Super Bowl Window

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Simple question, is it beginning to close?

Looks like the offense took a huge step back while the defense is carrying the team.

Even with a great defense, a lack of offense will that be our downfall?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The 2 biggest problems are the O-line and the OC being craptastic IMHO.
If they can overcome those 2 obstacles then the window is wide open. I think RW would turn into a mega-star with a wide open play book and time to throw the ball.

kearly

Reaction score
In 2011 the OL turned things around by mid-season. I'm not saying that I expect that type of transformation in 2015, but lets just say that there is massive room for improvement, and even something as minor as shuffling the starters could potentially help.

I think the Seahawks are an extremely good team with some suffocating issues at OL and TE.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So far, Britt as a guard is so much worse than Britt as a RT. IF he gets Russell smoked one too many times, there will be no window this year.

DeeHawks

Reaction score
Scottemojo":j9025tn7 said:
So far, Britt as a guard is so much worse than Britt as a RT. IF he gets Russell smoked one too many times, there will be no window this year.

This is so true!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1r7oysuz said:

Agreed. I'm surprised they haven't put Bailey there yet. Not that he is a fix per se, but Britt is over matched.

I also think they need to give Gilliam a chance to develop, just not starting at RT. We need more stability, not this science project.

I'm over the D line conversion project game. Why can't they just draft credible linemen to begin with?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Is the window closed? Not with so many players still in their primes.

Are there some snags this year that might cause Seattle's downfall in 2015? Sure. Just the same as last year and the year before that.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
No. The window just opened. We have a great coaching staff and players to be dancing under the confetti on a proud February night in Santa Clara.

andyh64000

Reaction score
We are just a guard and a center away from being far and away the best team in the NFL.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The window closed seven years ago. Sorry guys, the dreams are over. The Seahawks will never win a Super Bowl.

timmat

Reaction score
The reality is we will obviously not go to the Super Bowl every year, even during the era where the window is open.

rjdriver

Reaction score
timmat":1pkjdnwe said:
The reality is we will obviously not go to the Super Bowl every year, even during the era where the window is open.

Thank You.

This.

How awesome is it though to know that for the next 3-5 years, we have a legitimate chance to beat anyone, anytime. This team could make a deep playoff run regardless of seeding. Be grateful there is a window, we might not always make it through it (it requires an insane amount of serendipity to actually win the damn thing), but it's there. Many of my years as a Seahawks fan there has been nothing but a brick wall.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
kearly":1o6twyxz said:
In 2011 the OL turned things around by mid-season. I'm not saying that I expect that type of transformation in 2015, but lets just say that there is massive room for improvement, and even something as minor as shuffling the starters could potentially help.

I think the Seahawks are an extremely good team with some suffocating issues at OL and TE.

I agree; but I feel like we can mitigate some of the OLine issues with some better play calling/ scheming. Can we play with three tackles instead of an inept blocking TE...and instead keep him out wide where he can be most effective? Can we keep a back in formation instead of emptying out? I feel like we should never run an empty set with these issues.

I'm not an x's and o's guy at all...so I'm wondering if we can coach our way out of this rut using more intelligent formations.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We have young nucleus, so suggestions of windows closing are extremely premature. Do we have the best shot this year? Maybe not, but I truthfully did not expect to get back there this season. Even with the right roster, the odds were extremely long of making it to a third consecutive Super Bowl. Doesn't mean there isn't a lot to enjoy and learn from this season.

You cannot scheme past a deficiency in OL this big. Russell isn't a three-step drop QB -- it inhibits his vision and ability to create. He throws slants and screens high, which is why our WRs almost never get a head-of-steam when they catch them. Other teams make hay on the same play calls; we call them because we have no other choice. He needs some consistency up front or at least a run game to play off of, so he can get vertical (which is what he does best). However, Tom Cable has failed him in both respects.

The fact that we entered training camp with no competition for RT or blocking TE was a mistake. The fact that we remain steadfast with the Britt experiment is hubris on Cable's part. We reached for him to fill a need and are sticking with him to justify the draft expenditure. That is what bad teams do. We brought in no names for C and passed on Mathis. Those were also mistakes. Maybe it gets better, maybe it doesn't, but so far, it is looking exactly the way I expected it to.

If Lynch is still Lynch, there is a chance that he, Russell and this defense can make some special things happen this season. But unlike prior seasons, there are no reinforcements coming on OL.

Joyodongo

Reaction score
If we loose the next 2 games (at Bengals and vs Panthers), something I don't see so improbable, we won't make it this year. Even winning this games, I don't know if we can make the SB with such a weak link (the o-line).

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Joyodongo":30mbbga1 said:
If we loose the next 2 games (at Bengals and vs Panthers), something I don't see so improbable, we won't make it this year. Even winning this games, I don't know if we can make the SB with such a weak link (the o-line).

Why would losing the next two games rule us out?

I mean it wouldnt be great, but I think thats a little premature.

By the way, we have been to back to back SuperBowls with arguably the worst o-line in the league. Clearly it is possible, we have proven it.

Chawks1

Reaction score
The window is still open and can be for a couple more years. But the sound of Russell Wilson hitting the turf each game is the sound of the window closing a little bit each week. Gotta find a way to improve the o-line to keep the journey alive.

The way I see it, this years team is more like the 2000 Baltimore Ravens Championship season..... Where the D just carries the team into a Wild-card spot and we bite and claw our way to the Super Bowl. If Russ can stay alive and "game-manage" us to 10 victories then we have the veteran leadership to do anything in the playoffs.

Cougarmode58

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2u0jvtf6 said:
No. The window just opened. We have a great coaching staff and players to be dancing under the confetti on a proud February night in Santa Clara.
Thank you. We are 2-2 last year started 3-3, poor line play in beginning of year... Russell was running for his life then too... give the oline time to mesh a lot of the guys are new at the position (Nowak) he's the core to the line. I expect everything to be great again after the bye. We are fine and defense wins championships. Give the Offense time to get it together. They sure as hell did last year.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
It is too early to tell imo. The line is atrocious, and there could be ramifications with a line like this. QB'S get ruined either by injury, or start to struggle due to such poor protection their mental game declines. Near the end of Mondays game Russ was getting jumpy in the pocket probably due to being hit and running for his life. The line had never been this bad despite what some say. At this point an entire season like this doesn't help keep that window open. I hope the line takes a step forward or the organization realizes quickly they need to change personnel on the line