Schneider: Draft Pick Creativity

nwHawk

Reaction score
As we all speculate on what the Seahawks are going to do with free agents and draft picks, I think John Schneider is quietly using the Compensation Pick process like a genius. The Seahawks have been excellent at developing players since Pete arrived and they seem to maximize each player with enough time (similar to a college football program). Similar to bringing in a Frosh and spend 3 years building, teaching, programming and strengthening them into men.

The last couple of years we've lost more players than we've signed that were comp pick eligible. This year we have stayed away from free agents that minimize our compensation returns. I believe this is by design. In college, seniors (and elite JRs) move on (graduate, turn pro, etc...) and a new crop of players come in and keep the process going. Pete and John have done an amazing job converting this college approach to the pro game and maximizing the benefits. Benefits that also include managing the salary cap and keeping us competitive year after year.

Don't expect any $5 mil+/yr free agents this off season if they affect future draft compinsation. Looking forward, it's possible the Hawks will let Mebane, Turbin, McDaniel, and Okung play out this year and hit Free Agency next year. Next Man Up.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Patriots have been doing this very successfully for years.

I mean that as a compliment to the strategy.

Okung isn't going anywhere.

- bsd

Hyak

Reaction score
Field Gulls has had a couple of articles recently about this and MMQB has a related article about how well Baltimore has utilized compensation picks during their run of sustained success.

It's also telling that the biggest offseason moves JS/PC have made of late are trades rather than big free agent signings - the one for Harvin and the recent one for Graham.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
The Seahawks haven't really had a bunch of comp picks, so the jury is still out on their success selecting those prospects. They will have what... 4 comp picks this year? Great. Draft good ones.

I think it's great, as fans, to appreciate what we've got in JS/PC. It's certainly deserved recognition. But, it's in their distinctives as they navigate through the same process as every other team that ultimately makes the difference.

Let's hope the Seahawks actually draft well in this 2015 selection meeting. While it might still be too early to tell, seems like it's safe to say that the 2010-2012 draft picks are working out much better than the previous two. So, we could use a great crop of talent with other teams getting after not only the depth this team has enjoyed, but also some of the starters that play well enough to earn more elsewhere.

Getting additional picks is always a good thing. The more players you draft, perhaps the better chance of finding a player that works out. Increase the odds. Makes the draft much more exciting for us fans, too. Perhaps we can have a particular excitement to see what players are taken with those (4) comp picks in this draft. A bonus would be drafting a solid player with that 6th round pick that represents closure on the PH deal.

Go Hawks

Rat

Reaction score
Comp picks are becoming very overrated on here. It takes over a year to get them, they're all at the end of the rounds, they can't be traded, and they're almost all day 3 picks. It's nice to have them, but I really hope they're not a serious consideration when our front office guys are looking to sign quality players who can help us now.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I tend to agree with you on this. Comp picks are essentially UDFAs that you are claiming before you have a chance to see them workout with your team rather than after. Not a meaningless consideration in the approach to FA, but way, way, way down the list of importance. Seems like some teams do place higher value on them than I would, and they have had good success with that strategy.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rat":1ncpzrep said:
Comp picks are becoming very overrated on here. It takes over a year to get them, they're all at the end of the rounds, they can't be traded, and they're almost all day 3 picks. It's nice to have them, but I really hope they're not a serious consideration when our front office guys are looking to sign quality players who can help us now.
Yep, I agree. Being at the end of rounds and untradeable kill a lot of their value IMHO.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3aukayla said:
I tend to agree with you on this. Comp picks are essentially UDFAs that you are claiming before you have a chance to see them workout with your team rather than after. Not a meaningless consideration in the approach to FA, but way, way, way down the list of importance. Seems like some teams do place higher value on them than I would, and they have had good success with that strategy.

This is way off base since comp picks can start in the 3rd rnd and even 5-6 rd picks should have more talent than UDFAs

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
I definitely think comp picks are valuable. You may not be able to trade them but they give you a lot of flexibility to trade your other picks.

We could package our own 4th and 5th plus NO 4th or something to move without many worries because we'll still comp picks in those rounds.

PC/JS have also proven again and again that they can find gems in the 4th/5th and even 6th round. If there is anyone who can extract full value out of extra picks its them.

LTH

Reaction score
nwHawk":3ipbagny said:
As we all speculate on what the Seahawks are going to do with free agents and draft picks, I think John Schneider is quietly using the Compensation Pick process like a genius. The Seahawks have been excellent at developing players since Pete arrived and they seem to maximize each player with enough time (similar to a college football program). Similar to bringing in a Frosh and spend 3 years building, teaching, programming and strengthening them into men.

The last couple of years we've lost more players than we've signed that were comp pick eligible. This year we have stayed away from free agents that minimize our compensation returns. I believe this is by design. In college, seniors (and elite JRs) move on (graduate, turn pro, etc...) and a new crop of players come in and keep the process going. Pete and John have done an amazing job converting this college approach to the pro game and maximizing the benefits. Benefits that also include managing the salary cap and keeping us competitive year after year.

Don't expect any $5 mil+/yr free agents this off season if they affect future draft compinsation. Looking forward, it's possible the Hawks will let Mebane, Turbin, McDaniel, and Okung play out this year and hit Free Agency next year. Next Man Up.

thats exactly right.... pete talks about this in his book..

Its amazing to me they are able to stay competetive with low draft picks.... Pete is brillant in his understanding of how to deal with people...

LTH

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Rat":1cbg0aik said:
Schneider isn't going to refuse to sign someone he thinks would be a good fit at a good price just because it affects comp picks. I agree that people are overrating them.

However, I do believe that Schneider at least factors it into his calculations. It would only be a small part of the equation, but I dont think he wants to lose comp picks that we would be in line to get just because we sign an overpriced mid-tier veteran.

Comp picks are a natural function of focusing more on resigning your own players. Keeping your own important players and letting some of the others leave in FA means you won't need FAs from other teams as much, so comp picks should be a regular thing.

ivotuk

Reaction score
When you're resigning your own, you don't have a lot of money left over to go after free agents.

And when you're in the Superbowl back to back, your natural picks are at the end of the round, right there next to your comp picks.

I believe this was part of John and Pete's plan for year 5 is it? In the first 2 or 3 years build through the draft then in the 4th year pay the most valuable but let some of the expensive guys (Golden Tate, Byron Maxwell) that other teams want (because of your success) go.

Now that they are in this phase of the plan, start working the compensation picks by trading for A+ players instead of signing them. The advantage there is the team you trade with has already put the player under contract and possibly already paid a big portion of it up front.

It's brilliant. and I'll bet there are so many more convulations to this multi-year plan that we have no idea about.

I used to wonder why Bellicheck would sign good players to one year contracts then not re-sign them a year later even though they had a great year. Now I understand.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":t5ba9iyl said:

I have an issue with the way they seem to basically cut players but then get comp picks on a technicality (See Revis and Browner).

Not like the Patriots to abuse the rules for their own gain is it?

lobohawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3t0w0oml said:
bigskydoc":3t0w0oml said:

I have an issue with the way they seem to basically cut players but then get comp picks on a technicality (See Revis and Browner).

Not like the Patriots to abuse the rules for their own gain is it?

The Patriots aren't actually master drafters. Where they flourish is getting aging vets who seem on the downswing and get some productive years out of them. Kinda poaching the FA market for inexpensive value.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
bigskydoc":si6wz5bk said:

Yep, and as have the Ravens, 49ers, Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, etc.

Agreed that it's a good strategy, but there's nothing new or innovative about it.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Popeyejones":whiu2ge9 said:
bigskydoc":whiu2ge9 said:

Yep, and as have the Ravens, 49ers, Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, etc.

Agreed that it's a good strategy, but there's nothing new or innovative about it.

After this 2015 draft, the Seahawks will have 24 comp picks since 1994 and 49ers 25. Curious that you include the 49ers among the more successful teams awarded comp picks and leave off Seattle? Perhaps you're just rattling off a few teams to make the point that it's not a new strategy. But, how is it you mention the Niners there instead of teams like the Seahawks or Giants? http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000336907

"It's no coincidence that Newsome and Seattle general manager John Schneider are two of the best in business."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ry-lottery

I don't see how the 49ers have had success in this, comparatively. The Ravens are the clear cut leaders. There are teams that deserve mention. Seahawks are now one of them. I don't see a case for the 49ers to be considered one of the more successful in this area. Yes, in the top half of total comp picks. Just not as successful as other teams in that top half, though.

(In reply to some of the other comments about "over-valuing")
Comp picks DO matter. Not even sure what "over-valuing" is supposed to mean? They are simply put... valuable. Getting good players is important and the draft is where that starts. Having more picks is advantageous. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/c ... id=5080698