Get back to dominance

Hyak

Reaction score
Now that it's in the books, I think it's apparent that the 2014 team was very good with flashes of greatness but the 2013 team was special. I really think it falls into a handful of main things:

1. Injuries really killed our depth on the DL, in the secondary, and at TE. The results of the defensive injuries were exposed by NE and somewhat by GB. Add in that the 3/4th of the LOB played at less than 100% on Sunday.

2. I am confident that DT will get back to strength with the return of Mebane and Hill but DE still concerns me and it's key. Bennett is best when he's inside at DT when rushing. I like Irvin and Schofield fine but they didn't account for the havoc that a peak Clemons had along with Avril. Maybe Cassius Marsh steps up in year 2 to fill that role. If not, finding a LEO type DE to join the rotation will be big. Some potential FA fits on a reasonable deal could be Derrick Morgan of Tennessee, Brandon Graham of Philadelphia, or maybe Orapko on a prove it deal.

3. Assuming Maxwell is gone in FA, they either need another outside guy or a slot guy if Lane moves outside. Now maybe Simon steps up but it sure doesn't look promising given how he was routinely exposed out there. I like the thought of considering Thurmond.

4. They need another reliable WR filling the Tate role that was void this season. It's hard to make much of Matthews performance in the SB but it shows potential. Odds are, however, that a newcomer or one of the 2nd year guys step up.

5. Return Man - We got zero out of our return game this year. They have to find a guy. One FA thought - Dwayne Harris of Dallas although an option is probably available in the draft - Ty Montgomery is interesting.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Re #3, shoot, Simon is the anti-LOB. I know he's dealt with injuries and maybe he can improve, but his name on the field has translated to big completions for the opposing QB. I like the idea of bringing Thurmond back, but not sure what I'd do with Simon. Cut him? If we're somehow able to re-sign Maxwell, that would be huge.

Re #5, my goodness this was the most lackluster return game we've had in almost ever. Seems we didn't approach the special teams Xs and Os as well as we could have, so I think it's just as much a need for ST re-evaluation as it is needing to do something about the return guy.... but that's just what it seems to me and my admittedly non-Xs and Os mind.

Improving the OL also seems to be in order -- maybe not necessarily finding someone to replace a current starter, but at least acquiring a couple solid backups to rotate in and out and develop into a starter in a year or two. Heard good things about Laken Tomlinson out of Duke, maybe if we're lucky we'll land someone like him, but I'm sure the FO will look at other positions in rounds 1 and 2.