It's time for John Ursua

xray

Reaction score
Ursua was my favorite draft pick ; and I've been patiently waiting for the Hawks to give him a legit shot . With the loss of Gordon now is the time . He is as close to a Doug Baldwin clone as they will ever get . IMO

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
xray":292xvois said:
Ursua was my favorite draft pick ; and I've been patiently waiting for the Hawks to give him a legit shot . With the loss of Gordon now is the time . He is as close to a Doug Baldwin clone as they will ever get . IMO
Agree!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Really like what little I have seen of Ursua, but I think the issue is there is only room for one of Lockett or Ursua with respect to blocking or distracting safeties and CBs in the running game. Gordon and DK, both those dudes can block Linebackers and make it stick, never mind blocking DBs.

If you could have only one of Lockett or Ursua on the field at a time, as a run-blocking non-factor, but a massive factor in the passing game, which would you choose? Yeah, me too. But I do agree, I think Ursua should be getting at least half a dozen snaps a game.

I think the Baldwin comp is a huge stretch at this point. Ursua hasn't really even played in the regular season that I've seen. Anyone know his snap count for the regular season? Is it above zero (0) ?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Ursua is a Julian Edelman/ Cole Beasley clone. Not a Doug Baldwin clone. Doug could block and play ST's.

Largent80

Reaction score
Get the man on the field NOW !!!!!

A new weapon to get integrated before the playoffs.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1b26t7k1 said:
Ursua is a Julian Edelman/ Cole Beasley clone. Not a Doug Baldwin clone. Doug could block and play ST's.
If he is compared to any of those guys ; he shouldn't be riding the pine . He lead the nation in TDs in 2018 . He's also 25 years old . Not a kid . Let's see what he's got . There's hardly any pro film on him ; so he could be a big surprise to unveil on an opponents defense .

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If nothing else, I think it is important to find out what they have with him. Particularly given the talent at the WR position next year.

Although it's tough to make that case. The team is 11-3 right now and vying for a division title and a bye. If we were in LAR's shoes, it would make sense to see what we have. But circumstances don't allow. Think we'll have to just see how he develops after a second offseason in the system.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Watch his senior year highlights video. The guy is money in the red zone on rub-type play calls.

I sure hope that he sees the field this year.

James in PA

Reaction score
I wish someone would ask Pete about him at a presser. Maybe Pete is saving him for the Owl. Secret weapon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John63

Reaction score
Well lets look at it
Lockett known
DK kind of known with some dropo adn fumble issues

Brown ahh ahh nothing
Moore ahh ahh nothing
Turner well he shows some signs but limited chances
Urusa so

Well we are thin at WR so why not Ursua

AgentDib

Reaction score
The team's focus right now is 100% on winning the next game and 0% on developing young talent for future seasons. Ursua will get opportunities when they think he is the best short-term option.

Jacob Hollister is the guy currently running the same kind of routes that you'd like to give to Ursua.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hollister is definitely the "go to" guy. Has great hands and has gained much valuable game experience this year and has been fabulous in the process.

Would be awesome to see them integrate Ursua into this as well. Russ spends almost an hour after every practice working with these guys. I have total confidence in all of them.

GLio14

Reaction score
I've wanted him playing all season long! The dude has skills. He should be playing.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1q08w52f said:
Watch his senior year highlights video. The guy is money in the red zone on rub-type play calls.

Much agreed...every Hawks fan should watch his senior highlights . I've watched several . This man can be very helpful moving the chains in several ways .IMO

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Senior highlights are not an automatic translation to the NFL in any way whatsoever. Everyone in the pros, at every position on both sides, is bigger and faster and stronger than anyone Ursua faced in college, in ways that cameras just don't capture.

It might be that Pete and John, scout and dumpster-diving extraordinaires of the 2010s and finder of astonishing talent available for fifth- and seventh-round picks, are somehow blind to the talent that's right in front of them that is John Ursua.

Or...it might be that he's just not that good. Slow to learn the playbook, slow to develop blocking, slow period.

The chances are that he's not another Doug Baldwin hiding on the roster. The chances are that he just hadn't beaten Gordon, Moore, Turner, or even Brown for the position yet.

Now that Josh Gordon is out, though, he's got a better chance of appearing.

toffee

Reaction score
All of our wins have been tight games, so rookies like Ursua didn't get to play much in real games.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I have been an Ursua fan since he was first drafted and saw what he could do during training camp. I would love to see him getting some snaps but Pete sees him every day in practice and apparently doesn't think he is ready yet.
I'm guessing he will have a great future in a Hawk uniform, just biding his time...
GO HAWKS.....

Mad Dog

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":bb7jw4gw said:

College? College?
This is the NFL son. Making plays in college only minimally projects to making plays in the NFL. Gary Jennings and Amara Darboh's college tapes were awesome too.

He'll either be good or he won't and he'll play when the coaches think he's ready. They clearly like him or they would have cut him long ago. But we have guy that have been in the system longer and do the little things right. Gotta beat out those guys and it's not about hands and routes. It's about ST value, run blocking, knowing the playbook.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Ursua is a 7th round pick who has flashed in preseason but is playing a position that takes a notoriously long time to develop. Metcalf is developing at a fast rate and he is still making rookie mistakes.

There's also the Wilson factor. How many snaps has Ursua taken with Russ in practice? That timing and trust takes time.

They obviously like him, considering they are holding onto him over Jennings and he has no contributions on Special Teams. I think that he just needs more time with Russ.