Opposing defense question

ivotuk

Reaction score
From what I've gleaned, Russell's recent success in the pocket comes from the line being spread out a little more, making the passing lanes open quicker (or something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong).

Then I heard a commentator say that Zimmerman focused on that and shut it down early in the Minnesota game.

Does this sound like how it happened? If it is, I wonder what the chances are that the Panthers try to emulate the Vikings defense and whether or not they will be successful.

I know they won't have near the success that Minnesota had because we won't be seeing that kind of weather this weekend (unless you live near me where it's a balmy -13).

Thoughts?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ivotuk":1359qkz2 said:
From what I've gleaned, Russell's recent success in the pocket comes from the line being spread out a little more, making the passing lanes open quicker (or something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong).

Then I heard a commentator say that Zimmerman focused on that and shut it down early in the Minnesota game.

Does this sound like how it happened? If it is, I wonder what the chances are that the Panthers try to emulate the Vikings defense and whether or not they will be successful.

I know they won't have near the success that Minnesota had because we won't be seeing that kind of weather this weekend (unless you live near me where it's a balmy -13).

Thoughts?

Having one of the best front 7s in the league, I'm sure CAR will have a noticeable measure of success.... particularly with their speedy and smart LBers. That said, the cold WX in Minnesota cancelled out the advantages WRs like Baldwin and Lockett normally have, and it generally shut down anything resembling an effective passing game. With the long ball eliminated by Mother nature, Zimmerman was free to concentrate on the shorter stuff. The Hawks will undoubtedly have more success than they had against Minn (duh!), but the natural grass at B of A stadium isn't exactly ideal for some many of our players.

A healthy Jonathan Stewart added to an already-formidable/powerful rushing attack, which includes Cam as an integral part, makes Car ideally-suited to that field. The stout play from their guards sets the table. Lynch's return might end up being the great equalizer, hopefully he can get the right cleats fitted that allow him to make his cuts without his losing his feet.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Just watched Willie McGinest on NFLN and he showed the Vikings DE coming upfield while setting the edge, then the DTs holding the guards in place to prevent any escape routes. Can't find a clip of yet but I'll keep looking so I can post it here.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ivotuk":2591wqwt said:

Thoughts?
Yeah, that is exactly what they did. But as you said, Zimmer knew even a mid range passing game would be hard as hell in the cold.
2 things. Zimmer responded to the offense he saw weeks before. I already said in another thread that one of the hardest tasks in coaching is to ignore the last game you had vs a foe, and defend what they have done recently. Rivera has exactly that task, he has faced the same Seattle style of offense for several games over several years, and now there is something new on video. Which do you prepare for?
And weather allowing, Seattle doesn't have to play a short pass game from the spread, they can play deep and short from the same spread looks. THat is the great thing about a spread look, it is really easy to tell if Carolina is rushing more than 4, and when they declare only 4, you might have an extra tic for a deep ball.

The game plan in Minny morphed from lets do what we did last time to lets just not fumble. That won't be the case this time.

Latest posts