Russell Wilson is a traditional QB

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
At least according to Deion Sanders...

“Russell Wilson is closer to a traditional quarterback,” Sanders said. “The mold is (Tom) Brady. The mold is (Peyton) Manning. Russell Wilson is that type of guy with a lot of athleticism, Aaron Rodgers-esque. Cam Newton is a whole ‘nother dude. He’s not running a traditional offense. He’s running an offense with a little college tendency in it. Russell Wilson is not dabbing when he scores. Russell Wilson is a very polite, very conscious baseball player, very cerebral. He’s not going to do anything to threaten authority.”

Sanders said Newton is a totally different player.

“Cam, on the other hand,” Sanders said, “is Cam.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports ... rylink=cpy

REALLY? REALLY... after the last 4 years of hearing about how Russ isn't the prototypical QB, how he can't throw from the pocket, and is a Tarkenton/midget hybrid that will never be elite now suddenly he's more Brady/Rodgers-esque.

The undercurrent of this thought process of course is that he's boring, because he's safe. I really don't care about any of that, nor the topic of race that ends up being brought up by these comments (the mold Sanders referred to is stark white if you hadn't noticed). I mostly find the extreme media narrative shift hilarious.

Also the comparison of Wilson and Rodgers athletically is a joke, and I think Aaron is the best QB in the league.

kpak76

Reaction score
Timing is about right. QB's dont enter elite status until their 5th or 6th year.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Archer":1f6hsuxw said:

“Russell Wilson is closer to a traditional quarterback,” Sanders said. “The mold is (Tom) Brady. The mold is (Peyton) Manning. Russell Wilson is that type of guy with a lot of athleticism, Aaron Rodgers-esque. Cam Newton is a whole ‘nother dude. He’s not running a traditional offense. He’s running an offense with a little college tendency in it. Russell Wilson is not dabbing when he scores. Russell Wilson is a very polite, very conscious baseball player, very cerebral. He’s not going to do anything to threaten authority.”

REALLY? REALLY... after the last 4 years of hearing about how Russ isn't the prototypical QB, how he can't throw from the pocket, and is a Tarkenton/midget hybrid that will never be elite now suddenly he's more Brady/Rodgers-esque.

The undercurrent of this thought process of course is that he's boring, because he's safe. I really don't care about any of that, nor the topic of race that ends up being brought up by these comments (the mold Sanders referred to is stark white if you hadn't noticed). I mostly find the extreme media narrative shift hilarious.

Also the comparison of Wilson and Rodgers athletically is a joke, and I think Aaron is the best QB in the league.

It's all part of a movement to stash all other QB's neatly into 'traditional,' so they break out Cam into his own category, because obviously only somebody as 'uniquely gifted' as Cam belongs in it. :sarcasm_off:

lobohawk

Reaction score
So before he wasn't quite up to the standards of a traditional QB, but he provided a unique athleticism. Basically giving a compliment and throwing shade.

Flip the scenario and this year Russell is the highest rated QB and instead of bridging two skill sets rarely seen, he's not unique. Cam has played great this year, but his passing wasn't what I'd call top notch. His running is the threat teams have to deal with, not his passing.

Considering the source, the comments seem to reflect Sanders' personality more than anything. Cam is like Sanders, showy with a dash of look at me.

BigMeach

Reaction score
That article confuses me. Was there a lot of mention of Cams race before he made the comment about people scared of him because he is African american? Or whatever the comment was. Im sure if Wilson said things like that race would come up all the time in the media. I have no problem with him because of his ethnicity, I just think he should be flagged for excessive celebration as anyone else is when they celebrate for fifteen seconds.

blazen2392

Reaction score
Archer":1chaqnbn said:

Deon sanders is an idiot. The racial undertone in this article.....

He basically called Russell white by saying he is closer to a traditional QB. He can get out of here with that bullshit.

lobohawk

Reaction score
And people wondered where dumb thoughts like Wilson not being black enough come from. Comments like Sanders feed into that BS narrative. Like manure making plants grow.

Treghc

Reaction score
I don't think he's that far off. Newton is an entirely different threat from every other QB in the league when it comes to short yardage plays. He's an effing tank. Wilson, not so much.

Saying Wilson is a traditional QB is stupid, I agree. But Cam is a different weapon. And in that regard, I could see what Sanders means. Wilson may not be close to Brady or Manning, but is closer to them than Cam is.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sanders is going for contrast. He's out to set Cam apart, so the larger he makes that difference the better. Same thing Mike Rob has been doing lately, which disappoints me because he knows better.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Treghc":2amv8zso said:
I don't think he's that far off. Newton is an entirely different threat from every other QB in the league when it comes to short yardage plays. He's an effing tank. Wilson, not so much.

Saying Wilson is a traditional QB is stupid, I agree. But Cam is a different weapon. And in that regard, I could see what Sanders means. Wilson may not be close to Brady or Manning, but is closer to them than Cam is.
The media does what brings more ratings, so they will exaggerate accordingly. As far as Wilson being closer to traditional because of having less size and power than Cam, that is a stretch at best. The number of magic acts per season he pulls of with a combo of hands, feet and brains makes him equally non-traditional.
I think Cam's dabbing and sideline antics causes people to dig for even more reasons to annoint him 'same as no other,' and it's approaching really annoying levels.