The return of the i-formation

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Despite my many misgivings about Bevell, and the Seahawks offense I was very excited to see this formation used again. It seemed to work very well for Rawls and the rushing offense, I hope we can continue to use the i-formation. I feel as if this gave more credence to the Seahawks play action passes as well, no empirical evidence for this, just something I remember seeing.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I wish we could have seen even more of it, particularly on that ill-fated 3rd and 4. It forces defenses to commit to the run in both directions, and makes play action more difficult to stop. A deadly formation for the Seahawks if used correctly.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3oovih02 said:
I wish we could have seen even more of it, particularly on that ill-fated 3rd and 4. It forces defenses to commit to the run in both directions, and makes play action more difficult to stop. A deadly formation for the Seahawks if used correctly.
We definitely saw more of it then we have seen in a very long time, I really hope the Seahawks continue to use this formation, especially since we have two fullbacks on our roster.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Better than constantly rolling out empty set. Nothing more infuriating than seeing empty set after empty set or empty set on third and short yardage. Lets just tell them we are throwing. No chance at a run on third and 4 or 5.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
BC HAWK":2wfchfcy said:
Just Curious , what is the i formation.

Wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but it's when the RB and or FB align behind the qb who is under center.
Offers a quick hit into the line of scrimmage.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":30q0ghae said:
BC HAWK":30q0ghae said:

Wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but it's when the RB and or FB align behind the qb who is under center.
Offers a quick hit into the line of scrimmage.

Here's a visual if you are one of the types that can't see things through reading.

300px-I_formation.svg.png

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
It was very refreshing seeing Russ under center so much. I think it indicated a movement back to our roots as a philosophy to pound the rock. Just needed to demoralize on the final 15 and this would have been the win we needed to turn the corner.

RussB

Reaction score
BC HAWK":1zdqn5am said:
Its like a singleback formation except the fullback lines up right in front of the runningback. You can either run it up the gut with the FB or use the FB as an extra blocker.
ieJoVfppuU1vJ.gif

^^^^^

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'm not so petty as to take credit for calling this last week, but it sure is gratifying to see something I want work out so well. I could only listen to the game yesterday, but I got the impression that we went to more single back and empty sets in the 4th Qtr, but especially in OT. Was that the case, or did everything just sort of flop?

sutz

Reaction score
I kind of miss the pistol, too. Sort of that hybrid of the I and the shotgun. ;)

Chawker

Reaction score
The I formation, to run it effectively you must be committed to the running game and the play action will open up the center of the field for the TE on a seam route, Best used earily to mid 3rd quarter on a second down and medium yardage like 2 & 7, But you must first be able to run successfully thoughout the first half. Ground Chuck stile.
The only draw back is Lynch isn't a fan of running behind a full back. Never the less the I formation opens up all kinds of interesting possibilities sweeps, off tackle runs and easy too set up for max protection on passing plays.

BC HAWK

Reaction score
Ha, bobblehead not being sarcastic. I kind of thought that that was it I just wasn't sure , thanks for the replies.