The Importance of Pass Blocking

ivotuk

Reaction score
I saw something the other day saying that Ifedi (I think) was better at pass blocking that run blocking. I'll try to find it.

[tweet]1131188787894263808[/tweet]

"Sarah Barshop - @sarahbarshop -- May 22

Deshaun Watson said sometimes he may hold the ball for too long, but when he extends the play and has success, no one would say he should have gotten rid of the ball quicker. “So I guess it depends on what the results are,” Watson said."

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
After negative experiences with ESPN in the past, I will not subscribe to anything they have, nor would I recommend it, but I thought this was interesting enough to point out. The Colts have Glowinski now, and I hope he does good. Just more "goo" on Tom Cable's face.

ESPN+ EXCLUSIVE CONTENT

The NFL pass-blocking awards: Best and worst O-lines overall, and more

Best pass-blocking line: Indianapolis Colts

Expected starters: Anthony Castonzo, Quenton Nelson, Ryan Kelly, Mark Glowinski, Braden Smith

The Colts finished the regular season ranked No. 9 overall in PBWR, but there are two main reasons I expect them to fly up the list in 2019 even though they'll play the exact same group they rolled with toward the end of last season.

They mixed and matched early in the season while not at full strength before deciding on those five beginning in Week 6. From that point on the Colts had a PBWR of 60 percent, fourth best in the league in that span.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/ ... e#improved

Largent80

Reaction score
Ifedi had a way better year with Solari in place. He was hardly even mentioned compared to his previous years.

Cable was ass. Hard to believe Sweezy bolted to AZ. We've got some young dudes that are really going to bolster the line this year (Jones and Haynes)....Fant is also "getting it"....We're actually looking good on the line IMO.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
And FINALLY....

Pass blocking matters more than pass rushing, and we can prove it

...You can have the best pass-blocking offensive line in the league, or the best pass-rushing defensive line. What would you choose? ...this last draft class featured five defensive linemen or outside linebackers -- including three in the first four picks -- before the first offensive lineman was selected.

But the numbers? They're screaming in the opposite direction. According to the statistics, pass blocking is more important than pass rushing. Let me explain by answering all of the questions you might have, and here are some lines to watch this season based on our pass-blocking metrics.

In short, if a player sustains his block for 2.5 seconds, the offense is credited with a win. If a blocker is beat before 2.5 seconds after the snap, it's a loss. And the percentage of the time the offensive blockers win is the pass block win rate.

We even have the same statistic for the defense: pass rush win rate (PRWR). We use 2.5 seconds because it is roughly the average time to pass in the NFL.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/268 ... g-prove-it

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
IMHO, from reading and watching the NFL over years, I believe Dante Scarnecchia is the best OLine coach in the NFL

Top 10 Team Pass Block Win Rate
Rank Team Pass Block Win Rate
1 Rams 62%
2 Packers 60%
3 Chiefs 60%
4 Patriots 59%
5 Browns 59%
6 Bears 58%
7 Bills 56%
8 Seahawks 56%
9 Panthers 56%
10 Colts 55%

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
ivotuk":2yxdsbcj said:
After negative experiences with ESPN in the past, I will not subscribe to anything they have, nor would I recommend it, but I thought this was interesting enough to point out. The Colts have Glowinski now, and I hope he does good. Just more "goo" on Tom Cable's face.

ESPN+ EXCLUSIVE CONTENT

The NFL pass-blocking awards: Best and worst O-lines overall, and more

Best pass-blocking line: Indianapolis Colts

Expected starters: Anthony Castonzo, Quenton Nelson, Ryan Kelly, Mark Glowinski, Braden Smith

The Colts finished the regular season ranked No. 9 overall in PBWR, but there are two main reasons I expect them to fly up the list in 2019 even though they'll play the exact same group they rolled with toward the end of last season.

They mixed and matched early in the season while not at full strength before deciding on those five beginning in Week 6. From that point on the Colts had a PBWR of 60 percent, fourth best in the league in that span.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/ ... e#improved

The funny thing is, in the preseason game Seattle had against the Colts, Glowinski looked completely out of place, but that was because they had him at center for a few snaps. Good for him though, IMO, he had skill, it just becomes so increasingly clear now because he doesn't have Cable sabotaging those skills.

I heard Derek Carr has taken a beating since Cable took over the Raiders OL so I looked it up. Holly cow can these sack numbers be correct for last year? 51?

http://www.nfl.com/player/derekcarr/2543499/careerstats

Just imagine if Cable was coaching Houston's OL.

John63

Reaction score
You know this whole 2.5 seconds stuff is great, but there are variables that need to be taken into account. Example down and distance, type of offense, WR, QB, Te. Example if its 3rd an 10 you have to hold the ball longer than 3rd and 3. An offense like ours that likes to run, run, pass gets into alot of 3rd and long, the most in the league is what we were last year, funny we were also top 3 in pressure, sack, hit or hurried in under 2,5 seconds. However, most of that was due to down, distance, play calling and design. Also, our offense dials up a lot of down field plays all of these things force you to hold the ball longer, and there for forces the oline to hold its block longer.

For me a good pass blocking oline is an oline that can maintain its block long enough for the QB to make the throw needed for the play, down and distance.

sutz

Reaction score
John63":2w44wga6 said:
You know this whole 2.5 seconds stuff is great, but there are variables that need to be taken into account. Example down and distance, type of offense, WR, QB, Te. Example if its 3rd an 10 you have to hold the ball longer than 3rd and 3. An offense like ours that likes to run, run, pass gets into alot of 3rd and long, the most in the league is what we were last year, funny we were also top 3 in pressure, sack, hit or hurried in under 2,5 seconds. However, most of that was due to down, distance, play calling and design. Also, our offense dials up a lot of down field plays all of these things force you to hold the ball longer, and there for forces the oline to hold its block longer.

For me a good pass blocking oline is an oline that can maintain its block long enough for the QB to make the throw needed for the play, down and distance.
Yeah, the problem with absolute numbers like that is they don't count for what the offense is actually trying to accomplish.

The real strategy with a "run first" offense (which we really aren't BTW) is to get the DL thinking run first, which slows down the pass rush by a half step or so. Of course that doesn't really work on 3rd and Long. Seattle actually passes quite a bit in the first half of games, and they continue to throw-even with a lead-in the 2d half inorder to keep the D honest. With a balanced attack (which is what Carroll actually espouses) is to keep the D off balance and guessing what is coming next.

Seattle's offense is only really "run heavy" when compared with the more pass happy teams in the league.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
sutz":sinnen2i said:
Seattle's offense is only really "run heavy" when compared with the more pass happy teams in the league.

The Seahawks ran on 53.5% percent of their plays last year. It was #1 in the league.

The difference between them and #2 was 4 percentage points. The difference between #2 and #3 was 3/4s of 1 percentage point.

They were the most run heavy team in the NFL by a wide margin.

They were also tied for #1 for run percentage on first down. If that's not what "run first" means the term doesn't mean anything.

D

DomeHawk

John63":32t9fh0m said:

^Yes, and it's really the same with all stats. They only tell part of the story and you can't really rely on them to prove or disprove your argument.

sutz

Reaction score
Popeyejones":vwvgwn54 said:
sutz":vwvgwn54 said:

The Seahawks ran on 53.5% percent of their plays last year. It was #1 in the league.

The difference between them and #2 was 4 percentage points. The difference between #2 and #3 was 3/4s of 1 percentage point.

They were also tied for #1 for run percentage on first down. If that's not what "run first" means the term doesn't mean anything.
4 percentage points is a "wide margin?"

OK. :229031_shrug:

xray

Reaction score
Football to me begins in the trenches ...pass block...run block...if the OL can do both well ; they move the chains. IMO

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":30i0g05p said:
sutz":30i0g05p said:

I am happy with it, teams hate playing smash mouth teams in the second half of games and in the season when they are starting to get dinged a bit etc.

xray

Reaction score
50 sacks last season has got to get better this season....the Hawks have a very expensive QB to protect. GO HAWKS