The Seahawks are just like the Steelers, so don't panic

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/the-seahaw ... e-patriots

The dynamic between the two teams and the AFC North/NFC West is very similar. The Pats enjoy a perfect storm — they are uniquely excellent while playing in a weak AFC East division. The Seahawks and Steelers just don’t have that luxury.

Ever since Pete Carroll arrived in Seattle it felt like he was building something similar to the Steelers. If Pittsburgh can endure the odd lost season or two over the years — there’s no reason to panic if that ends up being the case with the Seahawks.

Basically, the Steelers have had a few 8-8's and 9-7's over the years. They've also been to a few Super Bowls and a contender for years.

So no need for anyone to panic or call for star players to be traded etc.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Bad years happen. So far, this has been a season lost to development. It may just finish that way. I recall John Elway having a 5-11 year in between all the winning years. It happens.

mistaowen

Reaction score
It's crazy how this team could be 1-8 (Bears had no intention of winning) or undefeated depending on different fourth quarter outcomes. They've had the lead in every fourth quarter this year and yet are under .500. The talent is there to remain in the Superbowl window for awhile, there's just something off about this year. You see flashes of dominance for 2.5 quarters of the game and then complete garbage for the rest.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3n4ii8zx said:

The dynamic between the two teams and the AFC North/NFC West is very similar. The Pats enjoy a perfect storm — they are uniquely excellent while playing in a weak AFC East division. The Seahawks and Steelers just don’t have that luxury.

Ever since Pete Carroll arrived in Seattle it felt like he was building something similar to the Steelers. If Pittsburgh can endure the odd lost season or two over the years — there’s no reason to panic if that ends up being the case with the Seahawks.

Basically, the Steelers have had a few 8-8's and 9-7's over the years. They've also been to a few Super Bowls and a contender for years.

Absolutely agreed that there's no reason to panic for Hawks fans, but the Steelers comparison is ridiculous and wildly premature.

The Steelers have had three losing seasons in the last 26 years (not counting their likely winning season this year).

Not counting this year (or the Hawks losing record so far this year) the Hawks have had three losing seasons in the last six years.

Not at all discounting that the Hawks have been a very good team for the last three years, but looking at the last 36 months and projecting out for another 20+ years to make a comparison is just pretty crazy.

TL;DR Hawks fans absolutely shouldn't be panicking, but LOL at the Steelers comparison. Get back to me in a decade or two. ;)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sometimes you gotta' face reality, and this is just not a very good football team. Arizona is clearly a better team, and yes that hurt to say :lol:

WAY too many factors to even list, and it's a big list. They just don't have it this year, it happens.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1r2cztlf said:
Absolutely agreed that there's no reason to panic for Hawks fans, but the Steelers comparison is ridiculous and wildly premature.

:lol:

Go back to the webzone and prepare for another horrendous pasting this weekend.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It would get kinda boring if we went to the Superbowl every year. I actually wouldn't mind having a 8-8/9-7 year if that means coming back stronger next year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Good article. The talent is still there just need to shore up a couple of huge holes like the o line. People in other threads are talking about drafting a new QB and benching Wilson which is laughable. This team is set up very well for the future and heck may even figure it out this year

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thing is 9-7 seasons are no guarantee the team will come back stronger the next year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3gnrq1d1 said:
Popeyejones":3gnrq1d1 said:

:lol:

Go back to the webzone and prepare for another horrendous pasting this weekend.

The nice thing about being a 9ers fan this year is anything except a blowout loss is a pleasant surprise. It's really a can't lose proposition. :lol:

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Popeyejones":19xxe3bt said:
theENGLISHseahawk":19xxe3bt said:

The Steelers have had three losing seasons in the last 26 years (not counting their likely winning season this year).

Not counting this year (or the Hawks losing record so far this year) the Hawks have had three losing seasons in the last six years.

Not at all discounting that the Hawks have been a very good team for the last three years, but looking at the last 36 months and projecting out for another 20+ years to make a comparison is just pretty crazy.

TL;DR Hawks fans absolutely shouldn't be panicking, but LOL at the Steelers comparison. Get back to me in a decade or two. ;)
You set up your own straw man and disagreed with that instead of what is being said. It's not a comparison of the franchise accomplishments over the long haul. This comparison was very specific to THIS era of the two teams. It's more about how the two teams are loaded with talent and have what it takes to win yet suffer through challenges (injuries, etc.) while remaining a known power valiantly competing despite their circumstances.

If you watched the SNF game, Cris Collinsworth even said that Seattle and Pittsburgh are the two teams no other teams want to see in the playoffs because they're each teams that could enter the tournament as Wildcards and win it all. That sort of speaks to what is being said here. That wouldn't likely be said about just any team.

So, it's most definitely a fair comparison and not at all a stretch unless you are just a fan of a team that doesn't want to hear that even when your rival struggles they're still respected to the point of having such mentions about them.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There was another thread on this earlier, but it is a comparison I made months ago so I think it is spot on.

Look at all the similarities:

Steelers had a team known for their defense and run game, so did we we. Both even had the game changing uber athletic safeties that played more physically than most free safeties.

Steelers had a young QB that was asked to not make turnovers and ride the defense + run game. So do we.

Both the Steelers and Seahawks suffered soul crushing losses in the post season on essentially one play. Theirs was an overtime pass by Tebow to win the game against them, and ours is was the Missed Marshawn, where we just decided to go away from our primary threat near the goalline, for either a ridiculous reason or a marketing misstep.

The Steelers were faced with depletion of their roster (and coaching) and so had to switch from a primarily defensive strength to a primarily offensive. It had to move from run game being the primary driver to the pass game.

That seems to be the Seahawk plan (not a plan I am happy about but one I understand).

But with that comparison comes a rolling back of expectations. This is going to be a team that is still dangerous and a threat in the playoffs (in the years we make it). But the days of just expecting to win every home game and demanding SB appearances are probably gone.

I think we are 8-8 this year, maybe 9-10 wins next (assuming Wilson stops taking vacations before big games).

It should be noted that even with all the things the Steelers did right in the changeover, they have been little better than a .500 team since (key injuries skew this though). Last year they squeaked into the playoffs and lost, but they are nowhere near the threat they were, and it might be a few years before the Hawks are as well.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Pittsburgh were 11-5 last season and won the AFC North. Not sure they squeaked into the playoffs.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":321olwgp said:
You set up your own straw man and disagreed with that instead of what is being said...

You're absolutely right that the writer is just refering to the Rape years.

That said, I think it's basically impossible to talk about sustained success and the Steelers and just talk about the Rape years. We're talking about a team that has had six losing seasons in the last 43 years. For me, it's just impossible to evoke sustained success and the Steelers without evoking that history.

I mean, think about it this way:

The Seahawks have had three years of winning seasons.

The Steelers run of sustained success started four years before the Seahawks were even formed as a team.

FWIW, like the author, as I already said in both the first and the last sentence of my post you're disagreeing with, I believe that Hawks fans absolutely need not panic if the team has a bad record this year; the implication is that I too believe they could have a "down" year and be totally fine moving forward. Despite that, I still think evoking the Steelers to make that point really misses the mark.

TeamoftheCentury":321olwgp said:
So, it's most definitely a fair comparison and not at all a stretch unless you are just a fan of a team that doesn't want to hear that even when your rival struggles they're still respected to the point of having such mentions about them.

Yeah, you got me. I think that even if the Seahawks end up having a down year, their fans need not panic over that because I'm a vengeful 9ers fan. That makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't think evoking the Steelers is a bad comparison because I'm a 9ers fan, I think it's a bad comparison because, as I've already said, "Hawks fans absolutely shouldn't be panicking, but LOL at the Steelers comparison. Get back to me in a decade or two." TBF I should have said three or four decades.

The Hawks have a really good team and are well positioned moving into the future, but --and I know you don't want to hear this -- it's stuff like this that fuels all the "2012s" jokes about the fanbase. When you guys start chanting "3-pete" after the first Super Bowl win in franchise history, or evoke the sustained success of the Steelers because the Seahawks are 4-5 it's just begging for that stuff. Not saying you should care what other people think, but this is where it comes from.

bighawk

Reaction score
From all the games I have seen the coaching staff is having an identity crisis Carroll wants to be a running team but the personnel is starting to resemble a passing oriented team. They need to fix that first but in my opinion they can be both. This offense has explosive potential but I think Carroll needs to loosen the reigns and sometime start games out passing to open up the running game. Rawls looks impressive every time I see him run the football, try a little no huddle every now and then. The defenses only problem is the secondary communication and injuries with Lane out and Burley as well as Simon. I believe they will be fine but the identity needs to be re-established.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great post. I heard a similar comment on TV except it went:

"The Seattle Seahawks and the Pittsburgh Steelers are teams that nobody wants to see in the playoffs."

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2z6m087j said:
I don't think evoking the Steelers is a bad comparison because I'm a 9ers fan, I think it's a bad comparison because, as I've already said, "Hawks fans absolutely shouldn't be panicking, but LOL at the Steelers comparison. Get back to me in a decade or two." TBF I should have said three or four decades.

Have you read the piece?

Missed the point of the article twice now.

Nobody is comparing Seattle historically to the Steelers.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2eam76os said:
Popeyejones":2eam76os said:

Have you read the piece?

Missed the point of the article twice now.

Nobody is comparing Seattle historically to the Steelers.

Give a shot at reading the first two sentences of my post you're selectively quoting. Here they are again:

You're absolutely right that the writer is just refering to the Rape years.

That said, I think it's basically impossible to talk about sustained success and the Steelers and just talk about the Rape years.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
You're still missing the point.

You're focusing too much on the timescale of Pittsburgh's general success. This is about the similarities between this team and the Steelers after they won their first Super Bowl with Big Ben, the similarities between the current NFC West and AFC North and the two starting Qb's.

As another user stated, you've just started a straw man argument that is starting to dominate the thread. This is the Seahawks section of the forum. Nobody's interested pal.