Lets Call A Spade A Spade

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Last week this forum was overran with topics about how the refs screwed us over and cost us the game.

Well....One week later, and we get some help from the refs.

While I'm not sure why the NFL is saying it should have been a personal foul on Sherman, there is no doubt that the refs should have blown the play dead the moment Sherman crossed the line of scrimmage. And the delay of game that moved the Bills back 5 yards to make it a longer field goal was also an error by the refs. If you watch, they blow the whistle to start the play with three seconds on the play clock.

Pretty poor officiating. Unfortunately we were on the wrong side last week, and the Bills were on the wrong side this week.

So...thank you refs :D

potatohead

Reaction score
Well, that was three points, then they have to make the field goal at the end, then they have to win in OT. Not exactly a sure bet.

iigakusei

Reaction score
100% agree the refs are an absolute joke. No consistency.

HawkGA

Reaction score
There was some holding and false starts uncalled when the Bills were backed up to their end zone that would have given the Hawks a non-zero probability for a safety.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Oh, and on the 2 point conversion, the ball is on the qb's lap and he is sitting outside the end zone.

ARhawk

Reaction score
Since when is offsides and dead ball foul? If sherm let up the kicker would have kicked the ball. It doesnt make any sense to let him try the field goal

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":14pry1d4 said:
Last week this forum was overran with topics about how the refs screwed us over and cost us the game.

Well....One week later, and we get some help from the refs.

While I'm not sure why the NFL is saying it should have been a personal foul on Sherman, there is no doubt that the refs should have blown the play dead the moment Sherman crossed the line of scrimmage. And the delay of game that moved the Bills back 5 yards to make it a longer field goal was also an error by the refs. If you watch, they blow the whistle to start the play with three seconds on the play clock.

Pretty poor officiating. Unfortunately we were on the wrong side last week, and the Bills were on the wrong side this week.

So...thank you refs :D

I did replay the field goal. It took like 5 seconds for them to blow the whistle after double 00. How is that an error except that they didn't blow the whistle sooner

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
There is no doubt the refs have a tough job. But they need to do better. It's one thing to screw up calls when the game is moving, but to not reset a play clock or blow a call dead is bad.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
That absolutely shouldn't have been a personal foul. Sherman jumped, paused, realized the ball was being snapped and there had been no whistles, started toward the block again, got pushed toward the kicker, touched the ball first, collided with Carpenter, and then the first whistle blew.

Ifor the refs would have blown their whistles when they should have, sherman would have stayed stopped.

The referees absolutely called that portion correctly. Didn't really catch what went on with the delay of game, seahawks may have gotten away with one there.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
ARhawk":l5xyr08i said:
Since when is offsides and dead ball foul? If sherm let up the kicker would have kicked the ball. It doesnt make any sense to let him try the field goal

Exactly.

No different than coming in and sacking the QB on a "free play" to keep him from throwing unabated.

And since he tipped the ball, no penalty.

If a simple guy like me can get it right, surely the NFL talking heads must be faking ignorance to keep the fake story line going about Seattle getting calls...

Now the delay of game was a different story. That was a screw job.

cymatica

Reaction score
Saw plenty of the usual blatent holds go uncalled. 2 false starts that i noticed, did not get called.

Last week there was a 10 point swing (or was it 13) off missed/bad calls and costed them the game. Tonight you can maybe argue 3 points from 1 call.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Two uncalled false starts by Buffalo. No one mentions this. But, yah, Sherman should have been flagged for 15

Reaneypark

Reaction score
You play until you hear the whistle. He blocked the kick, so no roughing! Why is this too hard to figure out?

I mean, did anybody cry when our punter got decked when the Bills blocked his kick?

No?

Then shut up!

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Tonight was just normal bad officiating. Bad calls both ways. People will cry about Sherm non call but it was not called wrong. Even the Ravens kicker got his panties in a bunch over it. Hahahaha. I hate the Ravens

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah I don't get why the NFL is saying that Sherman should have been flagged for a personal foul. If you tip or touch the ball, you can basically do whatever you want to the kicker. But the play obviously should have been blown dead. And the Bills got screwed on the delay of game.

renofox

Reaction score
The officials did screw up twice:

1) The officials should have whistled the play dead since Sherman was offside unabated to the kicker. Since they did not blow the whistle Sherman had to disrupt the kick to avoid a free try for the Bills. Since they did not blow the play dead, it was a live play. There is no penalty for roughing if, during a live play, the defensive player touches the ball.

2) The officials should not have held up play (when the Bills received the delay penalty) until there was only ~5 seconds left on the play clock. NOTE: I am not 100% sure on this. When the offense substitute players (as the Bills did) the refs have to give time for both teams to make substitutions. Was Buffalo slow getting the kicking team onto the field?

Polaris

Reaction score
ARhawk":sjelvb0m said:

Offsides can be a dead-ball foul if in the judgment of the official the violator has unabated access to the QB or Kicker (which Sherman pretty clearly had). This is a case where the whistle should have been blown immediately but wasn't.

Terrible Officiating, but Sherman did nothing wrong (other than mistiming his rush and being offside of course). Had Sherman hit the kicker without hitting the ball first, that would be different, but that's not what happened.

Sonichellboy

Reaction score
I'm still confused by the McCoy play late in the game where he clearly steps out of bounds then comes in and catches the ball. Is that not illegal? Gruden mentioned it in passing on the replay but it was never mentioned again.

renofox

Reaction score
RULE: Uncalled penalties against the Seahawks opposition can never alter the outcome of the game, and it doesn't fit the narrative.

Latest posts