DeShawn Shead would you tender him 2nd Round pick? ~2.6milli

ivotuk

Reaction score
I definitely would!

Listening to DD&M from last night, Clayton says it would cost around 2.6 million per year to tender him at the 2nd round. Per John, then the Seahawks could negotiate a multi-year contract from there.

IMHO, 2.6m would be cheap considering the way he has performed. Shead outplayed Carey Williams, and I think he would be just fine playing opposite of Sherman. Plus he has versatility, to play other positions.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore

Hawks46

Reaction score
No question.

Not only is he worth more than that, but we honestly can't afford to lose both him and Lane. It would probably be easier to lock up Shead than Lane, although we might be over valuing Lane a bit.

sutz

Reaction score
Cheaper than Williams was. :laugh:

Seriously, he's played well. Not all star well, maybe, but certainly DB depth well. Plus we get the chance to match if anybody makes an offer.

kearly

Reaction score
Seems like a no-brainer. Shead will likely get more than $2.6 million in UFA. Seattle can't afford to punch another hole in their corner group, and Shead is versatile enough to fill in at safety if needed.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Pretty sure he is ERFA, meaning we got him no matter what as long as he is tendered (last year the ERFA was $510k) he can only negotiate with Seattle and next year he will be an RFA. Basically we can keep Shead for 2 more years for about 3.25m.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
But 3 years ago...but 3 years ago...but 3 years ago.....No doubt in my mind. I would if I was the boss, tender him. But does our team tender very much? Not really. Cmon...Petey and Johnny.....

[youtube]0zwNUdk5roM[/youtube]

sutz

Reaction score
Barthawk":3ngbldwm said:
Pretty sure he is ERFA, meaning we got him no matter what as long as he is tendered (last year the ERFA was $510k) he can only negotiate with Seattle and next year he will be an RFA. Basically we can keep Shead for 2 more years for about 3.25m.
sportrac lists Shead as ERFA. :th2thumbs:

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Yes he is an exclusive rights free agent. HIs first 2 years didn't count towards free agency since he wasn't on the regular roster enough games.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
On all levels a resounding yes.

Shead has not only shown he can be a healthy effective contributor to the LOB, but that he's the kind of "system" player that can continue to develop into an even better player, like Maxwell, Browner, Thurmond and Lane before him.

IMO this is a no brainer. Position of need + dependable system player who understands what we're doing = yes.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":n6cpphtm said:
But 3 years ago...but 3 years ago...but 3 years ago.....No doubt in my mind. I would if I was the boss, tender him. But does our team tender very much? Not really. Cmon...Petey and Johnny.....

We tnedered Kearse at that level and everyone called him overpaid. Kearse has contributed more to this team than Shead.

But yes, you tender Shead at whatever level it takes to keep him on our team.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Do we know the other levels of tendering and what they cost?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Easy yes.

You can't pay Cary Williams the money they did, release him, and then not pay Shead a fraction of that amount.

This is essentially a drug test. If they don't tender him they are on drugs.

Barthawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2w7264m2 said:
Seahawkfan80":2w7264m2 said:

We tnedered Kearse at that level and everyone called him overpaid. Kearse has contributed more to this team than Shead.

But yes, you tender Shead at whatever level it takes to keep him on our team.

Kearse was a RFA, Shead is not. We tender him around 600k and he goes nowhere. Next year is when we have to figure out what level to tender him at.

crosfam

Reaction score
Tender now - negotiate a long term deal with value if at all possible. Even if he is just our fifth DB, first off the bench, we need that attitude and continuity.

HawkGA

Reaction score
$600k is a steal. I'm not convinced the $2.6 mil would be a good deal but at $600k, absolutely.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":334u3hts said:
$600k is a steal. I'm not convinced the $2.6 mil would be a good deal but at $600k, absolutely.
Hell, I think $2.6 mill is a decent deal for a guy who already has experience in our system and has proven to be a solid contributor. I would be surprised if they don't tender him at the ERFA rate. Like you said, a steal.

Then we have the choice next year at RFA or a long term deal. I think maybe JS knows what he is doing. ;)

McGruff

Reaction score
sutz":kyblih9i said:
HawkGA":kyblih9i said:
Hell, I think $2.6 mill is a decent deal for a guy who already has experience in our system and has proven to be a solid contributor. I would be surprised if they don't tender him at the ERFA rate. Like you said, a steal.

Then we have the choice next year at RFA or a long term deal. I think maybe JS knows what he is doing. ;)

I could be wrong on this, but IIRC when Jeron Johnson was a ERFA we paid him a higher one year deal than the ERFA rules required. This team does give credit to its contributors.

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":1dd703yn said:
HawkGA":1dd703yn said:

I'm not necessarily thinking the Seahawks wouldn't do $2.6 mil, but if I recall, there are different levels, right? He could tendered at not the 2nd round level, but maybe a 3rd or something a little lower. I would think teams would still likely shy away because of the monetary expense and the draft expense. Then the Hawks save a little money.