Changes to the Defensive Line

RW92

Reaction score
With the 3rd pre-season game approaching I have my own opinion about who should start on the defensive line from what I have seen this summer.

Remember this is just my opinion based upon who can contribute the best upside and give us the best game changing plays.

1.) I love what I've seen from Jarran Reed and Quinton Jefferson. So I would place Reed in front of Rubin who doesn't seem to have the push that the young Reed has.

2.) Next I would put Jefferson in front of Hill. I feel that as the season goes on he and Reed will emerge into a great new youthful force on the line for us.

3.) And lastly I have to start Frank Clark at OLB over Morgan. We need Frank Clark on the field as many plays as we can. We wasted plays with him last year by not utilizing him enough.

Put those three young guns up there and see what happens alongside Bennett, Avril, K.J. and Wagner and I think we will see the push and play on the other side of the line of scrimmage that is needed to make a push towards February.

Give me your input. I don't think I'm too far off. Again without a sustained pass rush, and getting off the field on 3rd down bad things will eventually happen.

Let's go Hawks.

dogorama

Reaction score
One of the things that makes Michael Bennett so valuable is his interior pass rush when he shifts to the inside. Without his ability to play multiple positions along the line we have no interior pass rush. It would be nice to have a decent pass-rushing DT but that hasn't happened yet.

Jarron Reed was drafted to replace Mebane at his run-stuffer role. So far he looks like he will be able to fill that need as the season progresses. Initially, Reed was projected as a middle-round 1st round pick but slipped with concerns over his pass rushing ability, hopefully he will develop some chops.

I don't know much about Jefferson yet but I am w/you, we need to develop these young dudes sooner, not later. This year our schedule is the opposite of last year with easier 1st half, difficult 2nd. My hope is that they will get to play enough in the first half of the season that they are ready for the second half.

One of the most critical parts of our success in '13 was our ability to keep the D-Line fresh by freely substituting the line. If we can develop that again we will greatly improve our chances to get back to the SB again. They have to contribute though, it's going to take more than just bodies.

titan3131

Reaction score
RW92":2qljcggj said:
With the 3rd pre-season game approaching I have my own opinion about who should start on the defensive line from what I have seen this summer.

Remember this is just my opinion based upon who can contribute the best upside and give us the best game changing plays.

1.) I love what I've seen from Jarran Reed and Quinton Jefferson. So I would place Reed in front of Rubin who doesn't seem to have the push that the young Reed has.

2.) Next I would put Jefferson in front of Hill. I feel that as the season goes on he and Reed will emerge into a great new youthful force on the line for us.

3.) And lastly I have to start Frank Clark at OLB over Morgan. We need Frank Clark on the field as many plays as we can. We wasted plays with him last year by not utilizing him enough.

Put those three young guns up there and see what happens alongside Bennett, Avril, K.J. and Wagner and I think we will see the push and play on the other side of the line of scrimmage that is needed to make a push towards February.

Give me your input. I don't think I'm too far off. Again without a sustained pass rush, and getting off the field on 3rd down bad things will eventually happen.

Let's go Hawks.

BRO Mike morgan is the SAM, the job is to hold contain on the run and cover.

Frank Clark is a LEO/DE... NOT A LINEBACKER. He will rarely drop in coverage but will be rushing the passer 99% of the time.

McGruff

Reaction score
titan3131":337r4y27 said:
RW92":337r4y27 said:

Let's go Hawks.

BRO Mike morgan is the SAM, the job is to hold contain on the run and cover.

Frank Clark is a LEO/DE... NOT A LINEBACKER. He will rarely drop in coverage but will be rushing the passer 99% of the time.

I could see situations where they put Frank there as an additional pass rusher from the position, but even then, Marsh will probably do that so Frank can play DE in pass rushing situations.

I think Jefferson is already above Hill on the coaching depth chart as a pass rushing interior lineman. That was Hill's MO coming out of college, but injuries and other issues have changed his skill set to a more traditional DT. Jefferson at this point is more explosive and agile.

I think our starting line is Avril, Rubin, Reed and Bennett and our nickel and dime line is Avril, Bennett, Jefferson and Clark.

Largent80

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin was lined up quite a few times last year at DE. Morgan has been meh in the SAM position so far. This is an edge setting role as was stated above I think Morgan will be OK in coverage but sure would like to see a better performance from him than what he has shown so far

kearly

Reaction score
Reed and Rubin will be the primary two DTs on rushing downs. Reed isn't competing with Rubin for snaps at all, Pete will have both on the field together, with Reed replacing Mebane's role from last year.

Clark is basically going to assume the Bruce Irvin role, except that he'll probably play a lot less actual LB. Clark, Morgan, and (if he makes the team) Browner will share snaps as the 11th man on the defense, each having a distinct specialization.

I'm kinda worried about our depth at LB, right now we are a Mike Morgan injury from being in a pickle. If Clark became an ACTUAL SAM linebacker and had to drop into coverage regularly, NFL OC's would target him mercilessly. Seattle could adapt by going to the 2010 style big nickle with Browner, but that's still probably a less than ideal defense against the run.

Our depth at run stopping DT is concerning as well. I've never been a big fan of Siliga and now he can't even get on the field. McDaniel looked great in 2013 but has been pretty average since and is on the wrong side of 30. Hill is the epitome of average. I guess our depth isn't horrible, but it still feels thin given how much Seattle relies on having an elite run D. When teams run well on Seattle, our defense doesn't look good at all.

Jefferson has looked pretty meh so far, IMO. He's had a couple of solid plays but no real impact on games, similar to Jordan Hill. I like his quickness and haven't given up on him as a prospect, but I would discount him having any kind of immediate impact for our defense.

OP
OP
R

RW92

Reaction score
Loved what I saw last night. It was great to see some blitzing (praise the Lord coach Richard), especially with Lane coming off the corner. Need more of this in passing situations.

I will agree with those who have mentioned that Clark may have some issues in pass coverage, but I love the upside and energy he brings to the game. Has qualities that you can't teach. Still need to find a place for him on a more consistent basis.

And lastly I don't know what everyone stills thinks, but the jury for me is still out on Rubin. He just doesn't get the push that I'm looking for.

Other than that, it was great to see the Hawks playing at attack speed on defense. Can't wait for the first game.

Lastly, loved Webb on the O-line. And the kid McEvoy looks good. He should make the team.

Until the first game. Hopefully no injuries in practice. Go Hawks.

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":ehk1hjhw said:
Reed and Rubin will be the primary two DTs on rushing downs. Reed isn't competing with Rubin for snaps at all, Pete will have both on the field together, with Reed replacing Mebane's role from last year.

Clark is basically going to assume the Bruce Irvin role, except that he'll probably play a lot less actual LB. Clark, Morgan, and (if he makes the team) Browner will share snaps as the 11th man on the defense, each having a distinct specialization.

I'm kinda worried about our depth at LB, right now we are a Mike Morgan injury from being in a pickle. If Clark became an ACTUAL SAM linebacker and had to drop into coverage regularly, NFL OC's would target him mercilessly. Seattle could adapt by going to the 2010 style big nickle with Browner, but that's still probably a less than ideal defense against the run.

Our depth at run stopping DT is concerning as well. I've never been a big fan of Siliga and now he can't even get on the field. McDaniel looked great in 2013 but has been pretty average since and is on the wrong side of 30. Hill is the epitome of average. I guess our depth isn't horrible, but it still feels thin given how much Seattle relies on having an elite run D. When teams run well on Seattle, our defense doesn't look good at all.

Jefferson has looked pretty meh so far, IMO. He's had a couple of solid plays but no real impact on games, similar to Jordan Hill. I like his quickness and haven't given up on him as a prospect, but I would discount him having any kind of immediate impact for our defense.

I'm sure you're right about Reed and Rubin being the primary DT's on rushing downs. Personally, I think it is a mistake but who knows.

Clark is going to be a force this year. I just feel it.

LB's are a concern to me as well. We just don't seem to be very deep and talented after Wagner and Wright.

I don't share your concern about our DT depth. Rubin can sub behind Reed if needed and do a good job. They are both basically the same type of DT. I still think McDaniel can have a lot of success as the 3tech in spot duty, if not more.

Where I disagree the most with you is on Jefferson. While he still needs work he has been in the other teams backfield in every game so far this preseason. He has been getting pressure and making assisted tackles. Who can expect that much more from a rookie drafted in the 5th round?

I think he will be out starting 3tech within a year. He just needs more technique and experience. He will get it.

I still wonder about Hill as well. Do we really need another average DT taking up a spot from a younger guy with more upside? Personally, I would rather keep Bryant and let Hill go.

Well, that's just me.

Latest posts