if Bev called 4 running plays and they got stuffed?

firemanseahawk

Reaction score
Would that be the worst calls ever? It was what the defense would be expecting. WOULD it be better if we lost that way. The more I think the better I feel about it. OTHER THAN IT SUCKING SUCKS !

timmat

Reaction score
For me, it would have made it easier if they gave it at least one more chance. Go down swinging with your best. With the time that was left and one time out, I'm ok with one pass attempt. But that particular pass play call stunk. Roll Russell after Beast play action. Put Russ in space with a clear site line on the DBs to more easily make the decision to throw it 10 rows deep if it's not there. So many better passing options.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I think you're more likely to get hit in the head by a meteor while simultaneously seeing God's existence proven than to watch Marshawn Lynch be stopped from getting a single solitary yard on four attempts, but anything's possible.....

ballhawks12

Reaction score
firemanseahawk":36rl26mn said:
Would that be the worst calls ever? It was what the defense would be expecting. WOULD it be better if we lost that way. The more I think the better I feel about it. OTHER THAN IT SUCKING SUCKS !

No. If you have Marshawn Lynch and you need a yard, you run the ball. Simple as that. I know the defense would be expecting, but I don't believe the defense could stop Beastmode that many times. It sucks we lost, but in my opinion, it would have been better to lose that way than how we did.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
No. As many people have said, he would not have been criticized if we went down swinging with three runs by Lynch or Wilson inside the one-yard line. That would have been the safe thing to do. Our offensive line would have been criticized, but that is nothing new.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TorreySmithWR/status/562083581464305664[/tweet]

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1jsjhps9 said:
I think you're more likely to get hit in the head by a meteor while simultaneously seeing God's existence proven than to watch Marshawn Lynch be stopped from getting a single solitary yard on four attempts, but anything's possible.....

1. he wouldn't have 4 attempts. It was 2nd and goal with 26 seconds remaining. At most Marshawn gets two shots. Pass on 2nd down then the Hawks get three plays - a pass play and then 2 run plays if they choose. But if you run on 2nd down, and then run on 3rd down - that's going to be the last play they run. They lose one attempt at goal because time will run out.

2. were there meteors flying around when Marshawn went 1/5 on goal line attempts from the one yard line previously?

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
I understand the pass play, but why not use play action. At least bring the threat of marshawn into it.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":yarbowyu said:
RolandDeschain":yarbowyu said:

1. he wouldn't have 4 attempts. It was 2nd and goal with 26 seconds remaining. At most Marshawn gets two shots. Pass on 2nd down then the Hawks get three plays - a pass play and then 2 run plays if they choose. But if you run on 2nd down, and then run on 3rd down - that's going to be the last play they run. They lose one attempt at goal because time will run out.

2. were there meteors flying around when Marshawn went 1/5 on goal line attempts from the one yard line previously?

This argument makes sense until you ask yourself, why run on that first play? Run it on 2nd down, if you dont get in quickly run again. If you dont get in call a time out and pass on 4th down...Basically run it until you have to pass it...

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":230e7rem said:
RolandDeschain":230e7rem said:

There was a minute left when Russell Wilson went to the line of scrimmage at the one-yard line. We then preceded to run 25 seconds off the clock, as the team casually walked to the line of scrimmage to get lined up and then waited until there were just 5 seconds remaining on the play clock before snapping the ball. They showed zero urgency in preserving time, which eviscerates Bevell's argument that they threw the ball in order to conserve time on the clock.

If they wanted to conserve time, then they would have rushed to the line to run a play with about 54 seconds remaining, immediately run again with about 34 seconds remaining (10 seconds for the short run and 10 seconds to get lined up), then call a time out after running the clock all the way down before the final handoff or QB sneak on 4th down. Of course, I think Marshawn would have probably run it in the first time if not then the second time.

[youtube]WERRBZySOq0[/youtube]

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Given the fact Belichick said he was preparing to burn timeouts if we ran.. I am very convinced he WANTED us to run and WANTED us to score to give Brady one last crack at forcing OT.

So yeah.. if we called run-run-run-run and they happened to stuff all 4 of those.. it hurts but far less than this. Far far less.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2pcy7cmv said:
Given the game clock was at :26 they couldn't have run 4 times anyway.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I would have been OK if they ran it 4 times and got stuffed because it would still be the right play calls.

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
The players always say "One play at a time."

The coaches were trying to run out 26 seconds over 3 plays. They were out-thinking themselves. They tried to manufacture a scenario for 3 plays from the goal line when they only needed one play.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
It would have been two running place most likely. But if they failed , we wouldn't be calling for someones head this morning. We instead would be talking about how to improve the O Line, because the current one has struggled in such situations too many times this year.

mikeak

Reaction score
1) the issue is a play that tells everyone it is a pass. Play-action gives you pass, run and throw away option AND keeps the defense honest.

2) Run and you can use a time-out. Now 20 secs left. Can run / pass and still get a fourth play in

3) empty backfield Redzone. Lots of us have complained about it all year long imagine that - it didn't freaking work

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
12thManHawkFan":1nee9ayq said:
I understand the pass play, but why not use play action. At least bring the threat of marshawn into it.

I don't think they wanted to use up that much time or risk losing yards from a sack. Sure, it's unlikely RW gets sacked in that situation but hey, it was really unlikely to throw that pick as well...

Seafan

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":tpdfur9r said:
RolandDeschain":tpdfur9r said:

The Hawks passed on 2nd down and that was it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The loss would have still hurt but I think most would have understood it. I wasn't watching the broadcast coverage or listening to talk radio, but every Hawk fan leaving that stadium had the same reaction.

86822-not-like-this-gif-perfect-loop-pD6b.gif

I think you have to look past the 1/5 generic stat and see how the actual game was unfolding. Marshawn was running very well, the Patriots D is notoriously weak against the run on the goal line, and Lynch had just picked up most of the yardage on first down.

The run/pass question is also slightly misleading. I like what Lockette brings on special teams as much as anybody but losing on a quick slant to Lockette is just a really tough pill to swallow. That would have been Lockette's first catch of the day and RW's shortest completion.

Of course there's also plenty of blame to go around on the execution. Assigning the exact percentages is a fool hardy task given how much we will never know and it won't make you feel better about losing the game.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
If Lynch doesn't make it, I can live with that. This....this is unforgivable.

Latest posts