Jimmy Graham

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Not trying to be too overly optimistic, but it seems they do believe Jimmy will be ready to rock soon.

The Seahawks waived 3 TE's last week (Helfet, Shields and Cottom) - even though Cottom was working at FB, he is still listed on the roster as a TE and can play both positions.

They did sign Joe Sommers, but he is probably just a camp body (along with Clayton Echard).

So that leaves Luke Willson, Nick Vannett and Brandon Williams. I have read a lot of positive press about Williams, who has been around in the league a few years (Carolina).

I think if they were really worried about Graham, we may have seen another move there by now.

Thoughts?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Weren't two of those (at least) essentially waived because of season ending injuries?

DJrmb

Reaction score
Not that I don't believe that Jimmy Graham could be close but they released all 3 of those "TE's" because they were all injured.

Cottom - Torn Achilles
Shields - Torn Achilles
Helfet - Broken foot

The only one that would have likely been able to come back to play sometime this year was Cooper Helfet which would have required them to use their IR/Designated to return which they will want to save for someone more important to the teams success.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The point is they are not bringing in replacements.

We could just go with Willson, Vannett and Williams. But I think it must be optimism with Graham as well.

lukerguy

Reaction score
From my understanding of the specific injury Graham sustained to the patellar tendon, getting back to full speed isn't the main hurdle. The main hurdle is avoiding re-injury to the lower half...

Apparently this is the most difficult injury scientifically speaking to recover from in the NFL without seeing loss of games or production in the future :(.

If anyone could do it, it would be Adrian Peterson... second, I'd take Jimmy Graham.

Largent80

Reaction score
In reality, if his injury is healed then he should just go all out. It's one of those deals where if he has to pussyfoot around he has a better chance of re-injury.

kearly

Reaction score
I will say that with Pete he is one of the sneakiest coaches in the league with injuries, so it's really hard to gauge the health of players based on Pete's words and actions. It also seems like Pete is one of those kinds of coaches who talks up bad players in the press to make those players feel encouraged, and I think that style of thinking sometimes influences his injury reports as well. Pete is an eternal optimist, and in general tends to err on the side of hopefulness.

That said, it is true that the seahawks have seemingly planned their offseason around the idea that Jimmy Graham would be contributing this year. Whether that's based on medical science or blind optimism, I'm not sure.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I'm actually starting to wonder if his injury was as serious as first reported?
My thought is that maybe it wasn't actually the patella tendon that was damaged...
Why would the team say any different during the healing process?
Let the rest of the league think Jimmy is damaged goods, who will never be the same.
Then, when he shows up in week one, and dominates!
They can all call it a miracle!

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
I like to think that JG's persistent presence on the sidelines bodes well for his own optimism, that it's not just PC sunshine.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
lukerguy":lxn0ssvx said:
From my understanding of the specific injury Graham sustained to the patellar tendon, getting back to full speed isn't the main hurdle. The main hurdle is avoiding re-injury to the lower half...

Apparently this is the most difficult injury scientifically speaking to recover from in the NFL without seeing loss of games or production in the future :(.

If anyone could do it, it would be Adrian Peterson... second, I'd take Jimmy Graham.

Interesting...... I have heard multiple media people/injury expert type say nobody has ever returned from a torn patellar tendon. Victor Cruz has been trying to for 2 years now. Guess Im wondering why you would make the comments I have underlined.

JPatera76

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2h2wgnaf said:
lukerguy":2h2wgnaf said:

Interesting...... I have heard multiple media people/injury expert type say nobody has ever returned from a torn patellar tendon. Victor Cruz has been trying to for 2 years now. Guess Im wondering why you would make the comments I have underlined.

Robbie Tobeck came back from the same injury and never missed game since. Chuck Darby ... Dont think he ever came back. I just dont think theres enough to say " nobody has ever returned" nfl wise. NBA atheletes it could be or might be something to check and see who came back etc etc

DJrmb

Reaction score
dogorama":pdo2gfed said:
Question: If Graham is cleared to play and we release him is all of his guaranteed money gone?

Yes, if Graham is cleared to play and we don't have to go through an injury settlement then all of his guaranteed money is paid. He does have a 2M roster bonus but that's only guaranteed if he is on the roster in 2017.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jimmy-graham/

dogorama

Reaction score
DJrmb":2emmcqev said:
dogorama":2emmcqev said:
Question: If Graham is cleared to play and we release him is all of his guaranteed money gone?

Yes, if Graham is cleared to play and we don't have to go through an injury settlement then all of his guaranteed money is paid. He does have a 2M roster bonus but that's only guaranteed if he is on the roster in 2017.

My understanding is that once you're cleared to play you are no longer injured and hence no injury settlement would be required.

DJrmb

Reaction score
dogorama":o6ijrpto said:
DJrmb":o6ijrpto said:
dogorama":o6ijrpto said:

My understanding is that once you're cleared to play you are no longer injured and hence no injury settlement would be required.

I believe you are correct. I just don't know if there's any special rule that if he can't get on with another team because he keeps failing physicals that he can claim anything from the injury or fight the "being cleared to play". I would assume not just I don't know for sure...

ivotuk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2kwtnknl said:
lukerguy":2kwtnknl said:

IIRC, Cruz injured the area that lukerguy is talking about. THere was something about how the player cannot being to rehab the lower half, until the patellar tendon is completely healed, and that a player can struggle transitioning from rehabing the patellar tendon, to rebuilding the muscles that required the tendon in order to function.

If i can find it again, I'll link the article.

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Jimmy Graham's road to recovery"

"It’s not only the quadriceps muscle that is affected with this injury; all of the lower-extremity muscles will suffer after an extended dormant period. Kaplan says he relies on early physical therapy for his athletes in order to begin activating all of the muscles potentially affected, even while the quadriceps is limited. Secondary compensation injuries can be a side product of a patellar tendon injury, often occurring on the opposite limb. Cruz, who tore his right patellar tendon, acknowledged as much when he injured his left calf during training camp this summer, according to the Star-Ledger."

“The reason I got the calf [injury originally] was from overcompensation from using the left leg for 10 months in a row. Things like that happen," Cruz said.

http://www.espn.com/blog/stephania-bell ... o-recovery