Anyone want to re-live 2006 OT loss vs Chicago in playoffs?

Captain

Reaction score
Seahawks did everything they could to lose this game. Hasselbeck threw one of the worst INTs ever right after Pete Hunter picked off Grossman. Alexander couldnt convert on 4th and 1. Tank Johnson ran by 3 OLineman (including Walter Jones) for huge sack. And multiple other blunders for an excruciating, terrible loss.

Enjoy!

[youtube]JJLZ6W_zyTo[/youtube]

[youtube]GaF_5Bh2Ouk[/youtube]

[youtube]pcATP1lToLQ[/youtube]

[youtube]PpD8aRahfwo[/youtube]

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
This was the first year i watched football and knew what a first down was. And is such, the first post season loss I had to endure.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Ugh, I forgot how frustrating that game was. That final Seahawks drive stalling out at the 50 made me want to smash my TV. Engram was wide open because his defender fell down, but Hass couldn't find him. I hated this game.

ErikG803

Reaction score
Man oh man... I don't remember Hasselbeck's INT too clearly, but that sack they gave up near the end of regulation was just BRUTAL. Was tough watching the Bears end up in the Super Bowl after that gift from us.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
That loss kind of sums up the Holmgren/Hasselbeck/Alexander era.

Could've, should've would've....

A

Anonymous

That first tackle out of bounds on the frozen sideline and watching players get up after it set the tone for that game.

THAT was some "frozen tundra".

JonRud

Reaction score
that was a very difficult loss. The Seahawks have had a history of some incredibly depressing playoff losses.

1988 vs. Oilers - lost in OT
2002 vs. Miami - had the lead around the 2-minute mark
2005 vs. Rams - Engram drops game tying TD at the buzzer
2006 Super Bowl - the worst of all-time
2007 - Bears OT game
2013 vs. Falcons - blew lead with under a minute to go
2015 - Super Bowl, got to 1/2 yard line

Seriously is there another NFL team that has suffered this many unbearable playoff losses in recent history? No way.

This is what makes XLVIII all the sweeter. All the pain of these other games was finally rewarded with a rousing Championship victory.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
JonRud":3oz7f1kg said:
This is what makes XLVIII all the sweeter. All the pain of these other games was finally rewarded with a rousing Championship victory.

Agree completely. XLVIII made all the misery worth it. And it eased the pain somewhat of XLIX, which I am grateful for.

idahohawk

Reaction score
My dad and I have had a saying since I was old enough to watch the Hawks. "Just when you thought they covered them all, the Seahawks have found yet ANOTHER way to lose."

SB XLIX was another stellar example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I jokingly (sort of) told my dad that it is a good thing the Seahawks prepared us through the years for a loss of this magnitude.

I can't imagine younger kid fans, who have experienced nothing but the last 3-5 yeas, and how utterly destroyed they must have felt (still feel). I still can't think of a crappier way to lose a game... let alone the freaking Superb Owl.

Agreed, thank goodness for XLVIII. There are a bunch of people who are confident we'll get back to the Owl soon.... as a lifelong fan, I'm certainly hopeful, but I don't think many realize how difficult it is to get to one SB, let alone 3 consecutive. The SB XLIX loss will haunt me forever.

GO Hawks.

JonRud":2ivd8586 said:
that was a very difficult loss. The Seahawks have had a history of some incredibly depressing playoff losses.

2007 - Bears OT game

Seriously is there another NFL team that has suffered this many unbearable playoff losses in recent history? No way.

rjdriver

Reaction score
The fourth and one. Ugh.

If we have Hutch, that game is over. Watching that game is when I realized that the Hutch fiasco ruined our shot at back to back. There is no way we lose that particular game with him. We would have still had to go to NO to play, but I thought our chances to going back were pretty darn good.

rjdriver

Reaction score
JonRud":3fzp6q6y said:

2007 - Bears OT game

True Jon, very true........BUT

We also have a couple of incredibly bad ass wins

1983 vs. Dolphins- In the Orange Bowl, one of the biggest upsets in playoff history.
2014 vs. Packers- Do I need to say anything? Simply epic.

JonRud

Reaction score
I wonder which Seahawks playoff win was mathematically more improbable.

1) Packers NFC Championship game epic comeback
2) Romo fumbling a snap on a 19-yard FG to blow the game

I bet the Romo fumble was more improbable than the comeback win. That FG is probably about a 99% certainty, same as a PAT. of course the Hawks would have had some left to try to score after that but not much.

907Hawk

Reaction score
JonRud":10l3mdy9 said:

2007 - Bears OT game

The "we want the ball and we're gonna score" Packer OT loss was also a bummer.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The difference between the 2005/2006 era Seahawks and the 2013/14/15 era Seahawks is astonishing, considering it was a decade in time where the Belicheck/Brady Patriots did not win a Super Bowl and the entire identity of our franchise was transformed.

JonRud

Reaction score
907Hawk":1m16xjg3 said:
JonRud":1m16xjg3 said:

2007 - Bears OT game

The "we want the ball and we're gonna score" Packer OT loss was also a bummer.

Damn how did I forget that one!!!

Now I am ever more depressed than when I wrote the pst.

liftingaddict

Reaction score
JonRud":116xf6h7 said:

The early 90's Bills teams would like to make their argument..

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
JonRud":13179nf7 said:

I bet the Romo fumble was more improbable than the comeback win. That FG is probably about a 99% certainty, same as a PAT. of course the Hawks would have had some left to try to score after that but not much.

We would have had 1:15 to get a FG, and with a reliable kicker in Josh Brown. Not that it would have been easy, but that wouldn't have been such a historic comeback.

The Packers were 98% to win against us with three minutes left, per Advanced Football Analytics. http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.co ... 2015011800

Plugging the 2006 Dallas game numbers into the ANFLA WP calculator, Dallas was only 83% to win the game before they kicked that FG. http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.co ... calculator

The Packer game was by far the more improbable win.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":dztex7yj said:
JonRud":dztex7yj said:

We would have had 1:15 to get a FG, and with a reliable kicker in Josh Brown. Not that it would have been easy, but that wouldn't have been such a historic comeback.

The Packers were 98% to win against us with three minutes left, per Advanced Football Analytics. http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.co ... 2015011800

Plugging the 2006 Dallas game numbers into the ANFLA WP calculator, Dallas was only 83% to win the game before they kicked that FG. http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.co ... calculator

The Packer game was by far the more improbable win.

As Dallas was lining up for that kick, I was feeling decent about Seattle's chances to drive down and win. Especially given the fact that they had done that very thing multiple times that year with less time.

I don't think I can watch this Bears/Seahawks game, it haunted me for years. The sack at the end of regulation, a dropped pick by a defensive linemen in the fourth quarter that would've gone the distance. Bobby Engram wide open in overtime, just wide open, and Hass just froze. Absolutely froze. Lastly, just going off memory, Chicago had a 3rd and long in overtime, Seattle ran a zone blitz with cover 3 shell and got beat down the seam. Ball game. Could be wrong about that last play but I"m not going to go back and watch it. Ever.