Rees Odhiambo

Hawkintent

Reaction score
What is his deal? I know there was injury talk about him and then he needed to develop. My question is what is the plan for him? The fact that Fant with his lack of experience is the best backup plan and when Ifedi was out the talk was put Hunt in and move Britt but ultimately just start Webb. Is he being groomed for guard or tackle? It seemed like he was one of the favorite draft picks by coaches.

Largent80

Reaction score
Nobody here knows. Last week he was inactive but still on the roster. Seems like Sokoli last year.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Like almost half the rest of the line he's a rookie or first-time starter.

Fant does have amazing SPARQ numbers, maybe it's that athleticism that gave him the edge when they had to choose on Sunday at the Cards.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain they didn't figure this O-Line to be in this position but it is. Rookies are going to have to play. Oh goody

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Odhiambo better be being groomed for tackle because we don't have much in the pipeline. He's currently listed as the backup LG on the depth chart, which is all too fitting.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well to start Odhiambo played Guard in college not Tackle. He has the physical measurables but no real meaningful reps there.

Add to that he was injured a lot in college, and then he played at Boise St. Most of this game reps were not against Div I type talent. There's going to be a learning curve.

People read that Odiambo (or anyone else for that matter) has the physical ability to play Tackle, and just imagine that he can roll out there and do it.

If playing Tackle was so easy that a 3rd round pick from a smaller school that played Guard can roll out there and start at Tackle in his first year in the league could do it, then a lot more guys could do it and finding a Tackle would be no big deal.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Hawks46":4bv265oi said:
Well to start Odhiambo played Guard in college not Tackle. He has the physical measurables but no real meaningful reps there.

Add to that he was injured a lot in college, and then he played at Boise St. Most of this game reps were not against Div I type talent. There's going to be a learning curve.

People read that Odiambo (or anyone else for that matter) has the physical ability to play Tackle, and just imagine that he can roll out there and do it.

If playing Tackle was so easy that a 3rd round pick from a smaller school that played Guard can roll out there and start at Tackle in his first year in the league could do it, then a lot more guys could do it and finding a Tackle would be no big deal.

Odhiambo started at LT in 2014 and 2015, and at RT the year before that. Seattle listed him at guard after the draft but he is a college tackle.

He missed games due to injury each year, though. Sounds like our prototypical LT! I kid, I kid... sort of.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/04/29/seahawks-select-boise-state-guard-rees-odhiambo-pick-no-97

Ruminator

Reaction score
Well, we drafted Poole two years ago. He's still a Seahawk. What's he doing now? If maybe late 2016 or next season he suddenly finds that can of spinach and plays better than a plastic K-Mart sieve made in China, then great. But if not, and if we eventually realize Odhiambo is just another plastic K-Mart sieve made in China, I might actually start getting annoyed or something. In other words, I'm already getting kind of tired of this crap.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ask me about this player next season, he won't play much this year as he gets healthier.

I think he's a potential OG or swing T and would be surprised to see a higher ceiling than that. As a 3rd pick, we had traded the 4th round pick, he was probably over drafted by a round or 2, but could be a solid depth player who might show something when his knees/ ankle recover.

Time will tell.

Hawks46

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3qeu2u4n said:
Hawks46":3qeu2u4n said:

Odhiambo started at LT in 2014 and 2015, and at RT the year before that. Seattle listed him at guard after the draft but he is a college tackle.

He missed games due to injury each year, though. Sounds like our prototypical LT! I kid, I kid... sort of.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/04/29/seahawks-select-boise-state-guard-rees-odhiambo-pick-no-97

I stand corrected. I'd read a scouting report, maybe I mistook his projection to Guard as actually playing mostly Guard.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Ruminator":3dh4fppk said:
Well, we drafted Poole two years ago. He's still a Seahawk. What's he doing now? If maybe late 2016 or next season he suddenly finds that can of spinach and plays better than a plastic K-Mart sieve made in China, then great. But if not, and if we eventually realize Odhiambo is just another plastic K-Mart sieve made in China, I might actually start getting annoyed or something. In other words, I'm already getting kind of tired of this crap.

Poole is no longer a Seahawk. He was cut on October 3 and now sits on the Dolphins PS. He's emblematic of what worries me about Seattle's OL. Not a single tackle conversion/reclamation project has worked.

Actually, it could be argued that Breno worked, but as soon as he became effective he left in FA for a reasonable contract, $4.5M per. Saying Breno worked is a stretch as he really isn't very good and oft penalized.

McGruff

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2qna50b2 said:
Ruminator":2qna50b2 said:

Poole is no longer a Seahawk. He was cut on October 3 and now sits on the Dolphins PS. He's emblematic of what worries me about Seattle's OL. Not a single tackle conversion/reclamation project has worked.

Actually, it could be argued that Breno worked, but as soon as he became effective he left in FA for a reasonable contract, $4.5M per. Saying Breno worked is a stretch as he really isn't very good and oft penalized.

Saying $4.5 million a year is reasonable for a not very good and oft penalized right tackle is a stretch as well, and emblematic of why the Seahawks haven't re-signed many guys at the position. when below average veteran talent gets above average veteran contracts, the economics just don't make sense.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Go through the O-liners drafted in the NFL available without moving up.

People like Terry Poole were the most athletic/explosive from a limited remaining bunch.

In fact in the 2015 draft a bunch of O-liners left the board right before Seattle's second round pick -- so they took Clark and Lockett (two good picks). From round two until round four there were basically zero options. None at all. And by R4 Seattle were taking the best remaining -- Poole, Glowinski etc. Had they wanted to go OL in round two or three instead of Clark and Lockett it would've been Poole and Glow rounds earlier and no Clark or Lockett.

It's very easy to criticise what Seattle has done, but they haven't been missing on O-liners that have gone elsewhere and had major success. There is a dearth of good OL's in college and the good ones go very early (top-15). Leaving the rest of the league, Seattle included, to try and find diamonds. Not easy.

mistaowen

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":5z99goey said:

People like Terry Poole were the most athletic/explosive from a limited remaining bunch.

In fact in the 2015 draft a bunch of O-liners left the board right before Seattle's second round pick -- so they took Clark and Lockett (two good picks). From round two until round four there were basically zero options. None at all. And by R4 Seattle were taking the best remaining -- Poole, Glowinski etc. Had they wanted to go OL in round two or three instead of Clark and Lockett it would've been Poole and Glow rounds earlier and no Clark or Lockett.

It's very easy to criticise what Seattle has done, but they haven't been missing on O-liners that have gone elsewhere and had major success. There is a dearth of good OL's in college and the good ones go very early (top-15). Leaving the rest of the league, Seattle included, to try and find diamonds. Not easy.

Do you think it's only going to get worse, as far as college OL talent/coaching goes, as offenses become more and more spread/fast paced? There doesn't seem to be anything slowing these teams outside of Alabama (kinda Auburn running) and so many games are either a blow out or 50-48.

The Texas Tech vs Oklahoma game was ridiculous as a side note. 88 pass attempts by TT with 734 yards?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
mistaowen":iber39pk said:
Do you think it's only going to get worse, as far as college OL talent/coaching goes, as offenses become more and more spread/fast paced? There doesn't seem to be anything slowing these teams outside of Alabama (kinda Auburn running) and so many games are either a blow out or 50-48.

The Texas Tech vs Oklahoma game was ridiculous as a side note. 88 pass attempts by TT with 734 yards?

I do. The offensive tackle class for 2017 is horrendous. It is quite possible zero offensive tackles will be drafted in round one next April.

The main problem for me is -- top high school athletes are seeing how much Ndamukong Suh, Olivier Vernon and others are earning playing DL and they want to play defense. College teams, wanting the top recruits pander to their desires. Look at Alabama. The #1 nationwide recruit from three years ago is a rotational cog on their D-line playing barely any snaps.

A few of these players get converted to O-line (eg Cam Erving at FSU) but most just take part in these heavy rotations on defense. Colleges find serviceable O-liners in the meantime and play a quick spread style that limits the damage. Basically CFB couldn't give a toss about the quality of OL play in the NFL.

It's a major, major, major, major problem for the league. Not just the Seahawks.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Finding starter quality OTs is certainly a difficult exercise as can be seen from the large number of 1st Rd. busts. Finding the guys who fit the Hawks scheme seems somehow harder.

It's going to be hard to find ' the guys ' to bolster the OT group the team has here from this next draft class as there seems to be a dearth of quality OTs in this class. I'm sure the scouts are all working hard to watch any player with some potential to convert the college game into the pro style game, a not easy transition.

How many here honestly thought that Britt would transition to being a capable C? The team focused upon the interior OLine and made it significantly better this last offseason, now it appears that the OTs need to be worked on as Gilliam has has failed to continue to improve and Sowell is stopgap type player, perhaps better suited to being a depth player. It is interesting to note that both are FAs after this year. So far between the two Sowell has done more to be kept than Gilliam but neither is going to command a big contract.

Cap sensibility prevents the team grabbing a tired vet from another team at the cost of high salary and valuable draft pick(s). With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the team combing through rosters to find a guy or two with potential for our scheme to try to knock off those kept here, if any, this offseason. I wouldn't surprise me to find the guy(s) are already here in Fant, Ifedi, or Odhiambo, or if lucky from FA or the draft.

I'd not bet against the FO fixing this positional deficiency.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":dj7onu04 said:

Maybe SPARQ rating isn't as important for OL as it is for other positions? I understand Seattle's approach to OL drafting, I'm just not sure the results are providing validation.

Seattle has also missed on plenty of OL draft picks, Paul Richardson over Jack Mewhort, Morgan Moses, and Gabe Jackson in 2014 come to mind. Now I know this retrospective exercise isn't fair and teams miss all the time, but applying a SPARQ methodology to OL conversion projects has yet to pay dividends. Do you see evidence of it succeeding? I haven't seen much, though I hope that turns around.

One problem that seems consistent is this team's willingness to toss college tackles inside. If that's where they're best suited so be it, but where are the tackles supposed to come from? Our first round picks are relatively cheap and cost controlled. Tackles are expensive and in short supply. Given our budget approach to the OL it seems that these are the type of players that should be playing tackle for us prior to leaving for big money in FA once we no longer control their cost.

jblaze

Reaction score
Rees should be our RG next season when Ifedi moves to RT. Gilliam is a RFA and I'm not sure if they keep him around or not. Gilliam was slotted to be our LT and prepared as such all offseason only to get beat out by Sowell and Fant? Injuries during camp didn't help him either.

I see a high draft pick or FA at LT next year. Glow at LG, Britt at C, Rees at RG and Ifedi at RT.

You're not going to get a great LT picking late in the draft like we do so perhaps we have to move up, trade or grab a FA and the FA pool does not look great. That's why I'm in favor of taking a look at Joe Thomas. His contract isn't bad at all and he has a few years left and is light years ahead of anything we have now. We could easily draft a LT later in the draft for grooming and we can't overlook the prime years left we have with this defense in that our opportunity is now so we need to fill our glaring hole at LT or potentially lose out of a huge opportunity this year.

That said, I don't see our front office doing that. I think we're stuck with Sowell and Fant this year.

Like last year, it will take them a while to gel but they should look quite a bit better later in the year when they get comfortable playing with each other. However, pass rushers in the playoffs with a hobbled QB will not be fun. I have incredible confidence and faith in this team but this hole looks like a potential Achilles heal that may prevent us from our ultimate goal.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
If Fant struggles Sunday I could see Webb stepping in, for until Sowell is healthy or even beyond. Fant may be good enough by next year but absent signing a bona fide LT somehow before Tuesday and then getting him into a groove we're kind of screwed there for now. Will hurt, having that weak spot in the playoffs.

Largent80

Reaction score
When he was picked I was like, WHO?

And I'm still thinking that. People here were totally convinced that Gilliam was the LT since O-penalty machine kung was leaving.

I was sceptical of that at the time and look how it turned out
Gilliam can't even play RT worth a damn.
And Ohiambo can't even get on the field.

Latest posts