Marshawn"s role for Packers game

Keyhawk

Reaction score
They used him in both the running and passing game today. Seems like he is relishing his reunion with the team. With two games in the books, do we see more of him next week?

mistaowen

Reaction score
I would hope so, Homer is not meant to be a guy getting 15 runs up the middle. Get him in space, occasional off tackle/pitch. This offense needs a guy who can read the blocks, make one cut and go for 6 yards, and drag people forward.

chris98251

Reaction score
Against Rodgers, Pete does not want a shoot out, he wants to eat clock, does not want Taller Russell Wilson to have a chance to win it. I expect run and run some more if we can. Homer, Lynch whomever can get yards,

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":2jldqdc2 said:
Against Rodgers, Pete does not want a shoot out, he wants to eat clock, does not want Taller Russell Wilson to have a chance to win it. I expect run and run some more if we can. Homer, Lynch whomever can get yards,

The question is how long will he wait while the run is not working till he gives the reins back to Wilson?

kf3339

Reaction score
I think they have managed his workload pretty well these first two games. He seems best as the short yardage back and receiving out of the backfield. I would keep him in those roles going forward. I'm not sure how good their run defense is but we will find out soon enough. The Niners had no problem with them, so there is that........

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":1stoayuy said:
chris98251":1stoayuy said:

The question is how long will he wait while the run is not working till he gives the reins back to Wilson?

Question is if the run works and they go heavy and win will people be happy.

sutz

Reaction score
Not sure where the Pack run D is rated, but PHilly was #3 and played like it this time. Their interior DLine is pretty solid.

I don't see why Marshawn's role could not continue to increase going forward. We'll have a normal week of practice, so more can be worked in.

I'm usually a :179417: kinda guy, but the game at Lambeau will be more difficult. I think we could pull it off, but not easily (is it ever?).

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":n51nr966 said:
John63":n51nr966 said:
chris98251":n51nr966 said:

Question is if the run works and they go heavy and win will people be happy.

That's a big if.

First on want to win. That is my main reason for wanting to run the tempo changing, layered route quick passing game. I think it gives us the best chance to win. I dont care if we run more out of it. I just want to run that offense, it works.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Since it’s a Marshawn thread I noticed he was off the bench and into the end zone to congratulate Metcalf. I love the little intangible he’s brought to the locker room.

John63

Reaction score
sutz":284411x1 said:
Not sure where the Pack run D is rated, but PHilly was #3 and played like it this time. Their interior DLine is pretty solid.

I don't see why Marshawn's role could not continue to increase going forward. We'll have a normal week of practice, so more can be worked in.

I'm usually a :179417: kinda guy, but the game at Lambeau will be more difficult. I think we could pull it off, but not easily (is it ever?).

GB is middle of the ride in both run and pass yards. However 9th in scoring defense.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I'm fine with Homer as long as he is not going to be continually used on runs up the middle like he was today, straight at there best defensive player. I think they should use Lynch as the primary back and use Homer as the change of pace guy working the edges. I'm very happy that Lynch was the one taking the carry on the play where Wilson could barely even hand the ball off before it was blown up. I have never been so happy with a 5 yard loss because I was just happy Marshawn hung on to that ball.

Eamon696

Reaction score
How legendary would it be for Marshawn to have a big game at Lambeau Field? Would be something for NFL films

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I would think Beast will have a couple of OL back for this game
and will be pounding the rock more..
Homer might get the edge runs for big plays..
I'm feeling good about the RB situation now.

kmeleon

Reaction score
The only thing I'll say is that I'm disappointed in the amount of touches we gave him yesterday. I understand we weren't able to run for nothing yesterday but I was expecting a larger role for him this week. I'm hoping it was more of still easing him into the situation rather than maybe he just can't handle the load anymore. We're going to need at least something that resembles a running game this weekend and I can't see it being Homer leading the way. He's more of a complimentary back IMO.

Unleash the Beast!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
IndyHawk":25cqi56y said:
I would think Beast will have a couple of OL back for this game
and will be pounding the rock more..
Homer might get the edge runs for big plays..
I'm feeling good about the RB situation now.

I did not think we had anyone coming back. I thought the rest were out there for Philly. Who we got coming back?

Jville

Reaction score
With only 6 carries and two receptions on 18 snaps in the Eagles game, Marshawn should be in prime shape for the Packers.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
ML is really solid on protection and outlet plays. I expect to see more of that if we can't make any headway up the gut. It's when that begins paying some dividends that our passing game really cuts loose with the big stuff.
Homer is a great kid and has some talent, but just isn't big enough for some of the stuff he's being asked to do. However, keep in mind he did a commendable job against a tough Niner front. Didn't rack up a ton of yards, but did cause them to stack the front allowing for the deep TD that followed. Even though that sensational score was brought back for penalty, it was the moment that our fortunes changed allowing us the opportunity for a comeback win...that unfortunately ended up a couple inches shy.
Anyway, I'm expecting more chances for ML to be the BEAST in the immediate future.

GLio14

Reaction score
Homer does well in an Ekeler-type of role. I don't see him doing well going down the middle, maybe he can learn who knows. But I noticed he thrives going towards the sidelines or in the passing game. So that could be better for him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A few screen passes to the Beast would do them well. Watching him throw that guy to the ground brought back a lot of memories.