Russ is shell shocked

seabowl

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of hate for Russ on this board. With this said I truly believe Russ has been overwhelmed with the lack of consistent support on the OL. When he first came up I'm sure he had a lot more confidence in the OL. Now from one snap to the next he just doesn't have any consistent protection and thus he has somewhat regressed as a passer as the gameplan as drawn up is thrown out the window. With the losses the OL has sustained it's understandable but starting this offseason they really need to stop with the projects and find good (great not needed) lineman that have SOME experience especially at the NFL level playing the position. Once Russ gets comfortable that he'll have consistent protection again he will again ascend to the top of the heap of QB's. Until then expect some of the same.

Just my opinion as a Russ fan.

DeeHawks

Reaction score
seabowl":2kotycqj said:
I know there is a lot of hate for Russ on this board. With this said I truly believe Russ has been overwhelmed with the lack of consistent support on the OL. When he first came up I'm sure he had a lot more confidence in the OL. Now from one snap to the next he just doesn't have any consistent protection and thus he has somewhat regressed as a passer as the gameplan as drawn up is thrown out the window. With the losses the OL has sustained it's understandable but starting this offseason they really need to stop with the projects and find good (great not needed) lineman that have SOME experience especially at the NFL level playing the position. Once Russ gets comfortable that he'll have consistent protection again he will again ascend to the top of the heap of QB's. Until then expect some of the same.

Agree ! I wish they would STOP with the OL "projects" and get some decent linemen ! !

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Didnt get a chance to watch the game today but it would really suck if he gets David Carr, Joey Harrington syndrome because of our crappy o'line.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Why do they insist on dropping him back as a pocket passer?
I just don't see us having a offensive line that can support this on a regular basis. Wilson needs to roll out left, or right, not give the D a standing target and allowing Wilson to look for receivers or evade the pass rush.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
I'm not going to bash Russ.

I just want him to audible out of a called play on a critical 3rd down.
Just call a play yourself that YOU are comfortable with.

He's looked scatterbrained on big time downs.

northseahawk

Reaction score
I don't know what is expected out of the oline. Which 5 oline man can block 8 guys constantly??!

It's his and the OCs fault that he can't find a way to make teams stop sending 8 guys blitzing play after play.

If the OC can't figure it out, then he needs to audible out of the plays for quick hits. Just watch what the other great qbs do. They make the defenses pay the second time if the team blitz 8 again.

As smart as he seems, i just think RW just truly lacks the intelligence of a great qb.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That was clearly a beaten down Russ that I saw in the press conference.

He was still saying the same stuff but man, his energy and enthusiasm is sucked dry.

Bevell did that to him. And if you support that clown, then you are helping to keep the guy that is killing the best QB we have had in years.

I have no idea why Bevell is too stupid to realize his QB cannot be Tark every single down to pull his tail from the fire.

I do think our OL was still bad but nowhere near as bad as last week, and I don't think having a better OL would have prevented our incompetent OC from calling plays that would get Russ hammered and still not give us 1st downs.

Blaming Wilson when he has to overcome his own coaches is a bit much.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
I thought the OLine was pretty average today, which is a vast improvement. We won't be blaming the OLine much longer going forward. Get it out while you can.

Russell needs to play better if we are going to need to score 20+ points per game in order to win. It's just that simple. It's my gut feeling opinion after watching every play in that game today, that he too many crucial plays on the field.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
It's not Bevell. It's the Caroll offensive philosophy.
Go ahead and change coordinators, it's not going to change.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
O-Line was very good today. We should give them their dues, when they played well.
To me, there were three key plays today, which decided the game.
1. The INT from Russell. I still don't understand why he rushed to run a play and forced the ball on first down to Jimmy.
2. Both Kam Chancellor mental mistakes, which resulted in two touch downs by Bengals.
3. Our inability to move the ball in the second half. I don't blame the O-Line for it. We had good yardage on first and second down. We chose to pass on 3rd down ...

There were other small things, which didn't go our way and could have made a massive difference.
1. Locket catch non catch ... would have been huge, if he just kept one more foot inbounds
2. Bennett foul on Dalton after Earl's INT. We could have scored 7, but we got 3.
3. A couple of bad plays by Okung: holding, false start, personal foul, ... etc.

chris98251

Reaction score
O-Line was very good today. We should give them their dues, when they played well.

3. A couple of bad plays by Okung: holding, false start, personal foul, ... etc.

Not to be an jerk but this is a O line issue and has been for a long time.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
chris98251":1q59g5li said:

Not to be an jerk but this is a O line issue and has been for a long time.

Okung and Bennet just have to get their damn penalites every freaking game..I swear...its like clockwork...One false start or holding for Okung and offsides for Bennet...its rediculous

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Criticism is not hate. I've only seen a couple on this this board who will not accept Wilson,,,like 2. In my opinion he really does not look as prepared as he has in previous seasons. Is it Bevell and O line? Yes but Russ has overcome previous avalanches but not really this year.

TwilightError

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":6w6ecnw1 said:
Criticism is not hate.

This. Wilson is a Seahawks legend even if he quits today but he is not beyond criticism if he underperforms like he did in the Bengals game.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TwilightError":1l3giu5c said:
seahawkfreak":1l3giu5c said:
Criticism is not hate.

This. Wilson is a Seahawks legend even if he quits today but he is not beyond criticism if he underperforms like he did in the Bengals game.

If he was done after this season I would still wear his Jersey proudly. First QB to bring us to a superbowl win, and the QB of a back to back superbowl stretch.

This feels like his rookie year. Offense spuddering and not doing great and then last half they turned it on

Threedee

Reaction score
This was clearly our O Line's best game of the season (provided lots of rush yards, allowed for some great pass plays, and Dalton was under much more pressure than Wilson was). To me that goes as a win for Cable, who can continue to claim that the project is coming along for another week. It also exposes Bevell more, and hopefully the press will pick up on it and place more heat on play calling and offensive scheming.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":23s05o8e said:

I couldn't agree more.
In retrospect, I'm saddened to have seen Cable so jubilantly inspired with the ONE great Run Blocking Play where Rawls took it to the house, because I don't want him feeling that his O-Line Coaching has arrived and isn't the root of the problem on Offense.
The Defense messed up their fair share of this game, but the O-Line owns a lot of blame for all the stalled plays too.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
TwilightError":2p73plil said:
seahawkfreak":2p73plil said:
Criticism is not hate.

I was wrong by saying hate. Criticism is the more accurate word. The Bevell made me do it.

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3fplf8rv said:
seabowl":3fplf8rv said:

I couldn't agree more.
In retrospect, I'm saddened to have seen Cable so jubilantly inspired with the ONE great Run Blocking Play where Rawls took it to the house, because I don't want him feeling that his O-Line Coaching has arrived and isn't the root of the problem on Offense.
The Defense messed up their fair share of this game, but the O-Line owns a lot of blame for all the stalled plays too.
You really couldn't be anymore wrong. This was by far the most complete O-Line we have seen all year and to be honest if you really think they were the reason for this loss, you really don't know what's going on. This loss is on the shoulders of the defense and Bevell.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":lgusk7gd said:
scutterhawk":lgusk7gd said:
seabowl":lgusk7gd said:

I couldn't agree more.
You really couldn't be anymore wrong. This was by far the most complete O-Line we have seen all year and to be honest if you really think they were the reason for this loss, you really don't know what's going on. This loss is on the shoulders of the defense and Bevell.

I think your missing the point. Yes the OL played better yesterday however due to their inconsistency, Russ isn't comfortable sitting in the pocket and going through reads. He expects (and rightfully so) pressure to be in his face as soon as the ball is snapped. If the OL starts to play well on a consistent basis the he should snap out of it. Until then expect more of the same.

Latest posts