Prisco eats major crow on 2012 draft

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
And yet the backhanded shit continues:

Wilson has been much better than anybody expected -- even the Seahawks. If you don't believe that, why did they wait until the third round to pick him?

Because they could you thick idiot. Schneider said he personally had him as high as Andrew Luck.

kearly

Reaction score
He was fair to the Seahawks, but many of the rest of his writeups felt invested in proving him right whenever possible. I mean, he justifies giving the Bengals draft an A+ because it produced five mediocre starters? Imagine if Seattle had drafted five Jeremy Lanes. He wouldn't give that draft an A+, nor should he.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I love how he thinks that the Seahawks didn't even think Russell was going to be good because they waited to the third round to pick him. I would think that a supposed thinking man would realize how much of a coup that really was. John Schneider KNOWING the market for Russell and still being able to come away with Russell in the third round should make it more impressive.

Taking someone in the first round that you believe could be had in the third round doesn't make sense. It's not John Schneider's fault that 31 other teams thought so little of Russell. John told everyone that he was WILLING to take Russell in the first round and it was Pete that held him back.

Taking Russell in the first round would be like paying $3000 OVER the sticker price of a car just because you want it. It really isn't necessary to get the car, no matter how much you want it. Paying less for a car that nobody else was going to buy at the sticker price doesn't make the car any less worthy of doing what you expect it to do.

kearly

Reaction score
I think if the Seahawks knew for a fact that Wilson would be a future HoFer, they'd race to the podium to take him at #12, and perhaps even consider trading up just to make sure. The Eagles owned the pick right after Seattle at #76 and were going to select Wilson if Seattle didn't. It was basically a bad gamble by Pete, who talked JS into waiting for round 3. Pete's been known to take a bad gamble every now and then (*clears throat*), thankfully this one just barely avoided blowing up in our faces in epic fashion.

Prisco is off base saying Seattle didn't think Wilson would be good. But they were kind of stupid to chance it the way they did. The gamble paid off, but I'd much rather see Seattle play it safe when the next Russell Wilson is in the draft 15 years from now.

On a side note, the Flynn signing very likely gave Philly the confidence to stand pat. I think it's legit to wonder if Wilson would have reached the 75th pick if we didn't have Flynn under a sizable contract.

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":t6bnxrza said:
The gamble paid off, but I'd much rather see Seattle play it safe when the next Russell Wilson is in the draft 15 years from now..

Why would you draft a new qb with 5 years and four superbowls left on RWs career? :D

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":3l461yk5 said:
On a side note, the Flynn signing very likely gave Philly the confidence to stand pat. I think it's legit to wonder if Wilson would have reached the 75th pick if we didn't have Flynn under a sizable contract.

Never even considered that. Wonder if Daniel Jeremiah would speak to this if someone were to ask him on Twitter.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":226bq50u said:
I think if the Seahawks knew for a fact that Wilson would be a future HoFer, they'd race to the podium to take him at #12, and perhaps even consider trading up just to make sure. The Eagles owned the pick right after Seattle at #76 and were going to select Wilson if Seattle didn't. It was basically a bad gamble by Pete, who talked JS into waiting for round 3. Pete's been known to take a bad gamble every now and then (*clears throat*), thankfully this one just barely avoided blowing up in our faces in epic fashion.

Prisco is off base saying Seattle didn't think Wilson would be good. But they were kind of stupid to chance it the way they did. The gamble paid off, but I'd much rather see Seattle play it safe when the next Russell Wilson is in the draft 15 years from now.

And now I am the mouthpiece for the (pours out gin, wishes for the universe to right itself) banned pe. Who says the Hawks signed Flynn to throw others off the trail of wanting Wilson.

cdallan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2m9tindp said:
kearly":2m9tindp said:

And now I am the mouthpiece for the (pours out gin, wishes for the universe to right itself) banned pe. Who says the Hawks signed Flynn to throw others off the trail of wanting Wilson.

You're Pe's representative on Earth?

Tough gig.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":3isj1gv9 said:

Yea, I don't think I'd agree with all of this either.

The Seahawks knew Wilson would be good....Schneider had to be talked out of drafting Wilson in the 2nd round (and you don't draft guys in the 2nd that have major question marks or you're unsure of). They knew what they knew, and they also were playing a big bluff here. They probably figured that since they had just signed Flynn (everyone claims it was big money, but it wasn't even starting QB money honestly), and with Jackson already on the roster, that we weren't in the market for a QB. The one thing the Seahawks didn't know is whether Jackson or Flynn would be good enough to take our team to the next level, so they got a 3rd QB and let them slug it out.

Our FO knew the market. Look at the Bruce Irvin pick: most pundits had us WAY over drafting Irvin. Then it came out that 3 of the GMs behind us had Irvin rated at a 1st round grade and he would never have made it until the 2nd round. Draft analysts are just that: they analyze players and give them a grade, then sort them out by grade and team need. They don't usually get into the draft strategy that much. It's been said that the Hawks knew they could get Wilson in the 3rd (and Wagner in the 2nd, although Kendricks was supposedly the primary target) because of the Flynn deal.

So saying we'd rush up to the podium with our 1st round pick if we'd have known Wilson would be this good....well that only works if EVERYONE knew Wilson would be this good, which would mean Washington would've give up their draft haul to STL in exchange for Wilson and not RGIII. The Hawks would never give up that kind of draft capital, so we'd never have gotten him.....it goes on and on.

If the converse is true, and we're the only ones that know Wilson is going to be special....well we'd still not draft him in the 1st because we're the only ones that know. So we're back where we're at, and Pete and John look like geniuses (they should, whether by luck or not).

On thing's for sure: I'd hate to play Texas Hold em with Pete.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
cdallan":2bv5i4sw said:
Scottemojo":2bv5i4sw said:
kearly":2bv5i4sw said:

You're Pe's representative on Earth?

Tough gig.
Sometimes pe mistakenly schedules two dates for the same night. I take the uglier one in his stead. Sometimes those guys are really disappointed.

So no, not his representative on earth. Just the deposed ones ambassador on .NET.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Along with enjoyin the Seahawks regrade, if you want to experience some Shadenfreude, read the Niners' new grade ;)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I still hate reading anything that douche writes as his palpable dislike of the Seahawks always finds some way to demonstrate it's presence. Frankly I don't think he really knows much about the Hawks and has to be dragged kicking and screaming his dislike to a grudging admiration of the team. I do like seeing him eat some crow though.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":1doarhbr said:

The Seahawks knew Wilson would be good....Schneider had to be talked out of drafting Wilson in the 2nd round (and you don't draft guys in the 2nd that have major question marks or you're unsure of). They knew what they knew, and they also were playing a big bluff here. They probably figured that since they had just signed Flynn (everyone claims it was big money, but it wasn't even starting QB money honestly), and with Jackson already on the roster, that we weren't in the market for a QB. The one thing the Seahawks didn't know is whether Jackson or Flynn would be good enough to take our team to the next level, so they got a 3rd QB and let them slug it out.

Our FO knew the market. Look at the Bruce Irvin pick: most pundits had us WAY over drafting Irvin. Then it came out that 3 of the GMs behind us had Irvin rated at a 1st round grade and he would never have made it until the 2nd round. Draft analysts are just that: they analyze players and give them a grade, then sort them out by grade and team need. They don't usually get into the draft strategy that much. It's been said that the Hawks knew they could get Wilson in the 3rd (and Wagner in the 2nd, although Kendricks was supposedly the primary target) because of the Flynn deal.

So saying we'd rush up to the podium with our 1st round pick if we'd have known Wilson would be this good....well that only works if EVERYONE knew Wilson would be this good, which would mean Washington would've give up their draft haul to STL in exchange for Wilson and not RGIII. The Hawks would never give up that kind of draft capital, so we'd never have gotten him.....it goes on and on.

If the converse is true, and we're the only ones that know Wilson is going to be special....well we'd still not draft him in the 1st because we're the only ones that know. So we're back where we're at, and Pete and John look like geniuses (they should, whether by luck or not).

JS actually wanted Wilson at #12, but had to be "talked down" by his scouting department.

Granted, the odds of losing Wilson between picks #12 and #43 is small. Maybe a 5% chance. I would still feel uncomfortable taking that chance, and I think JS did too. Now, the odds of losing Wilson between #47 and #75? That's a pretty significant chance. Probably 50/50. And as we found out later, Wilson would have been taken the very next pick after Seattle got him.

Just because something worked out, doesn't mean it was a smart idea. If Philly had caught on that Seattle wanted Wilson, and moved up to the #74 pick, JS would be talking about the fish that got away the rest of his life.

In fairness to JS, I think he was compromising a bit with Pete Carroll and the scouting department. So it's not like I'm blaming JS. If he had his way he would have taken Wilson in the 1st or 2nd round.

I just think it's fair to look a bit cross eyed at the decision to wait as long as they did if they thought Wilson was legit given how much is at stake. And to be fair to Prisco, our scouting department unanimously disliked Wilson as a prospect. It really was a case of JS over-riding his scouts, and while Pete was positive about it, it was JS that got Pete on board.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":13ienygs said:
Hawks46":13ienygs said:
And to be fair to Prisco, our scouting department unanimously disliked Wilson as a prospect. It really was a case of JS over-riding his scouts, and while Pete was positive about it, it was JS that got Pete on board.

Is JS not our main scout? How do we know all of our scouts unanimously (besides the biggest one) did not like Russell Wilson? And why would we want to be fair to Prisco?

Sprfunk

Reaction score
I wonder if Wilson was drafted at 12 what the blowback would be. Many on this forum didn't like the pick at 75. The fans would have gone crazy and many people in the media would have called it one of the largest misses in history until he balled out and proved them wrong.
Teams would say we were going to take him at 15 ,16 ect ect.
The one thing that would change though is I think Wilson would have a lot more national respect for being a first round qb. Expectations would be different and they would still call JS PC geniuses.
The one thing you can say about their strategy is that they seem to know what players are worth and where they are likely to go. They play the draft like a fiddle.
One more thing, people like prickso like to use the argument that they were lucky, and if they really thought that highly of him they would have picked him higher. If they had picked him in round one it would have stopped that argument, but how much more credit do they deserve for knowing when a player is going to go off the board. That is way more impressive then people will admit because it's harder to assess. That draft was amazeballs.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2q4l02uf said:
kearly":2q4l02uf said:
Hawks46":2q4l02uf said:
And to be fair to Prisco, our scouting department unanimously disliked Wilson as a prospect. It really was a case of JS over-riding his scouts, and while Pete was positive about it, it was JS that got Pete on board.
Is JS not our main scout? How do we know all of our scouts unanimously (besides the biggest one) did not like Russell Wilson? And why would we want to be fair to Prisco?
Chuckles in agreement. Did anyone else notice that besides the swipe about being lucky/not knowing how good Wilson might be, Robert Turbin wasn't even listed as being part of that draft? I know he's not a starter, but he's a regular contributer -- and in a context where just being on the roster after three years counts as a minor success.

Put Turbin on that list, and it is even more overwhelmingly good.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
kearly":khsb607p said:
Hawks46":khsb607p said:

JS actually wanted Wilson at #12, but had to be "talked down" by his scouting department.

Granted, the odds of losing Wilson between picks #12 and #43 is small. Maybe a 5% chance. I would still feel uncomfortable taking that chance, and I think JS did too. Now, the odds of losing Wilson between #47 and #75? That's a pretty significant chance. Probably 50/50. And as we found out later, Wilson would have been taken the very next pick after Seattle got him.

Just because something worked out, doesn't mean it was a smart idea. If Philly had caught on that Seattle wanted Wilson, and moved up to the #74 pick, JS would be talking about the fish that got away the rest of his life.

In fairness to JS, I think he was compromising a bit with Pete Carroll and the scouting department. So it's not like I'm blaming JS. If he had his way he would have taken Wilson in the 1st or 2nd round.

I just think it's fair to look a bit cross eyed at the decision to wait as long as they did if they thought Wilson was legit given how much is at stake. And to be fair to Prisco, our scouting department unanimously disliked Wilson as a prospect. It really was a case of JS over-riding his scouts, and while Pete was positive about it, it was JS that got Pete on board.

Actually JS wanted to take him in the 2nd round but both him and Carroll felt they could get him in the 3rd round which allowed them to snag Wagnar in the 2nd. Some in the Seahawk organization felt they could wait and get him in the 4th round but JS wanted nothing to do with that and jumped on him with the 75th pick. Andy Reid then contacted JS to congratulate him on getting Wilson while mentioning they would have taken with their pick at 88.

JS fell in love with Wilson during a trip to Wisconsin in Oct 2011. Carroll started watching tape on Wilson which really got Carroll on board but it was Rose Bowl vs Oregon that sealed the deal for the Hawks to want to draft Wilson. From that point on until he was picked it was just a big cat and mouse game with plenty of smoke and mirrors to keep the Hawks interest in Wilson off other teams radar.