PFF: Justin Britt most improved OG in 2Q of season

Alexander

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Ben/status/662405957331361794[/tweet]

This seems consistent with what we've seen this season, i.e., he was straight-up awful in the first few games, but has played relatively well the last couple of games. Hopefully the whole line continues to improve as the season goes on. Picking up the blitz against AZ next week will be a big test for the O-line, Wilson, and the coaching staff.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Interesting... that pass block score is woeful. Improvement is always good though!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":lcswmyuf said:
Interesting... that pass block score is woeful. Improvement is always good though!

Britt's pass blocking against Dallas was the best that it has been since he moved to guard.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
You mean a lineman with talent may take some time to get used to a new position? Wow, who knew!?

Seriously, this is very encouraging.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":nn0fip0l said:
You mean a lineman with talent may take some time to get used to a new position? Wow, who knew!?

This!

Several of these guys have never played the position before this season. I know it sucks having to learn throughout the season risking injury to Russell and losing some games but saving cap money while developing guys is the price. I dont think even now we can judge accurately the talent of our offensive line. After this season and maybe next will be a better picture. How many other positions take time to develop. A WR usually takes a year or two, a QB needs 3-5 years to start hitting there prime, and pretty much any other position needs development time. And that is even with round 1-3 picks for people that have played the position there whole lives. SO why is everyone so quick to judge the quality of these guys after half a season with no previous experience with it?

To partially answer my own question I think the fact we have 3 guys in there like this REALLY amplifies any problems. This is not there fault. They are being great team players. If anything we can blame the coaches. IMHO this is just the drawback to the system and the team we have built. No easy quick fix here.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":dijwpyp1 said:
HawkFan72":dijwpyp1 said:

This!

Several of these guys have never played the position before this season. I know it sucks having to learn throughout the season risking injury to Russell and losing some games but saving cap money while developing guys is the price. I dont think even now we can judge accurately the talent of our offensive line. After this season and maybe next will be a better picture. How many other positions take time to develop. A WR usually takes a year or two, a QB needs 3-5 years to start hitting there prime, and pretty much any other position needs development time. And that is even with round 1-3 picks for people that have played the position there whole lives. SO why is everyone so quick to judge the quality of these guys after half a season with no previous experience with it?

To partially answer my own question I think the fact we have 3 guys in there like this REALLY amplifies any problems. This is not there fault. They are being great team players. If anything we can blame the coaches. IMHO this is just the drawback to the system and the team we have built. No easy quick fix here.

The frustrating part comes when you spend 3-5 years developing the talent, only to watch them leave. The Hawks won't pay them to preserve the salary cap for other positions, so the linemen finally hit their stride only to go somewhere else. For example, Carp and Giacomini are playing really good on the Jets O-line, which is one of the better lines in football this season. Other teams get to reap the benefits of the Hawks development process and the Hawks can't afford to keep them.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2eewratq said:
Year of The Hawk":2eewratq said:
HawkFan72":2eewratq said:

This!

The frustrating part comes when you spend 3-5 years developing the talent, only to watch them leave. The Hawks won't pay them to preserve the salary cap for other positions, so the linemen finally hit their stride only to go somewhere else. For example, Carp and Giacomini are playing really good on the Jets O-line, which is one of the better lines in football this season. Other teams get to reap the benefits of the Hawks development process and the Hawks can't afford to keep them.

I agree. Very frustrating. Maybe Pete and John are still learning and will maybe sway some cap room to the Oline when the time comes. This year seemed like a bad time to look for cap room for the front line. Lets just hope these guys have an accelerated learning curve so se can get some use before we let them get paid somewhere else.

StoneCold

Reaction score
HawkFan72":25q1nten said:
Year of The Hawk":25q1nten said:
HawkFan72":25q1nten said:

This!

I don't know if you can say they reap and we don't as they are paying for them and not paying someone else. I'd rather have the Hawks overall roster than the Jets. Yes we are struggling at Oline at the moment, but lets wait and see where it all falls out by seasons end. Every team has to scrimp at some positions.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":3uprzcr8 said:
HawkFan72":3uprzcr8 said:
Year of The Hawk":3uprzcr8 said:
HawkFan72":3uprzcr8 said:

This!

I don't know if you can say they reap and we don't as they are paying for them and not paying someone else. I'd rather have the Hawks overall roster than the Jets. Yes we are struggling at Oline at the moment, but lets wait and see where it all falls out by seasons end. Every team has to scrimp at some positions.

True. It just feels like crude when we dated the fat chick and when she loses the weight she leaves us.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I was going on and on to a coworker annd CCYF coach today about one of the few things that really, really bugs me about Cable is that he keeps taking LTs who's anchor foot is their left and also have a natural kick drop for the left and putting them on the right side. It's like training someone who is left handed to be right handed and vice versa. You can train all your life and it might become serviceable, but will never be natural. So many times I saw both Carp and Britt with their feet almost square to the LOS even with the DE/OLB lined up wide and it's really because they just couldn't kick drop and open and then anchor on that foot. They'd just get pushed over. That happened to Bailey in the playoffs and the fans jumped all over him. We did that with Carp and we did that with Britt as initial career moves. What you see on the right side doesn't usually translate to the left and vice versa sort of like tackle vs guard. Hopefully Cable has learned by now.

But anyway, while highly encouraging that Britt has improved so much, it's not necessarily surprising because he was really pretty bad. Stunts and general handoffs on intentional slants to free up blitzes was sorely lacking and he was getting beat bad, albeit never really been physically owned. His mistakes were mostly mental and hopefully the trend of improvement continues. Kudos to him.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
When you are hands down the worst right tackle in the league in 2014 and then are hands down the worst LG in the league, it's hard not to improve on what you did before. He's still horrible and was a disastrous draft pick but he has shown improvement from god awful to just bad.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
FormerEvil":1lo2l42i said:
He's still horrible and was a disastrous draft pick but he has shown improvement from god awful to just bad.

Just, no. He was horribly misutilized by the Hawks in a way that was doomed to failure from the get go. He is neither a tackle, nor a right sided guy (despite Cable's claims to the contrary). At the NFL level, he is a natural left guard who had to try to adjust to the right tackle position. That made him a step slow because he had to think about every move, rather the letting it come naturally. Early this season, he had to retrain himself to stop thinking about every move. As he relaxes into the LG role, I think he will be above average.

This was very much a left handed guy being forced to write right handed scenario. Now he has to retrain to use his left hand. Ultimately, it is what comes naturally.

I can understand why we utilized him at RT last year as we had a good left guard in Carp and Britt was a serviceable right tackle, and our RT alternative made Britt look like an all pro. I think the switch should have happened immediately after Carp left, and we should have been looking for a replacement RT in the offseason.

I actually thought Glow was being brought in to groom at RT (still a good possibility), and it may be that they thought they could get away with the RT Britt thing just long enough for Glow to develop. Britt regressed at RT in the offseason, and a change had to be made.

It's been trial by fire this year, but the line is gelling and on trajectory to be league average to slightly above average by the end of the year. Plug in some of our developmental guys in the offseason, and I think we are looking pretty good going into next year. The big question is LT though. It is unclear what we should do there.

-bsd.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3dfzl0cn said:
FormerEvil":3dfzl0cn said:
He's still horrible and was a disastrous draft pick but he has shown improvement from god awful to just bad.

Just, no. He was horribly misutilized by the Hawks in a way that was doomed to failure from the get go. He is neither a tackle, nor a right sided guy (despite Cable's claims to the contrary). At the NFL level, he is a natural left guard who had to try to adjust to the right tackle position. That made him a step slow because he had to think about every move, rather the letting it come naturally. Early this season, he had to retrain himself to stop thinking about every move. As he relaxes into the LG role, I think he will be above average.

This was very much a left handed guy being forced to write right handed scenario. Now he has to retrain to use his left hand. Ultimately, it is what comes naturally.

I can understand why we utilized him at RT last year as we had a good left guard in Carp and Britt was a serviceable right tackle, and our RT alternative made Britt look like an all pro. I think the switch should have happened immediately after Carp left, and we should have been looking for a replacement RT in the offseason.

I actually thought Glow was being brought in to groom at RT (still a good possibility), and it may be that they thought they could get away with the RT Britt thing just long enough for Glow to develop. Britt regressed at RT in the offseason, and a change had to be made.

It's been trial by fire this year, but the line is gelling and on trajectory to be league average to slightly above average by the end of the year. Plug in some of our developmental guys in the offseason, and I think we are looking pretty good going into next year. The big question is LT though. It is unclear what we should do there.

-bsd.

I think that is true of most of our O-line. I could see it getting better by the end of the year too. I just hoped that the gelling would have happened already. I suppose I expected too much. Of course expecting rookies to go up against experienced defensive players....and perform as professionals with several years under their belt in their positions..was wrong too. Go Hawks.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Arizona will be a much bigger test for Britt. They will blitz the hell out of us.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Nothing but good news here. Anyone who ever thought he was going to pick up playing guard in less than half a season was crazy.

Honestly, I think RT is a bigger problem than the interior of the line. I just don't think they're ever going to be able to run the way they want with Gilliam in there. But Bailey's pass protection from that side is abysmal.

Honestly, I'm getting Glowinski a bunch of reps at RT during this extended break if I'm the Seahawks.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
FormerEvil":3rjj2qg5 said:
When you are hands down the worst right tackle in the league in 2014 and then are hands down the worst LG in the league, it's hard not to improve on what you did before. He's still horrible and was a disastrous draft pick but he has shown improvement from god awful to just bad.

I find it hard to believe that Britt is absolutely ("hands down") the worst left guard and right tackle in the league. I find it even more unbelievable that you know all starting and backup players for these positions for every team in the league and are able to gauge their play against Britt's. Can you even name all 120+ of them?

FormerEvil

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1yx5zrpo said:
FormerEvil":1yx5zrpo said:

I find it hard to believe that Britt is absolutely ("hands down") the worst left guard and right tackle in the league. I find it even more unbelievable that you know all starting and backup players for these positions for every team in the league and are able to gauge their play against Britt's. Can you even name all 120+ of them?

In 2014 Justin Britt was the worst rated Right Tackle in all of the NFL by PFF. I don't need to be able to name all the Tackles to be able to read and see that. We aren't talking about practice squad players here. We are talking about qualifying Tackles.