Thomas Rawls injury update

timmat

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing his second season. Curious about his durability. It's the main reason all of the "move on from Marshawn" talk has me concerned.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Thomas Rawls is going to allow us to add a couple good players to this team. Assuming Lynch is cut.

timmat

Reaction score
...assuming Rawls can take the pounding and not be injury prone. This is a huge unknown. Everything else about him seemed great, but it was a small sample size.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
timmat":2qkvedgv said:
...assuming Rawls can take the pounding and not be injury prone. This is a huge unknown. Everything else about him seemed great, but it was a small sample size.
Fair point, but you simply can't bring an aging and now often injured Lynch back for that 12 mil cap hit. It's a cruel business, but his time in Seattle is over though he'll of course never be anything but an icon to Hawk fans.

That said, you go into next season with Rawls, Michael as your #2 and either Brown or a rook as your third RB.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
timmat":xtarxtud said:

He's shown enough potential to take the risk.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
$6.5 million is the additional cost to keep Lynch next year. Not $12 million. He counts $5 million against the cap whether we cut him or not, and his cap hit if we keep him is $11.5 million.

Given most of this year off, plus a full offseason to recover, it is hard to imagine replacing his likely productivity for $6.5 million. Now, whether he is a headache to the team, and whether his productivity is worth the headache plus the $6.5 million is a question I can't even begin to answer.

He has been the heart and soul of this team, but see that Seahawks team over there? That is Russell Wilson's team.

-bsd

2_0_6

Reaction score
Id like to grab someone like Alfred Morris or Lamar Miller to help ensure we have some coverage next year assuming Lynch is not back.

Greenhell

Reaction score
:th2thumbs: YES! I love the way he runs the ball.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Rawls injury news is good, but Lynch for this coming season is potentially more valuable to Seattle than the cap space.

Is there drama with Lynch?? Absolutely...!!

Is there a team better suited to deal with Marshawn than Seattle.....probably not....

The cap number is very manageable given the roster make up and there is still more value to keeping him vs not.

In a one year scenario of next year, would you want Arizona (who isn't going to win the Super Bowl this year), reloading with a Lynch and David Johnson tandem to take the pressure off an aging Carson Palmer next year?? There is more value in playing keep away with a valuable player like Lynch. We know his antics more than anyone, but he is either playing for Seattle or he retires. Lynch is the difference maker for next year between Seattle winning or preventing a Green Bay, Arizona or another NFC contender from acquiring him.

This is a year to year business and we can transition the franchise to Russell gradually after this season with Lynch....the more carries and wear and tear on Marshawn with Seattle, the more valuable he is to Thomas Rawls and Christine Micheal. I'd rather have Lynch on Seattle for one more year than having him running elsewhere for his last year or two. We also really don't know how much he has left, because our offensive line is so shaky, where he could get more mileage out of his carries elsewhere.

And yes, Belicheck would sign Marshawn tomorrow if he's a street free agent. It's worth keeping him one more year even at his salary and decreasing his usage and sparing Thomas Rawls from 250 to 300+ touches over 16 regular season games and 2-3 grueling playoff games and the Super Bowl next year. Rawls and Michael can be your tandem without sacrificing Lynch.

Schneider is going to ride this out wisely.....notice that Bruce Irvin even mentioned today he would be willing to take less to stay in Seattle...how much less is the question.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
timmat":3ksuf1bj said:

In this day and age you can find a pretty good rb in the mid rounds of the draft to team with him.

timmat

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2b5nvig8 said:
Id like to grab someone like Alfred Morris or Lamar Miller to help ensure we have some coverage next year assuming Lynch is not back.
Herein lies the problem with letting Lynch walk next year, and then turning around and bringing in a different veteran. Guys like Morris or Miller are what - $4 million? We're stuck with $5 million of Lynch whether he's here or not. So you can have another veteran for a net additional of $4, or Beast for a net additional of $6, and that's if he won't restructure. Dropping Lynch really makes no sense if you're going to turn around and pull in another vet that brings nowhere near what a healthy Lynch will.

2_0_6

Reaction score
timmat":3nt0fyhj said:
Hawk_Nation":3nt0fyhj said:
Herein lies the problem with letting Lynch walk next year, and then turning around and bringing in a different veteran. Guys like Morris or Miller are what - $4 million? We're stuck with $5 million of Lynch whether he's here or not. So you can have another veteran for a net additional of $4, or Beast for a net additional of $6, and that's if he won't restructure. Dropping Lynch really makes no sense if you're going to turn around and pull in another vet that brings nowhere near what a healthy Lynch will.

True...unless you trade him for a 6th or 6th and all his salary magically disappears

sutz

Reaction score
IIRC, Rawls got rolled up pretty good. It wasn't some freak thing where you'd say he got hurt on a nothing hit.

Hard to call him "injury prone" just yet. He was taking a pretty good pounding up until then without any negative effects visible. It was great news that he didn't require surgery, because that complicates things quite a bit, and could add weeks or even months to the recovery.

His build reminds me a bit of Wilson, not tall, but really stocky and muscular in build. Should be pretty durable.

As for Marshawn, the team will make that call. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me much either way, but I expect he'll be gone before training camp. Maybe before the draft. He already restructured, I doubt if they'd do that again.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2u8iphsy said:
timmat":2u8iphsy said:
Hawk_Nation":2u8iphsy said:

True...unless you trade him for a 6th or 6th and all his salary magically disappears

Regardless of what you trade him for, the $5M amortization of bonus is not going to disappear from the salary cap.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3s8ldhcq said:
wow long time to be in a cast for...guessing if he had surgery right away.

He broke his ankle. That's -ya know- like a body part that bears a lot of side load and weight?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sutz":tyrdvuc9 said:
IIRC, Rawls got rolled up pretty good. It wasn't some freak thing where you'd say he got hurt on a nothing hit.

Hard to call him "injury prone" just yet. He was taking a pretty good pounding up until then without any negative effects visible. It was great news that he didn't require surgery, because that complicates things quite a bit, and could add weeks or even months to the recovery.

His build reminds me a bit of Wilson, not tall, but really stocky and muscular in build. Should be pretty durable.

As for Marshawn, the team will make that call. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me much either way, but I expect he'll be gone before training camp. Maybe before the draft. He already restructured, I doubt if they'd do that again.

I agree and too, what are ML's intentions?, does he feel up to playing for another Year or two?, and will he still be as effective while running up behind the transitioning Offensive Line?
I don't know that Wilson wouldn't benefit a heck of a lot more by having an O-Line giving him better blocking and a pocket to step into, than to try and rely on intermittent & sporadic protection, and while I agree that he needs to have a running game to help take the load off, Rawls seems to be able to run pretty well, even when the O-Line was sputtering and sometimes dysfunctional.