Good news Sherman might not need Tommy John surgery

SuperFreak

Reaction score
From http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... after-all/

“He’s not a pitcher, and he’s not a left-hander. Sherm might not have to have that kind of surgery,” Carroll said. “If he was a thrower he would.”

Carroll did not specify what Sherman would have done, if he didn’t need ulnar collateral ligament replacement.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/562721567944491010[/tweet]

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Sweet. One less DB needing to go under the knife this offseason. Mash unit around here.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Would it better for him long-term for him to get this overwith now though? Is this something that could irritate his elbow or be easily injured again if it doesn't get fixed?

AirStrike

Reaction score
HawkFan72":6csfw9e4 said:
Would it better for him long-term for him to get this overwith now though? Is this something that could irritate his elbow or be easily injured again if it doesn't get fixed?

I'm not a baseball fanatic by any means, but there are guys who opt not to get this surgery and let it heal naturally I believe. Sherman isn't going to be putting serious torque on his elbow playing football, so having it heal without Tommy John isn't far-fetched by any stretch of the imagination. Tommy John is also a pretty delicate procedure with a long recovery time(for pitchers at least)

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but it's a pretty worthless surgery if you are not throwing with that arm.

I had Tommy John after my senior year of college. My doctor explicitly said, "if you didn't have broken bone or a detached tricep, I would advise you not to get this surgery. It will have no impact on you living a normal life and exercising anyway you want to exercise."

When I tore my UCL, there was literally no pain after the initial shock. I'm glad I did it, but I was also a baseball player who wanted to be able to still throw and "let it loose."

Just my experience.