expect it not to get broken at some point. I think he has the skills but not the health to be a everydown CB at this point. Slot guy is a whole different story though in place of Tru after this season.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I think they are comparable. He will become our #1 if anything happens to Sherm.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:22 pm
  • Brandon Browner us a beast and a playmaker. His play against Cam Newton was phenomenal. I like Thurmond but he's not in BB territory just yet.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:24 pm
  • Great topic. I feel that no matter what happens, Pete Carroll will get Browner on the field. Browner would be an all-universe nickle CB, and I'm pretty sure he'd make a mean SS. At times he's looked like a terrific linebacker. This is a good problem to have.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:27 pm
  • kearly wrote:Great topic. I feel that no matter what happens, Pete Carroll will get Browner on the field. Browner would be an all-universe nickle CB, and I'm pretty sure he'd make a mean SS. At times he's looked like a terrific linebacker. This is a good problem to have.

I definatly agree. There's definatly still a place on the team for Browner and a place on the field for him. But going forward I would love to see a healthy Thurmond and Sherman at the corners.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:27 pm
  • I like Tru, but when you are blessed with a bounty of riches you have to go youth for longetivity of dominance.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:28 pm
  • I dont know about that uet but he did have a whale of a game today. Lets see if he can stay healthy for us too.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Love, love having 3 solid NFL corners. Don't let any of them get out of Seattle until they can't play anymore. I don't care who starts, just want to have the most feared DB's in the NFL. Now get another stud DE and DT and get out of the way because our D would be unstoppable.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• browner can tackle... thurmond miss a few today

maybe its rust but i wouldnt jump on the thurmond bandwagon jus yet
    kendog2639
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:29 pm
  • Lol I knew I'd see this if he played well.

Seriously, you keep Browner. He's a physical freak, and he really intimidates WRs. Look at his hits on guys like Welker, his play in run support. He's also bigger and way more durable than Thurmond.

I'm beyond stoked to see Browner, Sherman and Thurmond on the field at the same time. Wow.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:36 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:Lol I knew I'd see this if he played well.

Seriously, you keep Browner. He's a physical freak, and he really intimidates WRs. Look at his hits on guys like Welker, his play in run support. He's also bigger and way more durable than Thurmond.

I'm beyond stoked to see Browner, Sherman and Thurmond on the field at the same time. Wow.

I definatly was not saying get rid of Browner. Just saying that Thurmond is a better pure cover corner.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:38 pm
  • As an Oregon fan, I am also way rooting for WT3. Fragile legs unfortunately. He had a nice game. Several times he was shadowing the reciever and his tip kept that ball alive for the Wagner pick.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:42 pm
  • I really don't see anyone going anywhere. Talented depth is a good thing to have.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:42 pm
  • If we indeed have 3 quality starting corners we are very lucky. Who starts or gets most of the reps I suspect would depend on the opposition
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:44 pm
  • Browners going nowhere, at least not within this division. Thurmond played well today nothing against him, but this talk about trading off a pro bowl caliber CB is just herecy.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:48 pm
  • They both have their advantages.

Personally, I prefer Browner's ability to help with the run. Thurmond seems like a better blitzer and can cover the slot better than Sherman or Browner. I'd say going forward (next year I guess) we'd see 1. Sherman 2a. Browner 2b. Thurmond, depending on the matchups.
    BillHawks
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:51 pm
  • Ack ! I meant keep Browner as the starter outside !

Seriously, I don't see Browner's skillset at covering smaller, quicker slot receivers. He's better outside.

I'm curious about how good Thurmond could be if he could stay healthy. It's like the curiosity about how good Flynn would've been if he had been named starter.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:00 pm
  • I think one thing fans forgot, was that as a rookie WTIII held Fitz to 1 catch. He has been solid vs him throughout his career.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:37 pm
  • Should be a fun battle in training camp next year, that's for sure.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:56 pm
  • Hmm. We have a kid that goes to the Pro Bowl his first real season in the league, has become a huge part of our identity as a defense and as a team, and we're going to bench him for a player that has played like 6 games? Only in Seattle.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:02 pm
  • rideaducati wrote:We were hearing trade rumblings involving Browner before the trade deadline... Maybe they pull the trigger during the off season.

thats completely false .

Browner is a beast . when his suspension ends he will start at corner at WT3 will be the nickle.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:36 pm
  • Just play more Nickel, can get both of them on the field more and interchange depending on the type of receiver lining up against...also gets our "Speed" Line in more. Win Win
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:39 pm
  • Why do we have so much talent? Why?
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:28 pm
  • I have a few thoughts on this that I'll weigh in with ...

1) First of all, the very fact that we're even having this debate at all ... is a VERY good thing. It shows that PC and JS have assembled excellent depth at the position.

2) Thurmond is an extremely talented CB. That's an understatement actually. Before he got hurt early in his Senior Year, Thurmond was being talked about as a Jim Thorpe Candidate (given to the best CB in the country). He was without a doubt one of the very best cover corners in the country. Despite missing the final 9 games of his Senior Year, he still ranks 4th at the U of Oregon for Passes Defensed (37). Prior to blowing out his knee, he was being talked about as being a 2nd Round Draft choice (and could have even snuck in to the low 1st Round). So he is a very talented cover CB and a guy who could start, no doubt.

3) When you're talking about Thurmond, you've got to factor in his injury history. Now, former Seahawks Terry Wooden and Joey Galloway had knee injuries during their college career ... and went on to have good productive Seahawk careers. Hopefully that will be the case with Thurmond, but you never know.

4) IMO, Walter Thurmond (if he can show he can stay healthy) is our starting 3rd CB, covering guys in the slot. I posted this a couple of weeks ago, but it bears mentioning again -- Marcus Trufant prior to him getting hurt had a Burned Rate of 72.4%. That is the 2nd worst of any 3rd CB in all of football. I love Marcus and respect the heck out of what he has accomplished as a Seahawk. BUT, he is a shot fighter IMO. I believe this is it for Trufant.

5) As far as Browner is concerned, his skillset just doesn't translate well to the Nickel Corner Spot IMO. His game is all predicated on physicality -- beating WR's up within the first 5 yards, knocking guys off their route, and messing up the timing of plays. He doesn't have the quickness to keep up with speedy slot receivers (he runs a 4.6 vs. Thurmond who runs closer to a 4.45) -- Thurmond does. Browner is the perfect guy to match up with the big, strong WR's on the outside. IMO it's just not going to work to move Browner inside.

Again, love the fact that this is even a topic for debate. That's a great sign for this team.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:33 pm
  • That guy is Browner? I thought for sure it was Donovan Mcnabb . huh.. who knew?
    djb28
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:33 pm
  • Nah Nah Nah we will keep both these guys it is great the depth we have.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am
  • That would suck, Browner and Sherm are my favorite Hawks right now. (and yeah I know PED's, but honestly I couldn't care less, everyone does it and has for 30 years in one form or another. It's part of professional performance and always will be going forward).
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:27 am
  • Don't forget Byron Maxwell who was in the hip pocket of every WR he covered today, and Jeremy Lane who is an excellent gunner and showed well today at CB.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:27 am
  • Hawkscanner wrote:

4) IMO, Walter Thurmond (if he can show he can stay healthy) is our starting 3rd CB, covering guys in the slot. I posted this a couple of weeks ago, but it bears mentioning again -- Marcus Trufant prior to him getting hurt had a Burned Rate of 72.4%. That is the 2nd worst of any 3rd CB in all of football. I love Marcus and respect the heck out of what he has accomplished as a Seahawk. BUT, he is a shot fighter IMO. I believe this is it for Trufant.

This is it right here. Trufant just can't cover slot receivers, but Thurmond with his quicks can. The slot receiver is how we got beat this year and had WTIII been available for the first AZ game, vs Detroit, and vs Miami, those would be 3 wins. Simple as that.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:47 am
  • Would love to see Browner and Sherman then Thurmond at nickel.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:25 am
  • I don't get it. I thought Thurmond looked like a good corner technician yesterday. And yes, as a technician, Browner has some defects. If Earl Bennet could catch, Browner might be the goat of the Chicago game. But Browner makes receivers hear steps, we have seen it all year, guys short arming catches, because they know the punisher is lurking. Even thick running backs have to keep their eyes peeled going around the left corner. League wide, how many corners create that effect? And, as Browner gets older, he might make a hell of a safety or a man cover guy for these pass catching freak tight ends too.

But there is one valid point behind everything J is saying. After 2013, we will have to make hard money decisions. If Thurmond is that good, and we know Sherman is extension worthy right now, and Browner is going to want some pro-bowl wallet stuffing, and Kam, and Earl...We are not going to keep them all.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:33 am
  • Browner > Thurmond

Thurmond will be our nickel. You just can't replace a 6 '4 corner who man handles big receivers, who can actually tackel, and has speed as well. Thurmond will be great in the nickel but from what "I" saw yesterday he did nothing to take Browners place. Trufant yes but not BB.
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:38 am
  • Schadie001 wrote:Browner > Thurmond

Thurmond will be our nickel. You just can't replace a 6 '4 corner who man handles big receivers, who can actually tackel, and has speed as well. Thurmond will be great in the nickel but from what "I" saw yesterday he did nothing to take Browners place. Trufant yes but not BB.

I don't agree with J, but I don't agree with this either. Browner is unique and offers something different, but I can't say he is better. Danny Amendola ties him in knots, he certainly has a player type he struggles with, just like I could see a big receiver being able to push Thurmond around. But Browner does fit the street fight approach better.

Anyone remember the game saving play Browner made to slow play Cam Newton, then take the ball away from the back? That is beyond cornerback skillset, that is just ballin. And it is of value.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:52 am
  • Shocker J thinks a duck is great.

Browner brings an attitude and physicality that Thurmond could never bring. He is a top ten CB. One game against back up arena league QBs and Thurmond is better???
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:58 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information