PFT: Kris Richard to be Def. Coordinator in ATL or SEA

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":313jv8km said:
Can't imagine Richard leaving if Carroll tabs him as Quinn's replacement, but interesting nonetheless

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... somewhere/

I've been thinking the same since the reports of Quinn to Atlanta came out. I would like to see Pete give him the DC job here, to keep him from going to the Falcons with Quinn

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I was thinking about this earlier. Quinn might not be our only loss because he is going to want to take guys with him.

If Richard goes to Atlanta look for Rocky Seto to be Richard's replacement.

Hopefully Carroll has all these spots already lined up since we've known for a while that Quinn is gone.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Ultimately I'm not too concerned with who our next DC is, as I think this is mainly Pete's defense. But I think Richard would be just about perfect. Hope he stays.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
razgriz737":19b0afwk said:
Ultimately I'm not too concerned with who our next DC is, as I think this is mainly Pete's defense. But I think Richard would be just about perfect. Hope he stays.

:13:

Shock2k

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3craqhkn said:
razgriz737":3craqhkn said:

Doesn't Ken Norton get the same chance though? He's done the same thing with lower round linebackers. Heck he took a D-End and turned him into a rising star. And coached up a backup who got a Superbowl MVP (please save the Chancellor should have the MVP, I already agree with you).

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think he deserves it, coaching the L.O.B to historical numbers the last few years. I think Pete is the key to this defense and not only coaches players well but teaches his coaches well. Richard and Seto are Carroll's guys, they have both been with Carol much longer than either Bradley and Quinn and would both step in seamlessly keeping this D #1for a few more years.

Osprey

Reaction score
Shock2k":2vz8id24 said:
Bigpumpkin":2vz8id24 said:
razgriz737":2vz8id24 said:

Doesn't Ken Norton get the same chance though? He's done the same thing with lower round linebackers. Heck he took a D-End and turned him into a rising star. And coached up a backup who got a Superbowl MVP (please save the Chancellor should have the MVP, I already agree with you).

Going strictly from memory, but...I believe Norton is on record as not wanting to move up and being happy with what he's doing now.

Mick063

Reaction score
Defensive Coordinator for Seattle is a gateway to a future Head Coaching job. For that reason, there will be no shortage of talented individuals available. Promoting "in house" reinforces the lure. Take bright, young coaches and mold them, promote them within the organization, then turn them loose upon the NFL.

I compare it to John Calipari at University of Kentucky churning through "one and done" basketball recruits. Pete Carroll knows that creating a path of success for others will perpetuate success for himself. It is a proven business model that transcends sports and is a desired attribute for leaders within the military as well.

I expect that Pete will have a decent "coaching tree" before it is all said and done. I also expect that at the time he eventually retires, he will recommend an "in house" coach to Paul Allen. He may be grooming the next head man now.

A lot of speculation, but I think it eventually plays out that way.

McGruff

Reaction score
Mick063":1lvyz3re said:
Defensive Coordinator for Seattle is a gateway to a future Head Coaching job. For that reason, there will be no shortage of talented individuals available. Promoting "in house" reinforces the lure. Take bright, young coaches and mold them, promote them within the organization, then turn them loose upon the NFL.

I compare it to John Calipari at University of Kentucky churning through "one and done" basketball recruits. Pete Carroll knows that creating a path of success for others will perpetuate success for himself. It is a proven business model that transcends sports and is a desired attribute for leaders within the military as well.

I expect that Pete will have a decent "coaching tree" before it is all said and done. I also expect that at the time he eventually retires, he will recommend an "in house" coach to Paul Allen. He may be grooming the next head man now.

No speculation. It's pretty much right out of his book.

And I believe that in house future HC candidate is none other than Marquand Manuel.

Ruminator

Reaction score
McGruff":ttce4f04 said:

And I believe that in house future HC candidate is none other than Marquand Manuel.

Fresh off last weekend's insane NFCC game, it's a little weird seeing him in Packer yellow on Wikipedia. I guess he was a Seahawk under Holmgren the year they went to Super Bowl XL. I confess I don't know a great deal about this guy, so am curious as to if there's anything in particular about him, besides the fact he has held various assistant coach positions, that suggest he could eventually be PC's successor.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Extremely well-deserved. I've been wondering why he hasn't gotten more looks for DC positions to begin with. I hope he stays in-house, personally.

I love the way Carroll is spreading his disciples around the league.

McGruff

Reaction score
Ruminator":33dqi223 said:
McGruff":33dqi223 said:

Fresh off last weekend's insane NFCC game, it's a little weird seeing him in Packer yellow on Wikipedia. I guess he was a Seahawk under Holmgren the year they went to Super Bowl XL. I confess I don't know a great deal about this guy, so am curious as to if there's anything in particular about him, besides the fact he has held various assistant coach positions, that suggest he could eventually be PC's successor.

In a handful of interviews he presents very well, and even as a player he embodied the competitive mantra Pete preaches. During the 2005 SB run, he was on Pruitt in practices to be prepared and practive like a starter, but Pruitt didn't listen, and we all saw what happened.

Manuel is one those guys that moves naturally into coaching because he had to work hard as a player and play smarter than others.

chris98251

Reaction score
Many here that have been around have been touting Richards ability for a while, he has been well under the radar for most people unfamiliar with the Seahawks, but has been so so important to our DB's development. I think his loss could be more significant the Quinns to be honest, mostly in the teaching department.

kobebryant

Reaction score
McGruff":e6fkz4we said:
Mick063":e6fkz4we said:

Two good posts.

So much of who the next in house HC may be is really going to come down to timing. As Bradley, Quinn and Richard all seem like guys you could envision being that guy; but they could be HCs elsewhere by the time Pete walks away.

That's why Manuel is a fairly intelligent guess, as you have to be kind of estimating who is going to have been rising the ranks, yet not left yet, right around the time Pete steps away.

Manuel's timing could line up perfectly, as could possibly Nate Carroll's and Robert Saleh's (currently in Jax).

Though I do think Richard is the guy coming up; fills the bald head/goatee requirement.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1uindyqp said:
Reports are coming out that Raheem Morris is the guy in Atlanta.

Yep.

Sounds like Kris Richard will be the guy here. Probably minutes after Quinn is announced.

Latest posts