4th and 1 ... which play(s) would you call?

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Can someone explain why we don't use the QB sneak on short yardage? Russell has big hands , is strong. Center just needs to push a little ...

Instead we snap the ball 5 yards behind line of scrimmage, hand it over to ML and ask him to gain 6 yards ... on 4th and 1.
By the time ML gets it, the D is already 4 yards into our backfield.
Am I just clueless? Why does it seem so obvious to me?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3j8tubjg said:
Can someone explain why we don't use the QB sneak on short yardage? Russell has big hands , is strong. Center just needs to push a little ...

Instead we snap the ball 5 yards behind line of scrimmage, hand it over to ML and ask him to gain 6 yards ... on 4th and 1.
I've never understood that either.

ringless

Reaction score
It seems like very few plays are from behind center in Seattles offense.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":39eet5k0 said:
joeseahawks":39eet5k0 said:

I've never understood that either.

just Bad play calling , if you are going to do that at least get Wilson to boot leg to the outside were they are expecting Lynch.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
i'd boot leg with graham crossing over the middle and lynch in the flat on the play side.

keasley45

Reaction score
1st - i think ML could have picked up the yards if he had just kept off tackle.

2nd- However, its just another example of how dumb Bevell's playcalling can be. It doesn't even pass the pro level sniff test. Yes, the o-line is a liability. But if that's the case, move the pocket, run a few more screens, or run the ball out of something other than shotgun. People have been asking why we bothered ever picking up Graham or Harvin when we dont use them. I''d ask why even have a FB position on your team if you dont use them. Oh wait. Its the ultimate game of chess. the other team will think that there's NO WAY we're going to run in short yardage if we leave them on the sidelines. I jest, of course, but i'm really starting to think Bev has a learning disorder and that either A. this is actually what he thinks, or B. the thought to go heavy (like he did once in the 1st qtr) doesn't even cross his mind. I mean, we call ourselves a running team and we run out of some of the softest sets in the league. Just dumb

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Get under center and run it from the i or let Russ sell the play fake roll out with a and run pass option.

or send our 6' 7" TE across the middle. I know some of you think Rusell can't throw over the middle but I've seen him do it. He does it often in practice. We have a high jumping red headed giant at TE. It's a quick throw. The only think we lack to make it work is the play call.

White Devil

Reaction score
Something with a fullback. Run it behind the FB, play action fake to Graham.

Bubble screen. Bubble screen is what the big card says though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They used Coleman on one play, I believe it was a 4th and 1 or 2. Coleman converted it for a 1st down...because it worked they decide not to use it again.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I personally would like to see the ball in RW's hands on some kind of boot where we give him a pass or run option. Good luck trying to stop RW on that. Just no more of this shotgun hand-off stuff.

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
We just don't seem to have a good variety of 4th and 1 plays. Our offense just needs more variety. It looks oh so predictable ...