can someone fill me in on Rawls being injury prone?

rightbench

Reaction score
Hey all, I keep hearing about Rawls potentially being injury prone and not being able to take a "full workload" in the NFL.

Can someone let me know where this comes from? I understand a lineman fell on his ankle and bent him backwards this year and it broke. I understand from his wikipedia page that he had an injury his senior season that kept him out of a game or two, but everyone around here is talking as though he's Russell Okung.

Just wondering what information i'm missing that makes this obvious. I love the guy and think he's the future at RB for us as a 3 down back with great hands and awesome burst. Just want to know why the expectations of some are tempered more than mine. Thanks!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't think he is injury prone.

I also don't know that he is durable. He is on IR. That is what I know.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Not enough evidence to say he is injury prone, but also not enough evidence to say he is not injury prone. He has a physical running style. I think they would ideally add a 3rd option behind Rawls and Michael.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
We all heard him on the radio today saying that the cast is about ready to come off by the end of the month. He reassured us that he will be ready by Training Camp.

He's smart. He listened to his M.D. I broke my ankle and refused to wear a cast....initially. When the pain would not subside.......I wore a cast.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":108oi19o said:
We all heard him on the radio today saying that the cast is about ready to come off by the end of the month. He reassured us that he will be ready by Training Camp.

He's smart. He listened to his M.D. I broke my ankle and refused to wear a cast....initially. When the pain would not subside.......I wore a cast.

He also has the potential of a paycheck with a lot of zeros in a few years.

The Outfield

Reaction score
He did a lot of hard running this year and I thought he held up well. I bet no other player's ankle could sustain being bent back like that. Hopefully it was a freak accident sort of thing.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, what happened to Rawls would disable any player. That kind of stuff just happens in a violent game like football. He's a rookie for crying out loud. He got hurt his first season. I guess he was hurt in college, too, but having no knowledge about that injury I'm not going to jump on any "he's injury prone" bandwagon just yet.

I'm not saying we don't add more to the RB corps, especially with Marshawn's status a bit up in the air-I think he's finished his last season as a Seahawk, sadly. Frankly, I expect to draft an RB this off season. It's an area where you can always add depth and be grooming guys for the future.

tooshort

Reaction score
Go back and watch the play before his Injury, I said it when it happened and after rewatching that game I'm even more inclined to believe that he had a sprain/destabilization of the ligaments and joint before he toughed it out into the next (season ending) play.

I love his mentality, I love the fight, but it's a 19-20 game season if you plan on holding that Lombardi..If you feel something tweak, If something feels structurally wrong (and it isn't a pivotal game winning play in the playoffs) go to the sideline and get the staff diagnosis.

Davidess

Reaction score
What it came from was him not playing enough in college. Really didn't receive a workload that much.

out of the 42 games playable (not counting bowl games) Rawls played 28. that's 2/3 so that equates to about 10 1/2 games a year for a 16 game schedule.
Its funny. RBs almost have to find a nice medium. if you don't play much, you might be injury prone. if you play too much you might be injury prone.

We will wait to see how he does this offseason.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Hard to figure out how a broken bone in that situation makes you injury prone too!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sutz":n08wj878 said:
Yeah, what happened to Rawls would disable any player. That kind of stuff just happens in a violent game like football. He's a rookie for crying out loud. He got hurt his first season. I guess he was hurt in college, too, but having no knowledge about that injury I'm not going to jump on any "he's injury prone" bandwagon just yet.

I'm not saying we don't add more to the RB corps, especially with Marshawn's status a bit up in the air-I think he's finished his last season as a Seahawk, sadly. Frankly, I expect to draft an RB this off season. It's an area where you can always add depth and be grooming guys for the future.

The 'injury prone' label was derived from comments from one of his college coaches, who said something along the lines of he won't be able to stay on the field because his style of play is asking for injuries. Lynch also advised Rawls to dial back some of the defender-seeking shoulder finishes because he thought Rawls' size and weight wouldn't handle the continual abuse. We'll see...that's quite a pounding over 16 games. At least Lynch employs a stiff arm in lieu of using his shoulders as battering rams.

Largent80

Reaction score
Chad Brown was called injury prone after playing for years uninjured, then got snakebit towards the end of his career.

So, Rawls has a long way to go before that label goes on him.