Just have to say this about the no PI call

Crizilla

Reaction score
The media is incredibly disgusting at times. These are people who love nothing but drama and can be the most
Hypocritical people you'll ever see. Be very aware of the media. As for ESPN, everyone should know
They come from the east coast (having a studio in LA doesn't mean anything). These are people who are extremely biased towards east coast teams specifically NY and Boston. I can absolutely promise you if Sherman played for the pats or jets and made that play on Julio jones, ESPN would not be crying. This is the truth. 99% of sports media hates the
Northwest, and we all know about XL. The jets get more coverage for sucking than minny does for being undefeated. Cowboys and LA teams get their share of love too. I just wanted to bring this up because it seems like lots of hawk fans (probably young ones) seem to react the same way every time they see or hear something in the media. Please do not pay the slightest attention to it and get on with your life. Thank you. Go hawks

two dog

Reaction score
Of all the terms used in sports, "talking heads" is probably the most accurate.

You are certainly correct in saying that they love drama. The would rather have
a controversy, over anything at all, than reporting on the facts of a game.
They see it better from the press box, or more usually, from a studio and decide
that they saw it better than a man right next to the play. An official who did not have
the luxury of slow motion, stop action, and replay.

We have all been on the other end of calls that seemed unfair to our team but that is
no reason to try to start a holy crusade. I respect the complaints of an opposing team's
fans more than the media guys because they have, at least, passion on their side.
The heads are simply trying to stir the....well, you know.

As far as media bias, as a fan from the first Seahawk kickoff, and after enduring the
media love for the Cowboys (to the point of nausea), I can't work up a good argument
against your contention.

253hawk

Reaction score
I'm just sick of hearing about how we were 'gifted' a win. Like we didn't already earn and have the lead at the time and that the Falcons were certain to win if they had got the DPI (which Jones didn't even seem to be asking for, if you watch his body language).

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I learned a long time ago to completely ignore all of it.

It doesn't mean anything.

Seriously. It doesn't.

Just enjoy the game.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I just don't even listen to ESPN anymore. I'm much happier nowadays.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Can an Olineman push a defender into the ground from behind while still at the line of scrimmage?

RiverDog

Reaction score
253hawk":2sdov2ab said:
I'm just sick of hearing about how we were 'gifted' a win. Like we didn't already earn and have the lead at the time and that the Falcons were certain to win if they had got the DPI (which Jones didn't even seem to be asking for, if you watch his body language).

Most of the talking heads I've been listening to (Sirius XM) haven't gone that far. The consensus of those I heard comment on the subject was that there should have been two flags thrown, one at the start of the play on Jones and one at the end on Sherman. That would have resulted in offsetting penalties and a do-over, which I find to be an objective opinion. But even if you accept that argument, a successful 4th and 10 conversion has to be somewhere in the 25% region so the odds were that they wouldn't have converted anyway, which hardly qualifies as a gifted win.

Similar to the Megatron fumble last year, there are always fans looking for the refs, obscure rules, etc, to bail them out.

253hawk

Reaction score
And on the 3 previous plays, all were covered exceptionally well.

1st pass: Ryan flushed, deep out of bounds to Sanu with Lane right on his hip
2nd pass: short middle, Sanu blasted immediately by Earl...3-4 yard gain if he even holds on
3rd pass: Ryan flushed, deep left to Sanu and defended by Shead
4th pass: Ryan never looks anywhere except at Jones the whole time, it was a complete 'hope for a flag' play' as they had totally given up hope trying for anything in the 10-15 yard range because they were totally shut down.

CloseFlamboyantDodo.gif

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
253hawk":2inwg7rn said:
And on the 3 previous plays, all were covered exceptionally well.

1st pass: Ryan flushed, deep out of bounds to Sanu with Lane right on his hip
2nd pass: short middle, Sanu blasted immediately by Earl...3-4 yard gain if he even holds on
3rd pass: Ryan flushed, deep left to Sanu and defended by Shead
4th pass: Ryan never looks anywhere except at Jones the whole time, it was a complete 'hope for a flag' play'

CloseFlamboyantDodo.gif

On this same play, isn't that pushing from behind illegal for a lineman? Marsh #91 escapes his defender only to get push from behind.

This is what I got from the NFL rulebook

Blocker cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts his movement as the play develops.

Wright is getting held as well.

If that is the case, Falcons committed three penalties in one play

253hawk

Reaction score
I saw that happen a couple of times to our DL during the game, but I honestly don't know the legality of it. If there is something against it, I don't think I've ever seen it called.

chevelle03

Reaction score
The saddest thing about this video is the two Falcons receivers instantly begging for a flag to be thrown before they could even know if Julio caught it or not. A passing play in the NFL these days is less about whether it's caught or not, and more about whether PI is called or not.

classicaaron

Reaction score
those blocks are perfectly legal. you can block in the back when inside the box and when the lineman is already engaged with the defender. otherwise every defender would just do a spin move while getting blocked and would get pushed in the back for a flag.

im just worried against the cardinals that our secondary is going to get a lot of phantom calls made to try and make up for this call. it will be the nfl showing the media that they aren't out to favor the hawks. they will be like see Sherman got 5 pass interference calls this week.

hawker84

Reaction score
I just listen to the players and coaches, I'm sure if you asked any of them if they felt they were gifted a win, they'd look at you like you stole something. It was a hard fought battle, with bad calls going against both teams. Seattle came out on top, period. If ATL was that good, they would not have given up 26 points, shoulda been 30 points.

253hawk

Reaction score
Found it:

ARTICLE 3. ILLEGAL BLOCK BY OFFENSIVE PLAYER. It is a foul if an offensive blocker:

(a) Thrusts his hands forward above the frame of an opponent to contact him on the head, neck, or face
Note: Contact in close-line play that is not direct and forcible is not a foul.

(b) Blocks an opponent (from behind) in the back above the opponent’s waist, or uses his hands or arms to push an opponent from behind in a manner that affects his movement, except in close-line play.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Missed DPI, missed Hands to the face, whatever.

The Hawks won and no whining talking head is going to take that away.

Yep, both were probably uncalled penalties, but the team still beat Atlanta. The Hawks had lots of refereeing errors to grumble about that skewed the game too.

Time to move on.

Still believe DPI spot of the foul over penalizes and disproportionately rewards the O. It's time to revisit the OPI and DPI penalty parameters.

Hawks46

Reaction score
classicaaron":3jsvywn5 said:
those blocks are perfectly legal. you can block in the back when inside the box and when the lineman is already engaged with the defender. otherwise every defender would just do a spin move while getting blocked and would get pushed in the back for a flag.

im just worried against the cardinals that our secondary is going to get a lot of phantom calls made to try and make up for this call. it will be the nfl showing the media that they aren't out to favor the hawks. they will be like see Sherman got 5 pass interference calls this week.

It depends on what crew we get. If we get the crew that officiated the Jets game on Monday night, it's going to be a flag fest, no matter what happened last week. The Cards got gifted a minimum of 4 phantom DPI calls. It's not like they weren't going to beat the Jets anyways.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sherman doesn't grab Jones' arm. Seahawks win. Nice story. Lasts 6 hours

Sherman does grab Jones' arm. Seahawks win. Controversy. People mad. People click. People comment. Interesting story that lasts days.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Any story with an anti-Seahawks theme lasts days, get used to it.

The Seahawks are cheaters, they don't deserve to win, Fail Mary, Julio's arm, Blah, Blah, Blah! Change the rules to prevent that Seattle team from winning. Same Ol' same ol'.

Just look at the W column, that's all that is necessary. The rest is pure BS.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawks46":2zjve6rg said:
classicaaron":2zjve6rg said:

It depends on what crew we get. If we get the crew that officiated the Jets game on Monday night, it's going to be a flag fest, no matter what happened last week. The Cards got gifted a minimum of 4 phantom DPI calls. It's not like they weren't going to beat the Jets anyways.

We get Terry Macauley and his crew. I posted it yesterday in the NFL forum.

They had booger...er uh Boger.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
And this is why making penalties reviewable is problematic. How much of the play do the refs watch? The entirety, or just a section? What if the ref notes multiple fouls? Let them play and get used to a few questionable calls.