The Seahawks are just like the Steelers, so don't panic

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
NINEster":1tvog85m said:
ivotuk":1tvog85m said:
Great post. I heard a similar comment on TV except it went:

"The Seattle Seahawks and the Pittsburgh Steelers are teams that nobody wants to see in the playoffs."

The problem with this statement is that these two teams will be wildcards as playoff teams, so the scary factor is noticeably reduced.
Actually, that comment was by Cris Collinsworth and it was more specific than this. He said they are the two teams no other teams want to see make the playoff cutoff because they both have the potential to win it all as a Wildcard. That was how significant these teams could potentially be in the tournament and the point of what was said.

I think it's more about being the hottest team going into the playoffs, but it doesn't hurt to be one of those teams that has known potential that could be unleashed.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1e4isa8n said:
TeamoftheCentury":1e4isa8n said:
You set up your own straw man and disagreed with that instead of what is being said...

You're absolutely right that the writer is just refering to the Rape years.

That said, I think it's basically impossible to talk about sustained success and the Steelers and just talk about the Rape years. We're talking about a team that has had six losing seasons in the last 43 years. For me, it's just impossible to evoke sustained success and the Steelers without evoking that history.

I mean, think about it this way:

The Seahawks have had three years of winning seasons.

The Steelers run of sustained success started four years before the Seahawks were even formed as a team.

FWIW, like the author, as I already said in both the first and the last sentence of my post you're disagreeing with, I believe that Hawks fans absolutely need not panic if the team has a bad record this year; the implication is that I too believe they could have a "down" year and be totally fine moving forward. Despite that, I still think evoking the Steelers to make that point really misses the mark.

TeamoftheCentury":1e4isa8n said:
So, it's most definitely a fair comparison and not at all a stretch unless you are just a fan of a team that doesn't want to hear that even when your rival struggles they're still respected to the point of having such mentions about them.

Yeah, you got me. I think that even if the Seahawks end up having a down year, their fans need not panic over that because I'm a vengeful 9ers fan. That makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't think evoking the Steelers is a bad comparison because I'm a 9ers fan, I think it's a bad comparison because, as I've already said, "Hawks fans absolutely shouldn't be panicking, but LOL at the Steelers comparison. Get back to me in a decade or two." TBF I should have said three or four decades.

The Hawks have a really good team and are well positioned moving into the future, but --and I know you don't want to hear this -- it's stuff like this that fuels all the "2012s" jokes about the fanbase. When you guys start chanting "3-pete" after the first Super Bowl win in franchise history, or evoke the sustained success of the Steelers because the Seahawks are 4-5 it's just begging for that stuff. Not saying you should care what other people think, but this is where it comes from.
You're evoking history? Then be specific and accurate. The Seahawks have had 17 winning seasons. Can't apologize for when Seattle was awarded a franchise. In the Big Ben Steelers era, the Seahawks have had 7 winning seasons and 8 playoff appearances. One of those was as a 7-9 team that defeated the defending SB Champs. So, I don't know where you get "3 winning seasons" if you're arguing from your defined era. You say there isn't anything to it that you're a Niners fan, but you make it hard for any of us to see otherwise. Of course it is. You're here to see how close you can walk to the line of rubbing us wrong, yet remain tolerable enough. Lol. It's actually a pretty good tactic. Just be honest.

I didn't say you're vengeful. You projected that on me.

Since your case doesn't add up... you now make an unnecessary statement about our fanbase? What others think of our fanbase doesn't have anything to do with whether there's similarities between this eras' Steelers and Seahawks. Yet, you throw that comment in there. You realize just because YOU feel that way doesn't mean it's a consensus, right? I have lots of friends that are fans of several other teams and we talk football often every week. I don't hear that from them. You don't need to come in here and try to educate us. Lol. I know you don't want to hear that, though. ;)