POLL: Should Darrell Bevell call the plays next season?

Should Darrell Bevell call the plays next season?

• Yes

Votes: 17 10.7%
  • No, allow Tom Cable to call the plays.

Votes: 17 10.7%
  • No, go with someone else on the staff.

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • No, go with an outside hire.

Votes: 115 72.3%

• Total voters

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I tried to make this topic two months ago but unfortunately it was locked. At this point, Bevell's stubborn refusal to stay with the running game may have reached the point that it will precipitate some change.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
GeekHawk":co5x0dhw said:
The correct reply isn't there. "No, Bevell should be fired, tarred and feathered, and run out of town on a rail."

There is something about this that reminds me of the Rose Bowl National Championship Game in the 2005 season between USC and Texas. Carroll's defense was essentially obliterated by injuries in that game, and Vince Young's Longhorns were moving the ball almost at will. On 4th and 2 at the end of the game, USC's co-offensive coordinators Steve Sarkisian and Lane Kiffin made the decision to put Reggie Bush on the sideline and run the ball up the gut. That was easily stopped for a loss and Texas went on to win in dramatic fashion. It should be noted that Carroll also took the blame for this decision in order to shield his assistant coaches from criticism.

The decision to pass on the one-yard line kind of reminds me of that decision against Texas. Except the cause of this one seems to be more about egoism than mere incompetence. Darrell Bevell wanted to show that the passing game was the true strength of this team, as he has done so many times before when he elects to abandon the running game. I was pissed that we weren't running the ball at the beginning of that drive. To not run it in on the one-yard line was unconscionable. Carroll needs a great OC, not another inconsistent, ego-driven fool like Bevell/Kiffin.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawknation2015":127n2ykx said:
GeekHawk":127n2ykx said:
The correct reply isn't there. "No, Bevell should be fired, tarred and feathered, and run out of town on a rail."

There is something about this that reminds me of the Rose Bowl National Championship Game in the 2005 season between USC and Texas. Carroll's defense was essentially obliterated by injuries in that game, and Vince Young's Longhorns were moving the ball almost at will. On 4th and 2 at the end of the game, USC's co-offensive coordinators Steve Sarkisian and Lane Kiffin made the decision to put Reggie Bush on the sideline and run the ball up the gut. That was easily stopped for a loss and Texas went on to win in dramatic fashion. It should be noted that Carroll also took the blame for this decision in order to shield his assistant coaches from criticism.

The decision to pass on the one-yard line kind of reminds me of that decision against Texas. Except the cause of this one seems to be more about egoism than mere incompetence. Darrell Bevell wanted to show that the passing game was the true strength of this team, as he has done so many times before when he elects to abandon the running game. I was pissed that we weren't running the ball at the beginning of that drive. To not run it in on the one-yard line was unconscionable. Carroll needs a great OC, not another inconsistent, ego-driven fool like Bevell/Kiffin.
Agree. I chose the last option cuz Bevell simply has to go.

Baldhwak

Reaction score
No way he can come back after that bullshit. Running lynch was the obvious call and he got cute once again. These chances are so rare I can't believe they blew a ten point lead

minormillikin

Reaction score
Did the 9ers fire their OC after the Harbowl? They basically tried the same crap. Hard nosed running team with speedy QB, and lost the game with ridicubad passing calls near the goal line.

kearly

Reaction score
I voted for the last option. I see Cable as a fallback plan, like the Jim Tomsula of OCs. Cable hasn't been an OC in ten years, and has only done so in college football.

byau

Reaction score
I was talking to our VP of Information Technology (previous company) and he told me about a story once where an Oracle DBA made a mistake. The database was taken down. A quarter of a million dollars was lost in revenue.

He said he didn't fire the Oracle DBA because

"I just paid about $250,000 worth in training for him. Why would I let him go?"

So...assuming it's Bevell's mistake: does Bevell learn from this "training" aka mistake? And does it make him stronger? Or is it too grave and irreversible?

theascension

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":1toomxq5 said:
You need a fifth option:

No, go with a five year old.
Makes sense since basically every five year old would have yelled "beast mode!" at that point.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
byau":jfbtnh4x said:
I was talking to our VP of Information Technology (previous company) and he told me about a story once where an Oracle DBA made a mistake. The database was taken down. A quarter of a million dollars was lost in revenue.

So...assuming it's Bevell's mistake: does Bevell learn from this "training" aka mistake? And does it make him stronger? Or is it too grave and irreversible?

This ain't the first time. He's untrainable. Fire his ass.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
byau":12spchf5 said:

This is different. Keeping the IT guy at Oracle has not effect on the production of other staff members. If we leave Bevell on as OC, we will lose the trust and confidence of our players in our coaching staff. He has to go.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":7j08dita said:
GeekHawk":7j08dita said:

This is a great post, that I wish were not true at all

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":wu2c18dy said:
The Rams/49ers OC searches have gone so well....

Still vouching for Bevell after tonight eh?

davidonmi

Reaction score
it's going to be tough to see him on the sideline next year. But right now it's probably too late to find anyone better

Latest posts