Seahawks almost missed the playoffs?

lukerguy

Reaction score
Has anyone else considered that if Zurlein had made the 44 yard FG which he pushed less than 1 foot wide, the Seahawks wouldn't have made the playoffs? I know it's digging into a bag of "what-iffs", but it's a crazy thought considering they almost won the division week 17 by an inch.

Hawks were 11-5
Rams were 9-7

Rams win flips the records both to 10-6, and Rams win the tie breaker going 2-0 vs SEA. Nuts.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1t6xl9o1 said:
Yep, but they didn't.

Thanks, genius. The exercise was to ask if anyone considered this given how the Seahawks finished.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
We've been both "lucky" as well as "unlucky" all year long. Teams are all pretty even so that on "any given Sunday...…."

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Something tells me the end of the season wouldn’t have been a giveaway. Once the hawks were in the playoffs, Pete was satisfied. Some of his decisions tend to point it he wanting #5 or 6 vs the bye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Torc

Reaction score
Has anyone else considered that if Jason Meyers hadn't missed a field goal earlier in the game then the Rams wouldn't even have been in position to attempt a last second field goal for the win? And we wouldn't have all the narrative about that game being about the last second instead of the preceding 59 minutes?

Tamerlane

Reaction score
Torc":1eshyc1q said:
Has anyone else considered that if Jason Meyers hadn't missed a field goal earlier in the game then the Rams wouldn't even have been in position to attempt a last second field goal for the win? And we wouldn't have all the narrative about that game being about the last second instead of the preceding 59 minutes?

This is exactly why I laugh every time Zurlein's miss from almost the exact same distance is brought up constantly.

We were closer to getting #1 seed than missing the playoffs. Almosts mean nothing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lukerguy":26jbgdff said:
jammerhawk":26jbgdff said:
Yep, but they didn't.

Thanks, genius. The exercise was to ask if anyone considered this given how the Seahawks finished.

Yes and if Hollister gets six more inches we're the NFC Champs............and if Chase McLaughlin makes the kick in SF, we lose that game..................on and on. I could probably give you 2-3 swing plays in every game.

Welcome to the NFL, every game matters.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3slhfwif said:
lukerguy":3slhfwif said:
jammerhawk":3slhfwif said:
Yep, but they didn't.

Yes and if Hollister gets six more inches we're the NFC Champs............and if Chase McLaughlin makes the kick in SF, we lose that game..................on and on. I could probably give you 2-3 swing plays in every game.

Welcome to the NFL, every game matters.

Absolutely. You could open a bag of twenty "What Ifs" throughout the season.. This one is a little different to me because
- It's a 2 game swing against the next closest team to making the playoffs
- It as a single event at the end of the game which would dictate the result of the game

Even if the Hawks lost any of their other close games, they'd still have the record over LA. You can not point to one other single play that absolutely would have changed the outcome of the season.

The Seahawks were not winding down at the end of the year- they had the #1 seed and home-field advantage to play for.

knownone

Reaction score
There is a similar what if game for last season. If the Rams don't convert on 4th down in the first game and Wilson completes the pass to Baldwin on the final drive of the second game, then Seattle not only wins the division, they would also be the #2 seed.

cymatica

Reaction score
What if Wentz didn't get knocked out of the game? The Eagles would have won and had a clear path to the SB

Sincerely,
Every Eagles Fan

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
cymatica":md8hdhtg said:
What if Wentz didn't get knocked out of the game? The Eagles would have won and had a clear path to the SB

Sincerely,
Every Eagles Fan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, especially after that amazing performance and 5 turnovers for the Eagles last time, WITH Wentz :lol:

sdog1981

Reaction score
What if the Seahawks did not lose their top two running backs? The "what if" game can be played forever.

morgulon1

Reaction score
lukerguy":1ksoo0zo said:
jammerhawk":1ksoo0zo said:
Yep, but they didn't.

No it proves the point that luck is a big part of a teams success or a teams failure

MrThortan

Reaction score
One tip away from the best day in Seahawks' history...

sutz

Reaction score
The harder they work, the luckier they get. :les:

minormillikin

Reaction score
If Rams made the FG and won, everything after that is different and we have no idea how the rest of the season would have gone.

Things would be different, like:
I'm pretty sure coaches/players would have actually spent an entire minute planning for Cards game if playoffs were hanging in the balance.