Homerism in the media

soje

Reaction score
https://sports.yahoo.com/carson-wentz-b ... 56044.html

Look at this idiotic POS written by a "journalist" from Philadelphia.

Some gems from the article.

"...Not Doug Pederson. Not the officials. The Seahawks didn't even beat the Eagles – not as much as Wentz lost it, anyway."

"...The Eagles should've won, perhaps with ease. But Wentz overthrew Nelson Agholor on a likely touchdown..."

Is it my "homerism" speaking, or are the writers covering the Seahawks more neutral and smarter than others?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
soje":2dm6l35o said:
https://sports.yahoo.com/carson-wentz-blame-eagles-loss-175756044.html

Look at this idiotic POS written by a "journalist" from Philadelphia.

Some gems from the article.

"...Not Doug Pederson. Not the officials. The Seahawks didn't even beat the Eagles – not as much as Wentz lost it, anyway."

"...The Eagles should've won, perhaps with ease. But Wentz overthrew Nelson Agholor on a likely touchdown..."

Is it my "homerism" speaking, or are the writers covering the Seahawks more neutral and smarter than others?

It's Philly.. home of brotherly love. They tend to be homers about all their team.. they praise them in one breath and curse the hell out of them in another.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I don’t think our journalists are that good, either.

They are pandering to their local market for clicks etc. pretty standard. I mean, Philly fans don’t really want to read an article about how Russell Wilson is an MVP over Wentz a day after a serious butt kicking.

chris98251

Reaction score
Philly is one of the most brutal places to be a athlete fans and media, toss up with them in NY.

homerun1970

Reaction score
I read one by a Philly beat writer where they obviously had the better offense, defense and QB. There is a lot of delusion in that town apparenty. Wilson over Wentz, Defense well that showed to be Seattle over them. Offense yes they had looked good all season, then they got themselves into a brawl with a defense and scored ten, seven of those came on a uncalled illegal pick .

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
It would be brutal to be a pro athlete in Philly. They sure love themselves some front running there.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Nothing here is even close to the shit Mark Kiszla tries to pass for a column in the Denver Post. He is the king of homer beat writers. According to him, the coin toss beat the Broncos 3 years ago in Seattle.

Subzero717

Reaction score
That's the east coast for ya. I think our local media is equally as bad just in reverse. Regardless of population we function more as a small market.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I did a brief stint as a writer for a now defunct sports site and we were encouraged to stir the pot. That's how much of sports journalism works now. Stats and recaps don't get clicks--see how you've linked all of us to his site? He's getting exactly what he wanted.

Hell, ESPN has like three channels now all devoted to arguing. If no one is a contrarian, there's nothing to talk about. So if you're looking for everyone to stroke your team's ego, it's never going to happen, by design. It's what keep you reading/watching.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3ung85oz said:
I did a brief stint as a writer for a now defunct sports site and we were encouraged to stir the pot. That's how much of sports journalism works now. Stats and recaps don't get clicks--see how you've linked all of us to his site? He's getting exactly what he wanted.

Hell, ESPN has like three channels now all devoted to arguing. If no one is a contrarian, there's nothing to talk about. So if you're looking for everyone to stroke your team's ego, it's never going to happen, by design. It's what keep you reading/watching.

There are also genuine idiots. See: "Pete has to go" thread.

NINEster

Reaction score
Those are some homerish comments for sure.

But they have merit in the sense that this was a very even game.

I find it very interesting how the national narrative was that the Seahawks blew the game against the Falcons, but the Falcons had the lead most of the game. I never got the memo that the Hawks outplayed the Falcons.

From the eye test, Wentz was not "shut down" by any means.

And having watched a million prime time games where the Hawks host at Century Link, missed opportunities are huge.

The Eagles looked a lot better than they did last year in Seattle.

They will be fine. Even dare I say in a postseason rematch if it had to be at Century Link.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Most games, that are reasonably close, have three or four plays that could change the score or the outcome of the game.

Pointing them out is what fans, or the media for these fans, do everyday.

It’s certainly not new, different, or selective to any one team.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Happens with every team. The Philly stuff isnt a one off deal.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wentz experienced a regression similar to the one we forced from Jared Goff in September. Not total, but enough to make him less accurate and rob him of enough crucial plays.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Myopic east coast media homer at it's finest.

No one could have watched this game and not come away with the Hawks were just better in all phases. Wentz, Petersen, the refs, all were factors........but none of that costs the Eagles the game.

We whooped em, plain and simple.

StoneCold

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1dz64uh7 said:
Wentz experienced a regression similar to the one we forced from Jared Goff in September. Not total, but enough to make him less accurate and rob him of enough crucial plays.

Yeah I agree with this. I don't really have an issue with pointing out a player that under performs and blaming that for the loss (Walsh), but there were reasons Wentz had trouble, Seahawk D for instance. Article doesn't mention that at all, which for a Philly (or any hometown) writer is not unexpected.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":1jvndvtc said:
MontanaHawk05":1jvndvtc said:

Yeah I agree with this. I don't really have an issue with pointing out a player that under performs and blaming that for the loss (Walsh), but there were reasons Wentz had trouble, Seahawk D for instance. Article doesn't mention that at all, which for a Philly (or any hometown) writer is not unexpected.

To be fair to Wentz, Goff and just about every good to great QB we play..............our D is VERY tough to succeed against.

Wentz even talked about it in his mid week interview before the game. He said what everyone knows about our D, he said our defensive scheme with Earl in a one high safety literally takes away half your playbook.

That was compounded by the Hawks getting out ahead 10-0 and forcing Wentz and the Eagle's offense to abandon the run............which again when our D-Line can just pin their ears back? It's devastating, especially at home.

So I wouldn't say Wentz regressed, or isn't the QB everyone thought he was. He experienced what most QB's who come in here experience, a tough D and place to have offensive success.

OP
OP
soje

soje

Reaction score
It's true that I linked to that garbage here, but it was to point out the homerism of the article, not because I thought it was worth a read. Ok, I guess every click counts, but I don't imagine it does any good to the writer's reputation.

I like my news to present a reasonable picture of the facts. I dislike excessive homerism even in message board posts.

WindCityHawk":2kw10pen said:

mikeak

Reaction score
Wentz had two "miracle plays", one of which was a pick, to score the one TD

Besides that they were completely contained the whole game

They had ONE bad call against them, they wasted 35 seconds by not challenging it and then it was to late and somehow they think they should have won the game because of that one call in a 14pt loss

They never moved the ball in a sustained and confident way - Seattle dominated all three aspects despite the yardage stats

adeltaY

Reaction score
NINEster":11czo17k said:
Those are some homerish comments for sure.

But they have merit in the sense that this was a very even game.

I find it very interesting how the national narrative was that the Seahawks blew the game against the Falcons, but the Falcons had the lead most of the game. I never got the memo that the Hawks outplayed the Falcons.

From the eye test, Wentz was not "shut down" by any means.

And having watched a million prime time games where the Hawks host at Century Link, missed opportunities are huge.

The Eagles looked a lot better than they did last year in Seattle.

They will be fine. Even dare I say in a postseason rematch if it had to be at Century Link.

And missed opportunities were huge for us against the Falcons too. We were in position to tie that game and lost by 3 points as time expired. Philly lost by 10.